IGNORED

Black flies....

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jamo,

Avoid Crane Beach in Ipswich, Plum Island in Newbury the end of July and Cape Ann golf course in Exeter.  When you drive by the marshes, you will see all these black boxes in the marsh.  They are there to capture the massive green head population!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Geezo, after last weeks storms the mosquito population has pinned the f'n needle. I was out side practicing in long pants, long sleeves and a mosquito net over my head. I had hundreds on me. Yuck

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I encounter all the usual pests (black flies/no-seeums, deer flies, horse flies, mosquitoes) although they haven't been as bad this year as other years.  The type of repellent matters a lot.  I only use DEET at concentrations >20%....usually significantly higher applied to exposed skin.   Also try permethrin on clothes if the bugs are really bad.  If those don't work, I don't know what to tell you.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I'm pretty certain, based on the replies in this thread, that some folks have not ever encountered Black Flies. You have nooooo idea of the insanity they can cause. Black flies are like having a hundred nano-bot attackers swarm you all at once. And they seek out the most painful prone areas to bite. Black flies are deer flies/horse flies/no-seeums on steroids times ten. There is nothing on the North American continent that can compare.

yep , loads of midges on my local track , drive you mad , if only they would land on my ball and roll it in for me

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Black flies are absolutely horrible, but DEET works well against them.  Had an issue with the little bastards a couple of weeks ago and sprayed myself with high concentration DEET and they went away.  Had a number dead black flies stuck to my arms and neck like pepper but dead flies are not a problem.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by JCoop

I'm pretty certain, based on the replies in this thread, that some folks have not ever encountered Black Flies. You have nooooo idea of the insanity they can cause. Black flies are like having a hundred nano-bot attackers swarm you all at once. And they seek out the most painful prone areas to bite. Black flies are deer flies/horse flies/no-seeums on steroids times ten. There is nothing on the North American continent that can compare.

I've never even heard of black flies until this thread. I live in the Vegas Desert though, haha.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by robrey85

I've never even heard of black flies until this thread. I live in the Vegas Desert though, haha.

You ever see those nature shows where the flies are crawling all over on animals eyes, nose and mouth? That is what black flies are like.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Cost of an average (but decent) starter home in Southern California:   >$600k

Country club membership initiation fees in SoCal:     >$50-150k

Not having to deal with #%&@ black flies and other nasty flying insects:   Priceless!!!!!

Hahhaha yes sir!  Actually, you can join a CC for much cheaper.  The economy is hurting courses... I was just talking to a guy I play regularly with and a club in San Jaun Capistrano is hurting so bad for members that they are recruiting folks with no up front initiation fee.  Basically just pay your monthly's and you're golden.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Hahhaha yes sir!  Actually, you can join a CC for much cheaper.  The economy is hurting courses... I was just talking to a guy I play regularly with and a club in San Jaun Capistrano is hurting so bad for members that they are recruiting folks with no up front initiation fee.  Basically just pay your monthly's and you're golden.

Up here people pay 45-90+ a round with cart; I talk to guy who play in Florida that pay $19 a round with cart all winter long. Since this is a resort area, the tracks are better off to be able to charge that. Plus nobody wants to go to California. :P Now back to topic.

The mosquitoes are so bad now. The storms have swamped us with them. There is no way to stay away. They are out 24/7. I can not be outside for more than 2 minutes without getting attacked.

I grew up in Canada and black flies can be absolutely terrible up there.  Tiny but all teeth.  We have issues with gnats in some places in Western Virginia but generally not too bad.  Legend was that they were attracted to the color blue so always avoided wearing that colour of clothes.

Note: This thread is 4314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!