IGNORED

Any power lifters in here?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, my plans are changing a bit.  My goals were to get below 10% BF, get my bench to 250, squat to 450, and deadlift to 450 for the year.  Anyone that knows anything about weightlifting knows that to add crazy strength, you really need to be throwing back the calories.  You can do both at once (which is what I was doing) but it takes longer and I am impatient.  So I have decided to actually do more of a bodybuilding style routine until I get to the lean level I am after (main goal) and then my metabolism will be reset, which means I can start throwing down the calories, and start making some big strength improvements.

With that being said, I am pretty close to my strength goals anyway (b=260, squat=400, deadlift=450) so I have a great base as it is.  Lean is what I want first...so that's my focus first.

I know guys on another board that reset their metabolism and are eating crazy amounts!!  It's taking them like 4500 calories a day just to even start gaining a pound.  Metabolism is where it's at!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...
I don't powerlift but I have been lifting for going on 9 years. I work out this way...after whatever set I do I grab lighter weights and do more so really I am doing 6 sets. Its the way to get the pump which is what I am after. Sometimes I start heavy and go lighter. Or start lighter and go heavy to confuse myself and my muscles. :-D If it affects your golf game it its for the better imo. I don't like the bulky look but I do have some guns on me

Originally Posted by pholmes

I agree with TN, this is a cool link about flexibility and strength, backed up by research.  http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/406/Tip-95-Strength-training-shown-to-increase-flexibility.aspx.  Tn, what site do you look at for diet info?

Yeah, I have read some of Poiquin's stuff and Norton's stuff.

I have a friend in South Carolina that is a personal trainer. He has different methods and he doesn't really keep up with the science as much as these other guys.  He has just had many years of testing and seeing what works with his clients and what not.  His methods work.  He is now the owner of a website.  I can PM you if you want, but I don't want to break any rules by throwing the site up....may be seen as advertising.  The original owner of that site was also a well known PT and was borderline genius but passed away.  It's a great site for any of that info.

Bryan A

I do a lot of lifting, mainly because I play football but I see the benefits in golf too. Do you ever find yourself hitting a shot way further than normal after a workout day? Because just last week I was playing in a tournament and was about 160 yards out, pulled out my 7, and absolutely crushed that sucker 30 yards past the green. Could this be from the constant gaining of muscle or just hitting the ball that pure?

Originally Posted by Conor

I do a lot of lifting, mainly because I play football but I see the benefits in golf too. Do you ever find yourself hitting a shot way further than normal after a workout day? Because just last week I was playing in a tournament and was about 160 yards out, pulled out my 7, and absolutely crushed that sucker 30 yards past the green. Could this be from the constant gaining of muscle or just hitting the ball that pure?

I think it's a combination. I do believe the gym helps as I just played in a scramble after not hitting a golf ball for a couple of years and I was a good club longer than I used to be.

Bryan A

• 3 months later...
I used to do some PLing but was more focused on BBing, I was training to compete in natural shows. My best was B-315x5 S-385x5 D-450x5. I then had some back/disk problems and stopped going for crazy weights. My routine now is push/pull/legs/off. On my off days I do 30 mins Of cardio and tons of stretching. I will say RDL's have done wonders for my lower back problems and posterior chain tightness. On my leg days I do lignt 15 rep deep low bar squats and 15 rep RDLs, this really stretches out my posterior chain and keeps it strong. On my pull days I do heavy rack pulls which seems to be fine for my lower back. I really believe its the bottom 4-5 inches of the deadlift that end up hurting so many people

I used to do some PLing but was more focused on BBing, I was training to compete in natural shows. My best was B-315x5 S-385x5 D-450x5. I then had some back/disk problems and stopped going for crazy weights. My routine now is push/pull/legs/off. On my off days I do 30 mins Of cardio and tons of stretching. I will say RDL's have done wonders for my lower back problems and posterior chain tightness. On my leg days I do lignt 15 rep deep low bar squats and 15 rep RDLs, this really stretches out my posterior chain and keeps it strong. On my pull days I do heavy rack pulls which seems to be fine for my lower back. I really believe its the bottom 4-5 inches of the deadlift that end up hurting so many people

I have changed my focus as well.  I really like the powerlifting, but after having surgery on my knee and now my shoulder is acting up, I don't want to be fighting this battle the rest of my life.  I think I am just going to worry more about getting lean and just maintaining that.  I am also going to get back to focusing on my golf.  I had gotten off this road for a little while and I have figured out that I miss golf more than anything else I have done.

Yeah, RDls are good.  I used to do straight leg DB deadlifts (basically the same thing) to help stretch my hamstrings. Man that felt great!

Rack pulls are good.The reason that 4-5 inches hurts so many is because so many do it wrong.  I see so many people that use their backs more than anything to get the weight started.  So many people don't realize that getting the weight off the floor is all legs and that you are leaning back when you grab the bar almost to the point of falling over. Then you are actually feeling the sensation of pulling backwards.  Once the weight is past the knees, it just a matter of firing the hips forward. People will bring the weight up, shrug their shoulders, lean WAY too far back trying to get some kind of stretch or something.  The injuries come in the people that just think you are grabbing a bar and pulling it up.  And also people that aren't patient enough to work their way up instead of throwing a bunch of weight on the bar to try and show out.  It's just like starting to run.  You may be able to run a pretty good distance, but you need to start slowly to condition everything because stressing the body that much right from the beginning is just asking for injuries. I don't even use a belt when I deadlift and have never had any problems (knock on wood).  And that was pulling up to 450lbs at 185.

Bryan A

^ I agree it has a lot to do with form, but for me (I'm 6'1) I'd rather just not risk it. Especially since I already have an Injury, one small misfire or one rep with bad form and I could be out for a long time. I absolutely love rack pulls. They has completely transformed my upper back

^ I agree it has a lot to do with form, but for me (I'm 6'1) I'd rather just not risk it. Especially since I already have an Injury, one small misfire or one rep with bad form and I could be out for a long time. I absolutely love rack pulls. They has completely transformed my upper back

I agree with you man.  That's why I'm changing my view on it.  Any deadlifting you do will really change your back.  Look at any guy that deadlifts heavy weight....their back is JACKED!!

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!