IGNORED

The inside to inside swing path.

Note: This thread is 3763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I came across this video and was very curious by it. I have a strong grip and my face was shot at the top of my swing. I took a lesson and was told to get the toe up during my takeaway and then pretend like I am swinging left in order to get club on plane. Any opinions on this method? Here is a link that explains it much better http://www.golf.com/video/stop-fats-and-thins-now

It depends, what does your ballflight look like? Do you fat it, thin it? What are your misses?

Ideally, you do want an in-to-in swing path. Video your swing, figure out what you're doing.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Here is my swing in slow motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-_FqjqHd0U I have been tweeking my swing too much so I am trying to have 1 or 2 swing thoughts and just go from there. My misses have been thin shots with a fade. My old miss prior to these swing thoguhts (toe up in takeaway and swing left) was a hook with my driver.

See our relative HCs, and take my view for what it's worth.

I'd say you're taking the club wake too far inside with too flat a shoulder plane at the top.  Notice that the plane your club is on in the back swing isn't even close to the plane it's on in the down swing.  You're WAY inside on the back swing and somewhere close a good plane on the down swing.  Not that it's impossible to play good golf that way, but it makes sense given the rest of your swing that your old miss was a big hook, and that your miss has turned into a thin fade given you're trying to force the club face not to stay so closed.

I've been working recently on correcting the same problem.  Might want to read the deep hands thread here.  One thing that's been helping me is to concentrate (taking videos of yourself at the range to check) on having the club parallel to the target line at P2 with deep hands and the club face not overly closed (though I agree with Erik that it's wrong to insiste the toe points directly up at P2, it's just preferred not to have the club face pointing almost directly at the ground there) and having the club parallel to the target line at P4 as well.

What's helped me with this is the swing thought of hands deep, then up, with the left shoulder feeling low at the top, which helps prevent rolling over the the shoulder and having such a flat shoulder plane at the top.  That shoulder thing is key for me.  If I go hands deep then "up" but still roll my shoulder over, I go back to what I did for a long time and what you do, which is sort of pull across and have the down swing plane much more the to outside than the back swing plane, but if I've kept my back swing about on the right plane, then that means I come over the top and hit big pulls or pull hooks.

Not that these are all exactly right for you, but given I'm not a teaching pro I'm just sharing what's worked for me in starting to solve some somewhat similar issues.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Swing looks pretty good to me - especially the follow-through/finish.  I'm sure somebody more qualified than myself will give you some usefull info . . but if this were my swing I would be thinking about the backswing - specifically getting the arms up higher.   I don't have v1 on this computer but if I were to draw a line through your shaft at address, you'd be under that line at the top of your backswing.  That's what I'd do, anyway - but overall a nice looking swing.

I will look into the hands deep thread. When I saw my swing on video I was shocked on how flat I am on my backswing (looked very ugly to me). My downsing seems to be fine so I have been working on getting my hands highers and taking my club back and then straight up inside of inside. As you know it's very hard to just change your swing and I dont have the capability to always video tape my swing. Are there any swing thoughts you would advise in order to make my shoulder turn less flat? I don't really want to go from flat to vertical, I want to be in between. Also the video I posted regarding the inside to inside swing path would that be a cure for this type of swing??? http://www.golf.com/video/stop-fats-and-thins-now Thanks!

Thank you amazingwacker.....I like my downswing and follow through but my backswing needs help. I have been shooting in high 70's low 80's all this year and feel that if I make a dramatic swing change it might take all summer to get back to the high 70;s. I know there is not a quick fix button but 1-2 swing thoughts and I usually can fix it myself.

Hey alexander - first of all, your welcome . .but I am like a 100 shooter (well - maybe - truthfully I don't play golf - I just practice - so I have no idea what I might shoot) . .so take my advice with a grain of salt.  I wanted to tell you, though, that you can easily video your swing anytime you want to if you have a smart phone - I use that and the swingreader app.  It lets you draw lines like v1.  I do it all the time, it doesn't have to be slow-motion to be usefull.

His analysis of what causes fat or thin shots is wrong. Given if you have an extreme steep angle, your error is less, but Tom Kyte played very good golf on the PGA tour with a very shallow attack angle, he could sweep the ball off the fairway with out taking a divot, that was not a thin shot.

Thin shots are either caused by a reverse C were your weight is so far back you end up flipping at the ball, because if you don't your going to chunk it, and you end up comming up on the ball, or its caused by loosing your posture in your swing, were your butt gets closer to the ball in the downsing, bringing your self up out of the shot.

If you want to stop chunking or thining, i would concentrate on getting pushing your hips more towards the target, and make sure to keep your head still in the downswing. It must not fall away from the target.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thank you for your input saevel. If you notice my slow motion swing (I pasted the URL in the early part of this thread) you will notice I tend to transfer my weight on my left side pretty good so I dont believe I problem falling back and flipping the hands. My misses are "worm burners" they get airborn it's just not the pure perfect ball strike. Again when I was told to swing inside and open hips I was getting better divots and ball contact but ocassionaly I would pull it left if I didnt keep the clubface open.

I don't think you're falling back and flipping your hands, I think you have a very slight early extension where you lose your tush line and extend down at the ball. It's difficult to tell without drawing lines and I don't think your camera angle is perfect. However I think it's very slight.

From the top of your swing, shift to the left leg by giving your hip a slight bump, then turn the shoulders and hips left really hard, keeping the hands low and attached to the body. Don't thrust the hips at the ball for more power, turn down at the ball for more power, like a squat type action, although I don't recommend immediately trying that. I have a pretty flat swing like you and at the top of my swing, my hands do nothing and all I do is turn turn turn to the left. If I need a fade, I'll hold off on the clubface, but that's it.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Just to make sure we are on the same page when you say I have a slight early extention do you mean my body is leaning forwards on my downswing and instead of doing that I am better off just bumping my hips to the left and turn.

Early extension (in general) is a loss of the tush line in which a golfer thrusts the hips at the ball. It's more prevalent among better players normally in which they know not to come over the top so they try to reroute the club inside-out.

Monte explains it a lot better than I do.

Good call Precis1on and saevel.  I thought I noticed some reverse-C style collapse of the front side, but wasn't sure from the camera angle.  Also, as that great video Precis1on posted notes, the butt coming forward can be a reaction to coming back too shallow and then coming down much steeper.  That's what I've noticed for myself too.  If I don't go back way shallow, it's much more natural not to thrust the hips forward early, though of course it's something to be aware of and check yourself on.  That's why I recommended fixing the super shallow take away first.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!