IGNORED

Is it legal to use your putter to line up your putt?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Say I marked my ball, and I then took my putter and laid it down on the ground (the shaft) as a line to where I want to putt. I then placed the ball, with the alignment marker on the ball on that line of the shaft of the putter, picked up the putter and then putt. Is that legal?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by ajst22

Say I marked my ball, and I then took my putter and laid it down on the ground (the shaft) as a line to where I want to putt. I then placed the ball, with the alignment marker on the ball on that line of the shaft of the putter, picked up the putter and then putt. Is that legal?

Never heard this one.  I'm assuming you are placing the putter behind the ball.   Rule 8-2b prohibits you from touching the green in order to point out a "line for putting".  I always thought of "line for putting" as a point in the direction towards the hole....not behind the ball.  Not sure on this one....have to think about it.

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Never heard this one.  I'm assuming you are placing the putter behind the ball.   Rule 8-2b prohibits you from touching the green in order to point out a "line for putting".  I always thought of "line for putting" as a point in the direction towards the hole....not behind the ball.  Not sure on this one....have to think about it.

Exactly...lining up the putter behind the ball and I wasn't sure either. Matt Kuchar actually comes to mind now because I think he does something like this.

You may not touch the line of putt but that only runs from the ball to the hole. If your club was on the side away from the hole there is no problem.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

You may not touch the line of putt but that only runs from the ball to the hole. If your club was on the side away from the hole there is no problem.

How about for full swing shots from the tee box or fairway?  Are you allowed to lay a club on the ground to verify proper alignment?

Originally Posted by Chipless

How about for full swing shots from the tee box or fairway?  Are you allowed to lay a club on the ground to verify proper alignment?

As long as it is no longer there when you take your swing.

Why not put the ball on the ground with the alignment mark on the ball going where you want it, then stand behind the ball and use your club (in your hands) to make sure the line is pointing the to right spot?  If the alignment mark on the ball is parallel to with your putter you're aiming correctly.  Does that make sense?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by ajst22

I saw on TV someone do this today in the Open.  I have to assume that it is OK.  I don't remember the exact sequence that he did, but at one point his putter was lying on the green directly behind the ball or mark with the shaft lined up toward the hole or line toward the hole.

Originally Posted by ndb8fxe

I have to assume that it is OK.

You don't have to assume. There is no rule prohibiting such an action. Therefore it is OK.

The two conditions that must be met are that the line of putt must not be touched and the alignment club must be removed before the stroke is made.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

You don't have to assume. There is no rule prohibiting such an action. Therefore it is OK.

The two conditions that must be met are that the line of putt must not be touched and the alignment club must be removed before the stroke is made.

Rule 8.2b states that the putting green must not be touched when pointing out a line for putting.  Does laying a putter behind the ball constitutes pointing out a line for putting? If so, then I can't see how there isn't a penalty.

• Administrator
Rule 8.2b states that the putting green must not be touched when pointing out a line for putting.  Does laying a putter behind the ball constitutes pointing out a line for putting? If so, then I can't see how there isn't a penalty.

Look up the definition for "line of putt" in the Rules. [QUOTE] Line Of Putt The “line of putt’’ is the line that the player wishes his ball to take after a stroke on the putting green. Except with respect to Rule 16-1e, the line of putt includes a reasonable distance on either side of the intended line. The line of putt does not extend beyond the hole.[/QUOTE] It doesn't extend beyond the hole, nor behind the golf ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Look up the definition for "line of putt" in the Rules.
Quote:
Line Of Putt
The “line of putt’’ is the line that the player wishes his ball to take after a stroke on the putting green. Except with respect to Rule 16-1e, the line of putt includes a reasonable distance on either side of the intended line. The line of putt does not extend beyond the hole.
It doesn't extend beyond the hole, nor behind the golf ball.

Rule 8.2 does not refer to the line of putt, it refers to a "line for putting" - they are not the same thing.

[QUOTE]b. On the Putting Green When the player’s ball is on the putting green, the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke, point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE] 16-1. General a. Touching Line of Putt The line of putt must not be touched except: (i) the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down; [COLOR=FF00AA] (ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down [/COLOR];[/QUOTE] I get a bit confused by these two rules. One says you can't touch the green, the other says you can put a club down.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by pogle

Rule 8.2 does not refer to the line of putt, it refers to a "line for putting" - they are not the same thing.

But can you tell us what the difference is?

Hi Rulesman,

I'm trying to get this confirmed, but if you touch the green at a point beyond the hole to indicate an aim point for your partner, are you not indicating the line of play and in breach of R8-2b?  I realize the line of play does not extend past the hole, however 8-2a prohibits a mark on an extension past the hole during the stroke.  Just seems strange that if the Rules meant the LOP for R8-2b, why didn't they just say that instead of using the term Line for putting.

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Hi Rulesman,

I'm trying to get this confirmed, but if you touch the green at a point beyond the hole to indicate an aim point for your partner, are you not indicating the line of play and in breach of R8-2b?  I realize the line of play does not extend past the hole, however 8-2a prohibits a mark on an extension past the hole during the stroke.  Just seems strange that if the Rules meant the LOP for R8-2b, why didn't they just say that instead of using the term Line for putting.

Given the precision with which terms are used in the rules, I think you're correct and 8-2b is not limited to the Line of Putt. It seems apparent that you're not allowed to touch the green while indicating a line, regardless of whether you're on the actual Line of Putt. After all, the line you'd point out would be the starting direction, only a small portion of which would be on the Line of Putt if there's a significant break.

As for how this bears on the original question, I don't know. Given that you're allowed to ground your club, including ahead of the ball, you're clearly allowed to touch the green in a limited context while pointing out a line. It's easy to understand that as different from the sort of action considered in 8-2b. Laying the club on the green is a lot less clear to me.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• Administrator
You can put a club on the ground behind the ball. Heck, you can use your putter to mark your ball's position if you want. I'm not sure why this is confusing. You can't point to a spot on the green and touch it to indicate the line of the putt. You can't have an alignment aid present when making a stroke. You can't test the surface of the green. Other than that, what other rules could possibly prevent you from setting your putter down on the green? Heck, you can set another club down behind your ball if you want, so long as you move it before you make your stroke. BTW, rather than do whatever you're doing, get some ball markers like this and you won't need to use your putter: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/278516/width/640/height/320][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/278516/width/640/height/320[/IMG][/URL]

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!