IGNORED

New Callaway Razr x HL's.....took 20 strokes off my first two rounds of 9 combined

Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All I can say is, wow. Golf Digest was 100% correct in labeling these the Gold "Most Game Improving Irons". They are very forgiving and the loft im getting from these are insane. On Thursday I shot the back 9 at the local course in which I average a 63 (terrible i know) and shot a 51. Yesterday I went out and shot a 53 on the front which I average a 61. The worst part is, I am just getting used to distance on these and I could easily have took off another 4-5 strokes had I chosen the correct club. I am hitting the 8 iron a consistent 170 with these, which to me seems pretty damn impressive. A+++++++++++++ for these things! My irons used to be a part of my game I was afraid of, now I wish thats all I had to use.

I have to say I agree these are great clubs. I just got a set of these 3H, 4-SW at the beginning of May. They took some getting used to as I started out hooking them but once I figured that out its been great. I still love my x-14s but these bad boys are gonna be worn out by the time I'm done with them.

I you took 20 strokes off by simply changing clubs, I would immediately assume that your old clubs were ill-fitting for you, and the name on the club has less to do with it than those simply being closer to what you need.  Clubs aren't going to magically change your game that much unless you're coming from a set that's flawed.  I'm sure confidence has a large effect as well.  If you're confident with a certain club in your hand, typically you'll hit it better.  Either way, it's a nice feeling.

Hopefully the honeymoon doesn't end for you.  I've bought a few "magic clubs" over the years that I hit super-well the first couple times out, but then the magic faded.

But saying that, I'm happy that you seem to have found a set that fits you.  I felt the same way with my Mizunos, and then again when I had the shafts swapped from S300's to PX5.0's.  It's always nice when you make changes that feel good and you see an improvement.

You are either a Callaway PR man or your previous clubs were so bad the you would have improved 20 shots with a fence paling. The club itself is not responsible for the distance gain.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Played this week with a guy that had just bought the Razr HL's and he felt the same way as OP.  He was hitting them far, and pretty accurately despite them being brand new.  Looks like Callaway got it right with this set, question is can they overcome the TM marketing machine or will they go down as the best set of irons no one ever heard of.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like how the OP hits his 8 iron 170, if theres no wind and if he's not hitting downhill, he would have a tour-level swing speed.  Impressive (and impossible) for a guy who shoots 100.

Originally Posted by blue72ss

I like how the OP hits his 8 iron 170, if theres no wind and if he's not hitting downhill, he would have a tour-level swing speed.  Impressive (and impossible) for a guy who shoots 100.

I imagine this dude is just wailing on the ball with little regard for accuracy.  I play with guys that do this too.  They are actually happy when they fly the green because it means they hit the club longer than they thought they could.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

The guy that was in our foursome with the HL's was a free swinger.  I wasn't paying attention to every club he hit, but I'd guess he was hitting his 7i 160+

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I imagine this dude is just wailing on the ball with little regard for accuracy.  I play with guys that do this too.  They are actually happy when they fly the green because it means they hit the club longer than they thought they could.

Joe Paradiso

Can you hit them with your eyes closed? That is what I would have to do because I can't stand looking at them. Ugh...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased some Razr x HL's.

They are a great improvement over my past set of clubs.  While I can not make a claim congruent to the OP, I can say that I am really enjoying these irons; and that I believe they are a great choice for me.

These clubs most likely took about 3 shots off my round, but there's certainly no way of knowing for sure…maybe it's simply the "new equipment effect" .

Personally, I think Callaway got these ~just right~..

A friend of mine just got fit for the first time.  He wasn't a bad player before, but with the new clubs, hes dropped about 10 off his handicap.  If you are playing 8 year old wal-mart clubs that aren't fit for you, I'd believe huge improvements are possible.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

I have to say I agree these are great clubs. I just got a set of these 3H, 4-SW at the beginning of May. They took some getting used to as I started out hooking them but once I figured that out its been great. I still love my x-14s but these bad boys are gonna be worn out by the time I'm done with them.

I had the exact same issue when I first got mine. Never had a hook before. I just had to adjust a few things to correct some bad habits and I hit them fairly straight now. Love mine.

I got a set of these irons back in May.  I love them.  My old set was hand-me-down TaylorMade irons from the mid-1990's.  I don't know how much they've affected my overall score, but I will say I am more confident with them in my hand.

I was actually *THIS* close to getting a set of Ping G15's.  My golf pro asked if I wanted to demo the new Callaways and I hit them pretty well.  I gave them a second testing at a demo day and hit them well again, so I pulled the trigger.  They are my first set of new irons and I couldn't be happier with them.

Ping K15 12* | Ping K15 4h | Callaway Razr X HL Irons 5 - AW | Cleveland 54* and 58* wedges | Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie | Bushnell Neo GPS | Nike M9 Cart Bag

Distance is going to be a little longer with these clubs.  Standard lie for an 8 iron is supposed to be 39 degrees, Callaway has these at 36 degrees on their spec sheet.  In fact all of the clubs are running about 3 degrees less than standard (6i-GW) 4-5 irons are about 2 degrees less.

I have a new set too, since hitting my last irons i bought back in '95.  Had them reshafted with the Aerotech Steelfiber i70's.  Only played one 9 hole round with them so far and as soon as I am done here, I am off to the range for some practice with them.

To the OP good luck with them, sounds promising.

Originally Posted by Dustdevil21

Distance is going to be a little longer with these clubs.  Standard lie for an 8 iron is supposed to be 39 degrees, Callaway has these at 36 degrees on their spec sheet.  In fact all of the clubs are running about 3 degrees less than standard (6i-GW) 4-5 irons are about 2 degrees less.

I have a new set too, since hitting my last irons i bought back in '95.  Had them reshafted with the Aerotech Steelfiber i70's.  Only played one 9 hole round with them so far and as soon as I am done here, I am off to the range for some practice with them.

To the OP good luck with them, sounds promising.

How's the ball striking with them off the fairway and out of the rough? Is the forgiveness up to par?

I hit some at a local shop but haven't played a round with them and I'd love to know what you're thinking of them! Thanks.

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Driver (9.5*, graphite, stiff)   |  

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Fairway Wood (15*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Cobra Baffler T-Rail Hybrid (19*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Callaway Razr X HL 4-PW (steel, stiff)   |

|   Callaway X-Series Jaws Chrome Wedges (54.12, 58.8, steel, stiff) |

|   Vulcan Putter   |

|   Callaway Diablo HX Diablo, Bridgestone E6 Balls |

I have to agree that these XLs have helped me lower my scores, but only by about 2 strokes right now. I have used them for about 10 rounds and I do very much like the way the swing and strike the ball. I was fitted and ended up with 2* up and TT GS-95 shafts. I came from Ping Zing 2 graphite but hit these HLs much better.

I however only hit the 8i about 140 yards right now.

I understand your elation at having clubs that fit just right. My Ci11's are like gold to me. They didnt take strokes off my game, I did that myself, but they surer did inspire confidence.

BUT, if you bought Ping EYE 2 no+'s, you would have the PGA tour knocking on your door.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!