IGNORED

Who Hits Their Driver Straight?

Ogogolf
Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do for the most part...

For me it's all about how I address the ball and keeping a consistent tempo. If I try to crush it, I'll usually end up slicing it and going off balance (which contributes to that slice)... If I just slow things down a little, and focus on making a good swing, I'll put it out there pretty straight and occasionally draw it a little, and I'll put it out there a ways anyway so I just need to be better about staying in that more conservative frame of mind.

Sometimes I just feel that need to try to pound it tho, lol. Can't help it! ;)

MY GEAR:

Driver/Woods/Hybrids: RBZ Tour

Irons: X Forged 2013's

Wedges: SM4's (52/56)

Putter: PROTYPE Series

Balls: HEX Black Tour/Chrome +  Pro V1x/NXT Tour

I have always tried to hit it as straight as possible right at my target. I have also suffered from severe slices since I got back into golf about 5 years ago. This past winter I decided it was time to learn how to curve the ball either way and this year my driving distance has become much better, I can more often then not put the ball in the area I want it to be, but even when I miss hit it is usually quite playable. Most of my miss hits now are that they just went straight to the right a little or left and just didn't turn instead of aiming straight and then hitting a massive slice. It's amazing just by changing my mindset and a few other things how quickly it can change things.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have learned to hit a draw or fade off the tee. It's the only club I can control ironically. The miss is a dead straight pull hard. Working on not clearing my hips and left shoulder for that miss. Mostly though if I work for a draw, it goes fairly straight to slight draw or I can get a 10 yard fade. I play it like someone mentioned above, taking one side out of play, generally left.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

When I was a youngster I developed a very prominent fade/slice, and then I spent time curing it and for years hit a nice draw. As I've gotten older my draw became an erratic hook, and I didn't like where that was taking me on the course. So I worked at it again and I now can hit a ball that is almost straight or has a slight fade to it; the draw is still there if the hole requires it but it takes effort and concentration on making sure the draw doesn't present itself as the ugly pull hook that it had become.

Players play, tough players win!

I never really gave this much thought until I read the post, but I would say I try to hit my drive straight, but rarely do.  I usually hit a slight fade to a power fade.  If I didn't try to play a straight drive I would hit a huge banana!  All that being said, my miss is to the right 99% of the time, so if I set up in such a way that a straight ball would not hit into trouble, then I miss the straight ball and get a fade, all is well.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

If I have a straight shot, I will hit it straight. It is my natural hit...maybe a tiny bit of draw. If I HAVE to turn it, then thats when I try to turn it. So to answer your question: Yes, I hit my driver straight.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

I never used to - changed a few things this season, averaging 9.5 fairways compared to last years 5

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Thanks for the honest and nice posts guys. This was my first post on Sandtrap.Com and I appreciate the honest responses.

Sidebar: I walked 9 yesterday after posting my question on here and proceeded to block every dang Drive I took. All started right (as wanted) and stayed right, lol. 1 block turned out fine (hit the green in two), but the other 6 got me in trouble each time. LOL. Ironic.

I guess the MacGod of Golf was messing with me yesterday, lol.

~ogo

Since I replaced my antique Wilson Orca driver with a TM Burner my drives have gotten much straighter. Sometimes there is no perceivable curve at all. That said, I'm working on learning a slight draw. I also have an old Nomad 19* fairway driver that is the straightest club in the bag.

I hit a low slightly fading shot with the driver. Occasionally I'll hit a slice when I don't turn my wrists over in the swing and leave the club face open. That may happen twice a round and it's usually when I try to crush it

i typically hit a mid-trajectory straight drive.  even when i hit a drive that goes way off line, it's very rarely a slice or a hook, but more often a dead-straight pull/push.

What is this "straight" thing you speak of?  Never heard of that word in the same sentence with "wood" or "driver"...

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

I learned this leson last saturday. Have barely played with it but for a round and a half it was fantastic. Im hoping it stays consistent because the biggest problem with golf is one day this works then it doesnt.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I have never met anyone who hits a straight shot with the driver. I know some guys who consistently find the middle of the fairway but their ball flights were rarely straight. Achieving a square club face in relation to club head path withn the driver is reliably unachievable at best.

Originally Posted by Patrick57

I have never met anyone who hits a straight shot with the driver. I know some guys who consistently find the middle of the fairway but their ball flights were rarely straight. Achieving a square club face in relation to club head path withn the driver is reliably unachievable at best.

But I thought you were some kind of wizard that could pull off any shot? Disappointed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I play a stock draw for all of my shots. Come from the inside while turning hard to the left. Sometimes I zero out (or come close to) my path and angle and smack one that looks pretty dead straight, but there's still minimal movement right to left.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

I don't ever step up and think, "hit it straight". Every shot I hit I have a plan on which way I want it to move. It may not always do what I tell it to but at least I have a plan and more often than not your body will work to execute that plan. If you are just thinking "oh man I  hope I hit it at the target" then you are doomed from the get go.

I also have worked hard to NOT be a 1 shape guy. My natural shape is a draw but that it not always the best option and sometimes it may not be available due to trees etc. I've worked to be able to turn it both ways and that gives me options and helps me feel more in control. Plus it looks and feels awesome when you hit a big draw with your driver and then fade a 9 iron into the green and then the next hole you cut your 3W and then draw a 6 iron out around some branches onto the green . Makes you feel like a real golfer :)

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!