IGNORED

Stop Slice, Control Fade

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so my natural flight path is fade/slice but I have some problems controlling the fade and it becomes a slice. Anyone know the reason why this happens and how to prevent the slice without making it a draw?

Also what do you do when there are trees blocking your fade path or trouble on the right? everyone says having a fade takes out the left side of the course but what is your thoughts when trouble right or can't aim left?

After a bad tee shot it does not mean the hole is over, it means you have an opportunity to show what you are made of!

play a draw or if you cant learn to hit a draw or club down to something you can draw or at least shoot straight.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I know how to play a draw but that is not my natural swing so a fade seems more realistic and more consistant just want to know the difference between slice and fade swings.

After a bad tee shot it does not mean the hole is over, it means you have an opportunity to show what you are made of!

I wish I knew exactly I always fought a slice and would always just try and hit it straight. well just the other day I said I am just going to try and fade it. I felt like I exagerated the movements that made me slice and I ended up with a pretty controlled fade. There are a number of mistakes that can be made and without a swing video nobody can really diagnose it but the formula for a straight shot is simple. straight ball bath and square face. You are getting one or both of these wrong. This article really helped me alot. Draw is by no means my natural swing either. I pull it off maybe 1/3 times but thats why you learn to hit it for those cases where its your only good option. http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

The fade turns into a slice when your clubface gets too open to the path. work on a way of getting the face more closed at impact and the fade will  be controlled, but do it too much and it will turn into a pull. But then this is the fun of golf. Clubface control is the real skill of golf, and is very variable. Its the reason why most pro's are hitting only 60% fairways and 60% greens.

My recommendation to you is to go to the range and work with closing the face through some method of your choice (I use a closed face at address, or stronger grip, or more hand rotation). Then you have a tool to close the face more if it starts going awry on the course.

Try to think less on the course, which should give you a more consistent pattern. If the slice starts occurring, implement one of your tools in the practice swing. If that doesnt work, then do it over the ball too. If that doesnt work, then aim at the left side of the course. After your round of golf, go and work on your 'face closing tool' again until it just becomes instinct.

hey thanks I will definetly get working on that. Also getting the clubface square at impact does not mean to flip the club over early right but to just twist your wrists in more at impact? I notice that I try to square the face more by flipping the clubface earlier (not a good idea)  and results in a hook =\

Sounds to me like you have an over the top swing. and your pull slicing/fading. Honestly its really really hard to hit a push slice, its hard to keep the clubface that open at impact. You need to start getting that club comming from the inside more, then you can hit a good draw

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

Sounds to me like you have an over the top swing. and your pull slicing/fading. Honestly its really really hard to hit a push slice, its hard to keep the clubface that open at impact. You need to start getting that club comming from the inside more, then you can hit a good draw

My typical very slight draw is bad news on our 8th hole with the tee is back right. I try to hit a push fade but it just goes perfectly straight. Staightest ball I ever hit actually. Wish I had the confidence to pull that shot out of the bag under pressure.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Well I might have a slight over the top swing but its not dramatic. I have been able to hit a draw before and I know how to do it but for me its just not as consistant. and today I did find out it was keeping my clubface too open at impact, I brought my wrists in just a bit at impact and I had a controled fade!! I hit 7/8 fairways today =) 6/9 GIR =), but 22 putts lol a horrible day of putting

• 1 year later...

I am always fighting to keep my slice under control. What works for me is keeping my right elbow tucked into my hip on my downswing and not swinging too hard. If I do those two things I can hit a pretty straight ball about 240 yards. The more I work on keeping my right elbow in with my driver the better Im hitting my irons too. I do 100 repetitions a day with an orange whip to groove the move.

Saevel25 has it right its more than likely OTT swing, but with any fade slice the face is open to the path.

If your ball is starting fairly straight then curves to the right the path is too out to in (OTT) with a square face. All you have to do is get the club more on plane, from the inside. You need to start the swing with your lower body(hips), rotating your hips and shift your weight onto you left side while keeping your head steady, behind the ball through impact.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My natural fade is with my 7 w , I dont try to hook it unless I have an perched lie.

I also prefer to play my 3w /driver with hook baise, and just play a slice only  off the deck.

I just go with my natural curves, if I have a hole which fairway is cut the opposite of what is natural,

like say dogleg left to right curving around 250 yards then I will try to straighten out my hook rather than to try a fade.

If there is a right to left with tight fairway around 225 and dont want to choke down on my 3 wood then I will try to straigten the fade my 5wood

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!