IGNORED

Will Tiger Break Jack's Major Record?? (2012 Edition)

apgolf
Note: This thread is 4274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Break Jack's Professional Major Record (18)?

• Yes (19+)
    • He'll Tie (18)
    • No (<=17)

• Administrator
Amateur performances don't often translate into dominant professional careers.

Either way they really have nothing to do with this conversation unless they start stealing majors he would otherwise win.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting that the only guys under par after 36 holes of a very tough US Open are Tiger and two guys in their 40's.

Sadly, 36 holes does not a championship make......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Don't know - he is contending again, but his rounds are inconsistent. By the end of 2012, that should be enough time to see where his game is going for the next 10-12 years. Can he win 5 majors in 48 attempts? (approximate numbers)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

. Good players won more majors in Jack's time because there were so few of them.  When there are 5 guys who have the ability to some degree consistently compete in majors they are each going to win more majors than if there are 25 players who have the ability to consistently compete in majors.  Jack himself used to day that there were only a handful of guys he had to worry about in the majors.  There are lots more guys to worry about, now, which makes Tigers achievements more, not less, remarkable than Jack's.

And yet here's another example of a guy backing into a major because player after player got his pipes burst by the pressure. You say there are five times as many champion golfers in today's game (players that can execute on the back 9 on Sunday). I see a whole lot of guys that play great until they have to). Three years ago Tom Watson outplayed all but one of these modern day "athletes" at 60 years old.

• Administrator
And yet here's another example of a guy backing into a major because player after player got his pipes burst by the pressure. You say there are five times as many champion golfers in today's game (players that can execute on the back 9 on Sunday). I see a whole lot of guys that play great until they have to). Three years ago Tom Watson outplayed all but one of these modern day "athletes" at 60 years old.

Yeah, 68-68, he really backed into that one. I think the fact that Simpson won a major almost disproves your point more than it helps it. Or, to put it another way, if someone almost exactly like Lee Westwood existed in the Palmer/Nicklaus era, I think he might have five majors by now.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by cwebbie

Guys that have proved they can't get done in the past like McDowell & Furyk? Both of who won Majors as front runners?

67% of you think he'll win 19 or more? You guys smoke good stuff around here, please pass it this way. Tiger may win one or two more Majors, but 19 is not happening. He's too far gone, his body has been failing him, and there are some very good young players on Tour now. It's good for the Tour to see Tiger hanging around on Sunday, but Tiger in his prime doesn't start a Sunday by going bogey, bogey, double. It would be nice to see the media move on and start to give other players their due.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Originally Posted by muggs

67% of you think he'll win 19 or more? You guys smoke good stuff around here, please pass it this way. Tiger may win one or two more Majors, but 19 is not happening. He's too far gone, his body has been failing him, and there are some very good young players on Tour now. It's good for the Tour to see Tiger hanging around on Sunday, but Tiger in his prime doesn't start a Sunday by going bogey, bogey, double. It would be nice to see the media move on and start to give other players their due.

So he'll win 2 more, but winning another 3 is so absurd that the people must be high on recreational drugs?  Got it!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by brocks

Interesting that the only guys under par after 36 holes of a very tough US Open are Tiger and two guys in their 40's. Meanwhile, the young turks like Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy have the weekend off.

I'm going to credit Tiger for 1/2 of a major, in recognition of his (co-)leading after Friday .... only 3 1/2 more to go to catch Jacks record!!!

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

So he'll win 2 more, but winning another 3 is so absurd that the people must be high on recreational drugs?  Got it!

Huh? He has 14.

I'll type this slow so you can follow. Like I said, I think he may get one or two more. 14 + 1 = 15  and 14 + 2 = 16  Now, in order to win 19 or more, he'd have to win at least 5 more Majors.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread though.

Huh? He has 14.

I'll type this slow so you can follow. Like I said, I think he may get one or two more. 14 + 1 = 15  and 14 + 2 = 16  Now, in order to win 19 or more, he'd have to win at least 5 more Majors.

Well if we are comparing apples to apples.  Jack really has 20 majors and Tiger has 17, so he only needs 3 more to tie.  US Ams count in their case.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• Administrator
Huh? He has 14.

I took that to mean "if he can win 2 more (to get to 16), he can win 3 more on top of that (to get to 19)."

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

Huh? He has 14.

Well if we are comparing apples to apples.  Jack really has 20 majors and Tiger has 17, so he only needs 3 more to tie.  US Ams count in their case.

So Ryan Moore has the same number of majors as Tom Kite? Cool!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

So Ryan Moore has the same number of majors as Tom Kite? Cool!!

They say if you win a professional major then the ams count.  By they I mean Jack and other champions.

Who are "they"? Were they a sportswriter when Bobby Jones was still competing? Of course the modern amateur titles don't count.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

I took that to mean "if he can win 2 more (to get to 16), he can win 3 more on top of that (to get to 19)."

Could have been what he meant.

Who are "they"? Were they a sportswriter when Bobby Jones was still competing? Of course the modern amateur titles don't count.

There is definitely a school of thought out there that consider Ams to be majors.  If you go by historical signifcance then the British and US Ams are majors, but then so again is the Western Open.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

There is definitely a school of thought out there that consider Ams to be majors.  If you go by historical signifcance then the British and US Ams are majors, but then so again is the Western Open.

Yeah, I've read that too. People who tried to justify Bobby Jones being ranked as a better player than Tom Watson, Ben Hogan, Gene Sarazen, etcetera. Jones played against lesser competition.

Maybe Tiger can retire for a couple years, get reinstated as an amateur then win 5 of those?

Note: This thread is 4274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!