IGNORED

Question about hybrids...

Mobey
Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It may be the specific hybrids are just a poor fit for you. I had a couple Adams A3 hybrids and just could not hit the ball. I'd top it usually. Then a buddy saw I played taylormade irons and gave me a rescue mid he had lying around 16*. I can swing a 2 iron, but will drop it for the rescue club since its much easier to hit from the rough. I love it and its my go to club now. I can hit it from 140-200 by lengthening my swing. It has way more heft than the Adams so it swings like an iron. I think I just had a problem with the others being to light.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher, Aldila DVS 55-R Shaft, cutoff to 42" 4 Wood - TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast Hybrid - TaylorMade R11 Rescue, 18.5* Irons - 4-P TaylorMade R7 Wedges - Cleveland Forged 588's 50*, 54*, 60* Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Ball - Bridgestone E6 :-P

Originally Posted by inthehole

I just bought yet another hybrid & don't like it - suggest you get a 7 wood - I hit mine better than any hybrid I've owned & I've owned a lot of them

Everyone is different.  If you have trouble hitting hybrids it just sounds like a swing issue on your part.  Not saying that to be rude, it's just the truth.

With that being said, a lot of people find it easier to get the ball off the ground (especially off the fairway) with a hybrid.  Most high cappers I know struggle with their long irons and driver/woods.  (as did I until recently)

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

Everyone is different.  If you have trouble hitting hybrids it just sounds like a swing issue on your part.  Not saying that to be rude, it's just the truth.

With that being said, a lot of people find it easier to get the ball off the ground (especially off the fairway) with a hybrid.  Most high cappers I know struggle with their long irons and driver/woods.  (as did I until recently)

It's not that I have trouble hitting hybrids, I just hit the 7 wood better from the fairway, tee box and even light rough.     I prefer irons out of the deep rough anyways ... it's just a preference.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

It's not that I have trouble hitting hybrids, I just hit the 7 wood better from the fairway, tee box and even light rough.     I prefer irons out of the deep rough anyways ... it's just a preference.

I have a similar "swing issue". I have more confidence in a 3-iron than a 3-hybrid. Off the tee and from the fairway anyway. From the rough I'd lean toward a 3-hybrid, but in most cases when I'm in the rough with full 3-iron distance, I'll either choke down on a 2-hybrid or step on a 5-iron if it's a flyer lie. I've done this during practice rounds and the 3-hybrid is usually the least consistent of the 3. Darned swing issues.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Gaps are tough to fill on a golf forum - you are talking hybrids in general - and hybrids differ, shafts differ. So in general, it's tough to get specific advice unless you offer specific information.

Personally, I like a 7 wood better than a hybrid in a 21 or lower loft. 22 is pushing it, depending on the hybrid. And it depends on what 7 wood - I've had great success with a Titleist 910f 7 wd for some reason - it's small enough and the weight feels just right for me in a lite weight Bassara shaft -- the key words being "for me." I have another 7 wood  - a TM R11 Ti - that I do not hit as consistently well - I weighed them and my club maker was a little too generous with the hot melt on the R11 - even though the shafts on the two clubs are 55g - the TM weighs 12 more grams - with the added weight in the head - so until I build more muscle, I will use the Titleist.

The point being - you've got to get out there and find what works for you - we can only give decent counsel if you give specifics and even then, it's a crapshoot.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Everyone will prefer one club over another.  I prefer woods over hybrids for certain shots and vice versa.  There is a big difference between preference and not being able to hit a certain type of club.

Each individual needs to play around and figure out what works best for them personally.

Originally Posted by Mobey

Thanks guys...that is really exactly what I was looking for.  I ordered three hybrids today so I can test them out and get and idea if I'm even going to like them and how I hit them....if not I'll order a replacement for my 3 iron and learn to use it properly lol.

Thanks again for all the help

I think you'll like the hybrids. I love my 3H & 4H.

Even the most interesting man in the world doesn't carry a 3i (all the time).

He occasionally carries a 7 wd.

http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2011/12/whats-in-bag-2012-miguel-angel-jimenez.html

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Before hybrids came along I carried a 24 degree metal Taylormade Tour Cleek. I always thought of it as a 7 wood.   In my hands that little club was good for one shot -175 -180 yards with no roll.  I've played a 175 yd par 3 at one of our local courses many times that carries over 150 yards of water.  That cleek will put the ball up, over the water, and drop it straight down onto the green with maybe one small bounce depending on the dryness of the green.  But other than for shots like that I hardly ever used it.

Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!