IGNORED

New TaylorMade Ghost Spider putter

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the last few months watching the PGA tour I've been seeing more and more of the TaylorMade spider putters, both belly and standard. Last weekend there were several guys up on the leaderboard using them and Faldo keep raving about them (I know he's a TM guy). I'm consider myself a pretty good putter but I'm also one to try new stuff just to see. I'm also the type to give it a quick try at the shop and buy to try at the course, I'll never base a decision on how a club performs at the range.

Anyway, I thought I would try one of these putters. FedEx delivered it today and I'll have it on the practice green tomorrow at lunch, and I'll do a review after a few rounds with it. FIY, my current putter is a Odyssey White Ice #9 so this is a bit of a change.

DSC01759.JPG DSC01760.JPG DSC01761.JPG

Very interested in how you like your new Spider. I use an Odyssey Backstryke and my only complaint is the insert is too soft. Seems like the Spider would have more of a solid "click" coming off the face?

Hope you enjoy. Im not a fan of the look of them, but I hear the feel from them is amazing.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Tried one on a few holes last weekend. I liked the feel of it. Some people didn't like the looks of it, but then again, most don't like the looks of my putter either. I use an Odyssey tri ball SRT. It's huge, and looks funny in the bag, but I have loved it ever since the first time I picked it up.

Originally Posted by Tuflehundon

Tried one on a few holes last weekend. I liked the feel of it. Some people didn't like the looks of it, but then again, most don't like the looks of my putter either. I use an Odyssey tri ball SRT. It's huge, and looks funny in the bag, but I have loved it ever since the first time I picked it up.

I've always liked the look of a traditional shaped putter and didn't really care for anything shaped odd, even some of the mallet putters that have been around forever. But, I to the point in my game if it can help shave just one stroke off per round, I'll try it. I'm lucky enough to have a local muni course about 2 miles from my office so it's easy to go practice putting at lunch. The way the putter is shaped with the weights way out on the edge, makes it easy to keep it square through the entire stroke. I'll have it in the bag tomorrow for out 7am tee time.

I tried the Tri Ball SRT out just to see what the heck it was. First saw it at GolfSmith in Orlando. I remember asking my buddy who in the world would by something as ugly as that? Thought it was a monstrosity. Then I tried it. It may have looked odd, but I hit it very well, and loved the feel of it. Ended up buying one, and have used it ever since. My buddy Mike still gives me flak for what I said to. Took me a few to get past the looks of it, but the more I used it, the more I loved the way it hit, and the less I cared about the looks of it. I actually like the way it looks now.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got several rounds with the putter now and like it more and more each round. Allignment is so easy and short putts seem almost automatic with way the weights help keep the face square back and through impact. The only thing I haven't gotten used to is on longer putts I have to make an asserted effort to make sure to get the ball to the hole. Seems like my normal "feel stroke" for longer putts will come up short everytime. I'm hoping after some more time the feel with come along with this putter like my other putters.

I tried one briefly at a store but it felt too awkward to take the plunge. I did like the Manta and will be going back for a round two tryout this week. Did you give the Manta a go around as well?

I've been interested in this one, I'd like to try it !

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I have owned it in a belly putter since December.  I love that putter, my lag is so good with it and inside 5 feet is as good as in.  I just out on the super stroke belly putter grip on it and that thing is amazing.

This is the model Ghost Spider you might be seeing the TM tour pros gaming. It has a slant neck. Hoping TM will release this model soon, would love to try it.

6720116.jpg

G1levinTonyDejakAP.jpg

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

I bought this putter back in April and I really like it. I like the weight to it, it helps me keep the line during the swing. Also thought I'd mention I never play a round without someone commenting on how big it is. The most popular comment is asking whether it gets satellite reception. I normally laugh and smile, but truth be told I kind of wonder myself...

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

• 5 months later...
Do you guys still like this putter? IM thinking about one or a Scotty Cameron. any more opinions would be awesome

I ended up using the spider for amount a month or so and bought a Ping Nome belly putter. Been using the belly ever since. The one issue I found with the large head of the spider was when using it just off the green it was hard to make clean contact, the head would get hung up n the grass.

• 2 years later...
Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!