IGNORED

Is it legal to use your putter to line up your putt?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfwhat

Hi I'm new to this forum. Still can't figure out how to post a new question So I'm replying to this similar one. I have a friend who ground his putter After he had aligned his ball. Then he picked up the ball and realigning it again While keeping the putter in place. Is this legal?

This might help.

20-1/16

Method Used to Mark Position of Ball

Q. The Note to Rule 20-1 provides that "the position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball." Is a player penalized if he uses an object that is not similar to a ball-marker or small coin to mark the position of his ball?

A. No. The provision in the Note to Rule 20-1 is a recommendation of best practice, but there is no penalty for failing to act in accordance with the Note.

Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

• placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;
  • using a tee;
  • using a loose impediment;
  • scratching a line, provided the putting green is not tested (Rule 16-1d ) and a line for putting is not indicated (Rule 8-2b ). As this practice may cause damage to the putting green, it is discouraged.

However, under Rule 20-1 it is necessary to physically mark the position of the ball. Reference to an existing mark on the ground does not constitute marking the position of a ball. For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green.

When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player's stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed.

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He ground his club behind the ball after he position the ball. At this point the ball is in the center of his putter. He then kept one hand on the club to keep it in place and then use the other hand to pick up the ball to realign. He then stand back up pick up his club and then ground it again before he putt. He's been playing this way for a while with me but other people are starting to point that out so I'm just trying to find out for sure what is legal. Thank you for your help!

Also, looking at this thread, I see there was some confusion regarding R8-2b

I did ask the USGA on this.  Touching the green behind the hole, or off to the side is a breach of the rule if you are doing so to indicate a line for putting.  In otherwords, if anyone (players, caddies) touches the green to indicate a direction for playing a stroke , while your ball is on the green, it is a penalty.

Regards,

John

The decision says toe, however it was probably written before all the different shaped heads have come on the market.  Some look like pancake flippers, others TV antennas.

The whole idea is to accurately replace the ball.  Can your friend do this with his putter?  Is he using a line on the top of the putter?  Using a putter is not necessarily a breach.  Not getting the ball accurately marked is.

Regards,

John

You say the ball is at the centre of the face.

If the face is more than 4" wide and there is no alignment mark in the centre, in the light of Decision 21-1/20, I would suggest that the ball is not marked with sufficient accuracy.

20-1/20

Player Places Ball-Marker Approximately Two Inches Behind Ball

Q. A player consistently places his ball-marker approximately two inches behind the ball on the green. He says that he does so to ensure that he does not accidentally move the ball. Does such a procedure comply with the Rules?

A. No. A player who places a ball-marker two inches behind his ball cannot be considered to have marked the position of the ball with sufficient accuracy. Accordingly, each time he does so, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke, as provided in Rule 20-1 , and must place the ball as near as possible to the spot from which it was lifted (Rule 20-3c ).

• 2 years later...
16-1. General

a. Touching Line of Putt

The line of putt must not be touched except:

(i) the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down;

(ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down;

I get a bit confused by these two rules. One says you can't touch the green, the other says you can put a club down.

Does 16-1 (ii) allow me to place my putter toward the hole in front of my marker to align my putt?   I quickly read the entire thread but am not clear about what 16-1 (ii) allows me to do in this case (placing the club in front of the marker to align the putt).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Does 16-1 (ii) allow me to place my putter toward the hole in front of my marker to align my putt?   I quickly read the entire thread but am not clear about what 16-1 (ii) allows me to do in this case (placing the club in front of the marker to align the putt).

I'm not sure if you mean laying the whole club on the ground or placing the sole of the head in front of the marker.

If the former, you will not be addressing the ball. You need to be standing with your club pretty upright in a position to make a stroke. You may place the sole on the ground in front of or behind the ball.

If the latter, you cannot be addressing the ball if there is no ball there.

I'm not sure if you mean laying the whole club on the ground or placing the sole of the head in front of the marker.

If the former, you will not be addressing the ball. You need to be standing with your club pretty upright in a position to make a stroke. You may place the sole on the ground in front of or behind the ball.

Remember how Nick Price addressed his putts? Club in front, club in back, hit. Used to be pretty typical, hardly ever see it anymore.

This rule shows that old method is legal. Nothing more.

I'm sure there are still Nick Price putting videos out there somewhere on youtube if you want to see it---

Just remembered, I think Bob Gilder was another one with this method as well---

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I meant laying down the whole club thus:   me standing behind ---> marker --> club  pointing to hole --> hole.    I line up the ball while the club is on the green, pick up my marker & putter, and then address & putt.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I meant laying down the whole club thus:   me standing behind ---> marker --> club  pointing to hole --> hole.    I line up the ball while the club is on the green, pick up my marker & putter, and then address & putt.

Don't know if it's legal, but I can't imagine you get too many folks that want to play with you a second time if you're doing that 20 times per round.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Quote:

Don't know if it's legal, but I can't imagine you get too many folks that want to play with you a second time if you're doing that 20 times per round.

I don't.  I did it a few times and it worked well for me.   I was wondering, if/as needed, I can use it during a tournament.  I want to do that for tricky short putts.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

That certainly sounds illegal to me. It doesn't satisfy any of the exceptions.

Why not place it behind the ball?

Quote:

That certainly sounds illegal to me. It doesn't satisfy any of the exceptions.

Why not place it behind the ball?

Thanks.  I'd better not take a chance and put the putter behind my marker.   When I put it in front, it gave much better line.   The need to place a putter happens maybe once or twice a round, if at all.  So, it may be a moot point in my next tournament.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm interpreting what I'm reading here as.... I can place my ball on the green where I had marked it, stand behind my ball to line up my putt, and set my ball marker down on that line behind my ball say by a foot or two, then address my ball and putt. And this is okay because my marker is not in between my ball and the hole.

If I'm wrong, I read everything wrong.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On the Putting Green

When the player's ball is on the putting green , the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke , point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting.

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!