IGNORED

Just Bought an Old Set of Ben Hogan Apex Plus; Anyone Ever Played Them?

Note: This thread is 1686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I happened to be looking for a decent ballpark figure for a buddy of mine on ebay the other day and stumbled across a set 2-E for $65 shipped. Being a huge fan of Ben Hogan and his company before Callaway killed it, I couldn't resist. They just came today and to my surprise, the clubs are in better than good condition. I swear the 2 and 3 have not even been swung. Just wanted some input on how good these things are.

they are good sweet clubs, I have played the same set for 11 years and just put a new set I'd been saving into play.  But, the long irons are not super forgiving with off center hits, so if you are not a 12 hcp or below they might not be your best fit

I played them back in the mid-80's. Along with a sweet set of Titleist persimmons.... Nice irons. Great feel and workability but not even a little forgiving...... ......unless you're an awfully good ball striker, you'll figure out pretty quickly why that 2 iron hasn't seen much use! Nice buy though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have 2 sets of the Apex Plus, both are 3-E.  I'm a 12 hndcp and a decent ball striker, if I wanted to buy a new set of clubs with the same feel I would have to spend over $1200 with the fitting.  I'll keep my Hogans.

I play a used set of Apex Plus irons (3-E) that I found at the local GolfUSA for $85.  I've never been fit for clubs, and I'd like to do that, but man-oh-man, I really like the Apex Plus!

And contrary to what people have posted above, I'm about a 14 handicap, and I find the clubs plenty-forgiving for me.

I wish they were still made.

I guess the question I'd want to ask the rest of the forum is this: what club that is currently made today, most resembles the Hogan Apex Plus irons?

Thanks for the replies guys. I took them to the range today for the first time and my god was the 2-iron hard to hit. After about 10 wormburners I put it away. I have a tendency to hit off the toe from time to time and when you do it with these, you know it lol. But when you get one right off the sweet spot its incredible. I think I'm going to put these away for awhile until I get more consistent with my ball striking. May even build a display for them to go with some old laminated woods I just redid. I have heard that the Razr X Musclebacks were derived from the Apex. And this makes sense since Callaway owned Hogan for awhile and probably stole all the ideas before selling them off. Everybody knows the Hogan BH-5s were just X-14s re-badged.

Roblar.....Get your used Hogans fitted from a local fitter, mine cost me $100 to get the loft and lie checked and turned down 1 degree.  The fitting will result in a greater percentage of "sweetspot hits."  If you like your clubs now, you'll love them after the fitting. My ball flight improved and I am hitting every club further.  Gatorcallaway.....I would not let 2 iron results even factor into your decision to "play or not play" the Hogans.  I know noone who plays a 2 iron, I carry a 2 hybrid and 3-E irons. Most amatuers in our handicap range don't even carry a 3 iron.  If you have a decent swing, give the clubs a chance and you'll be glad you did.  Because of the feedback/feel you will develop the ability to hit the ball more solidly than if you had "game improvement irons."  Good Luck!

Quote:

Roblar.....Get your used Hogans fitted from a local fitter, mine cost me $100 to get the loft and lie checked and turned down 1 degree.  ...snip...Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sadly, I checked with the local shop, and they wanted something like $400 to fit me to my current clubs -- they just tried to sell me on buying a new set.  I might try calling some places up in OKC, but $400 is a bit steep for me.

Take them to Dick's Sporting Goods if one is around you.  The certified PGA pro can bend them for you for 4.50 a club.  I take all mine that I need the lie adjusted too the one in Greece NY.  Don is a pretty decent fella and usually does them for me when I am right there.  I have several sets of GCD's Edge Hogans and truth be told if all else fails me I go back to these sticks.  Which I am about to do as I have totally sucked this week.  Anyways great sticks but made for precision golf ball striking.  thanks

Take them to Dick's Sporting Goods if one is around you.  The certified PGA pro can bend them for you for 4.50 a club.  I take all mine that I need the lie adjusted too the one in Greece NY.  Don is a pretty decent fella and usually does them for me when I am right there.  I have several sets of GCD's Edge Hogans and truth be told if all else fails me I go back to these sticks.  Which I am about to do as I have totally sucked this week.  Anyways great sticks but made for precision golf ball striking.  thanks

I got quoted 4 bux from a local guy. What shafts does everyone have? I believe I have the #4 graphites and they are a .5 inch longer than normal steel shafts. I'm thinking of pulling them and putting project x 6.0s in. Opinions?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I still have a set of 4-E Apex plus irons.  Got the #4 shafts in them.  I gamed them for a while and its actually what I learned the game on.  I got to where I could hit them well 90% of the time(never swung the 4, really) and then moved to Mizuno MX-20's.  The extra forgiveness is very nice to have but nothing beats puring a ball with one of the Apex irons.
Been thinking about trading them in because I won't ever use them again.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• 8 months later...

Hi, to be honest, I feel jealous... we don't have here in France, such a huge choice you guys have in America...

I am looking for the Apex plus 2 iron...

Do you use yours? Would you sel it to me???

Slow you swing down just a little to develop a good rhythm for those blades.

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

• 6 years later...

I had the pc's and then the FTX's.  Loved them, especially the pc's...may resurrect them one day.  The 8 iron shaft broken in the hosel though, so got to fix that.  

my 2 iron is pristine, never could really hit that thing.

Pretty old thread, but none the less, theses are great clubs. 

I still have set of them that I maded a display case for. I won them at a raffle way back when. .

The display case also has a set of Ping Eye2 Woods in immaculate condition. 

I put the Hogans under glass just because they were damn fine looking set of clubs. Too nice for me to scar up at the time.

I have an extra 6i that I bought out of a bargain bin for a few bucks. I practice with it on occassions. When I put a good impact on the ball, it's like the ball isn't even there.   

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Just Bought an Old Set of Ben Hogan Apex Plus; Anyone Ever Played Them?
Note: This thread is 1686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!