IGNORED

Iron vs Hybrid Distance

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
None

I plan to hit my 17-degree 585.H about 220. I can hit it 240 if I need to, and I can hit it 200 too. It replaces my 5W/2I.

I LOVE my 585h.  Mine's 19˚ though.  Mine also replaces my 5W, and frankly replaces my 3i most days too, though if I'm having a really good iron day and want the couple yards less or lower ball flight I'll hit my 20˚ 3i.  I also find there's a huge range of distances I can hit the club.

To the OP, if you're hitting your 3i 240 with accuracy (well, with relative accuracy, given you can't be THAT accurate with it if you're playing off a 15!), then there's no need for a hybrid.  But distance isn't the issue with the hybrids.  Almost everyone will tell you that if you get a hybrid that fits your swing and learn to hit it well, it hits the ball further than the iron of the same loft.  The real advantage with the hybrid is accuracy.  Most people find it easier to hit the hybrid at the target than a long iron.

For me, unless I'm hitting every iron longer than my 9i poorly that day, my 4i is often a great club for me.  My 3i only works well when I'm having a really great iron day.  So most days I'll choke up and hit my 2h instead of my 3i, cause I find the 2h goes on target more often than the 3i on those days, but I've never felt the need to replace my 4i with a hybrid.  If you feel really confident in your irons all the way down to a 3i, then no need for a hybrid.  Playing off a 15 and hitting the 3i 240, I'd guess you're swinging too hard and could score way better toning it down.  If I wanted to play off a 20 or 25 instead of a 9-10, I could hit my 3i 230, but I'd rather play with the swing where I hit it 210-215 and have it go where I want it sometimes.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Have Adams Redline 3h 4h 5h and the regular redline 6-pw compared to my Irons my hybrids are a good 10yds longer and a decent amount higher so you can bomb a hybrid on to a green and it will stay, If you try that with a 3 iron if you even hit the green your not going to stay on it, unless its a very big green or you got lucky, Also If you do have a wayward shot its alot more forgiving than a regular 3 4 or 5 iron, especially on courses where the rough is either long or has that matted swirly texture, that nice trajectory that comes in alot steeper and softer, that tends to give you a better lie for your next shot, Also shaping around a dogleg is very easy both directions, with a long iron i will hit straight or a 5-10 yd slice, and with no real control. with a hybrid I can not only hit the shot i want 70-80% of the time but also the mishits end up alot better off,   The one complaint I have with the hybrids Is the fact that you do end up with a gap in distance, between my 6i thats a 150-160yd club and the 180-190 5h there always seems to be that little gap that puts you out on par 3's I think I will end up getting the redline 5 iron and have that as well as the 5h, Ive tried backing off the swing to close the gap but ill come up shorter than id hit a 6i not make good contact and end up much worse off. All in all the hybrids are fantastic the shot making potential is very high, also they are very forgiving, and for shots out of wet or deep rough they work great, I even use them for odd shots around the green, like low punches in a strong wind or going under a low branch, you can put the ball forward and put your hands way forward and give it a punch and youll get a low line drive that slowly lofts and comes down soft with little roll out.

Originally Posted by jmurdock

If you so try a hybrid, I would recommend the Adams Pro series because it doesnt have any offset.

I had trouble with hybrids in the early going. I now have a 19* TM Raylor, and may pick up a 22* also.

Eventually, I found two types of hybrids I could hit: the Adams Pro, and the Diablo Edge Tour (both in R flex). The lower offset seemed to prevent hooking. Never did buy either because of the Raylor.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My understanding is that a hybrid will be at least half a club longer than the corresponding iron.

I've seen a video by a top club fitter who showed his distances for 4 iron, 4H and 7W.  IIRC, the hybrid was about 5 yards longer than the iron, and the wood was about 10-15 yards longer than the hybrid.

With 4 wedges in the bag I've thought about getting a 4H and a 5W with nothing inbetween but i think this might be too big a gap.  The 5W ought to be a bit longer than a 2H, so i think i will also need a 3H.  The 3H should be 20 yards short of the 5W, but i guess it depends on the individual.

I switched to a hybrid because I was having trouble with my long irons, If your accurate and that long then I wouldn't even entertain the thought personally

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I think the huge thing people are overlooking when asking or trying to answer the question "what club is better". Is the ability of the Golfer

To the person asking the question, you need to include what issues your having with the club your considering replacing,

And to us trying to answer saying something works or doesnt work for you, isnt an answer i just did the same thing, The guys landing long irons in fairways 60-70% of the time and hitting them 200yds or more, Dont need or want to change anything I wouldnt either, but to the rest of us that cant bomb a 3iron 220 therefore bomb a driver near 300. Need the extra distance and forgiving nature of hybrids, Because they are easier to hit and longer than regular long irons, and actually useable in the rough unlike 5 and 7 woods,

Now I started playing agian about 2 months ago after a decade of not playing using a set I got for free because my set of Ben Hogans were stolen, I won the hybrid 3 Adams online, and got the rest of the set including 2 more hybrids, because I hit the Redlines so much better than the Cobra knockoffs (King Snake's) I was using Well I couldnt hit the King snake's straight becasue none of the clubs had a face that was even remotely flat, there are dips and rises all over the place, plus the shafts said stiff but I could rotate the head and bend them pretty easily.

I mentioned this because its very important to go to a demo day and hit hybrids and long irons of different brands until you find what works, Also if you dont want to buy new clubs take your current set to your local pro shop and have the loft and lie checked to make sure that the loft is gaped consistently and the lie angle fits your wrist to ground measurement.

Shots that are offline are not always the culprit of misalignment in your aim or a swing fault if the lie angle is off you will push left or right, have you ever noticed that you always hit one club really well, thats because that one club has the right lie angle for your build. I had my new clubs tweaked 1 degree flat and had the loft tweaked for even gaping the loft was already pretty spot on to what it should be but 2 of the clubs needed 3 degrees of flat to bring it online with the others, 2 clubs needed 2 degrees and the Pw just needed 1 degree,

If you dont have the right lie angle you will start to fix your swing to correct for the equipment and then you will be in a world of hurt

I hit my long irons pretty well, and prefer them over a hybrid. I still have the 3 and 4 irons in my bag. I picked up a 3 hybrid before I found my 3 iron and honestly, I hit my 3 iron farther and more consistent than the hybrid. I do still have a hyrbid in my bag however...I use it as my 2 iron. It typically gets a nice low launch, and fits between my 3 iron and 3 wood fairly well distance wise.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by GaryH

My understanding is that a hybrid will be at least half a club longer than the corresponding iron.

I've seen a video by a top club fitter who showed his distances for 4 iron, 4H and 7W.  IIRC, the hybrid was about 5 yards longer than the iron, and the wood was about 10-15 yards longer than the hybrid. ...

Depends on whether it is a traditional hybrid or an iron-replacement hybrid.

Original "traditional" hybrids this is the case. Then OEMs began offering "iron replacement" hybrids such as Mizuno's JPX Fli-Hi iron replacements. The 4, 5, and 6 IR hybrids have the same loft and shaft length as the corresponding JPX-800 irons.

Callaway offers RazR X hybrids. When compared to the hybrids, the irons have 2* more loft, but the corresponding hybrids have longer shafts.

RazR X 3i = 19* loft, 39" shaft // RazR X  3H = 21* loft, 40.25" shaft.

The Callaway website advises one-to-one replacement of irons with the same-numbered hybrids.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I all depends on how well you hit each type. The distance will vary as a result.   I bought a set of vintage clubs at a rummage sale last week and hit the 200 yard hole max course to try them out. My 3.4 and 5 real wood vintage MacGregors were the sweetest feeling just wonderful woods to hit. I had never hit the 4 wood in my life and deliberately put a draw on it bending it around the fairway protecting the front of the green, ball dead center. My equivalent iron I would not have had so much luck with. Likewise I hit 2 old hybrid 5 and 3 iron replacements (Milwaukee Golf company Castline) Never hit them in my life. Again they produced a gorgeous shot. The only thing lacking was my knowledge of how far I would hit them As it turns out  I hit the vintage woods about a club or two shorter than my longer metal woods and the hybrids about the same as I would have hit an iron. they were a much sweeter and effortlessly pulled off shot though. I can't say the same for some of the modern hybrids which I find to be a real pain in the butt. If it looks like a far butted iron I will pass. If it looks like a wood that is designed to produce the iron result then I will give it a fair test drive.

According to Golfsmith Club Fitting Manual page 259 this is the rough wood/iron equivalent. (the hybrids just tell you on the club) 1 iron = 4 wood 2 iron =5 wood . 3iron =7wood, 4=9wood, lesser know 5 iron = 11 wood, 6 = 13 wood, 7 iron = 15 wood

The set you assemble should be what you can hit well regardless of the supposed distance equivalency. If I can thread a needle with a 5 iron replacement hybrid but only get 7 iron distance out on the course then I should yank my 7 iron out of the bag and replace it with the 5 hybrid.  Those vintage woods that only get 2 clubs less distance will be getting a very strong look at replacing my metals that are not nearly as sweet regardless of what number replaces what number.

It depends if you can hit the longer iron. If you can hit your 3 iron well, then it should be about the same distance as a 3H. instead of a 3 iron or 3 hybrid, I actually hit a 7 wood which has the same loft as a 3 hybrid. I hit that better than an iron or hybrid. Just use whatever works for you. I've never been much of a hybrid person, but I may demo a 4 hybrid and compare that to my 4 iron the next time I go on the course.

• 1 month later...

A lot of people can hit there 3 iron 240 yards. I am a horrible golfer, prob 20+ handicap, but have had rounds 2 and 3 under par on two courses with 73.6 rating and 131 slope. I am a member at a course that has a 240 yard par 3 and I hit my 3 iron all the time and usually land the ball in the middle of the green, which occasionally bounces and rolls into the bunker. I hit my 4 iron 215-225. I must add I am in vancouver Canada and this is at sea level and temp of about 22 Celsius. There are a a lot of people who can hit the ball a long way but are inconsistent. I hit my driver anywhere from 265-305 yards but usually on my 2nd hit after my 1st hit was duffed or eneded up in the bushes. Oh and maybe only 10 yards max roll because the fairways are always wet. If I must add my 3 wood often goes as far as my driver and is more consistent.

Originally Posted by johnnyvancity

A lot of people can hit there 3 iron 240 yards. I am a horrible golfer, prob 20+ handicap, but have had rounds 2 and 3 under par on two courses with 73.6 rating and 131 slope. I am a member at a course that has a 240 yard par 3 and I hit my 3 iron all the time and usually land the ball in the middle of the green, which occasionally bounces and rolls into the bunker.

Something does not compute.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by luu5

Something does not compute.

Agreed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by johnnyvancity

A lot of people can hit there 3 iron 240 yards. I am a horrible golfer, prob 20+ handicap, but have had rounds 2 and 3 under par on two courses with 73.6 rating and 131 slope. I am a member at a course that has a 240 yard par 3 and I hit my 3 iron all the time and usually land the ball in the middle of the green, which occasionally bounces and rolls into the bunker. I hit my 4 iron 215-225. I must add I am in vancouver Canada and this is at sea level and temp of about 22 Celsius. There are a a lot of people who can hit the ball a long way but are inconsistent. I hit my driver anywhere from 265-305 yards but usually on my 2nd hit after my 1st hit was duffed or eneded up in the bushes. Oh and maybe only 10 yards max roll because the fairways are always wet. If I must add my 3 wood often goes as far as my driver and is more consistent.

The odds of a 20+ handicap golfer shooting multiple rounds below par on a difficult course are worse than one in a billion.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

The odds of a 20+ handicap golfer shooting multiple rounds below par on a difficult course are worse than one in a billion.

5 sigma.

A lot of people can hit there 3 iron 240 yards. I am a horrible golfer, prob 20+ handicap, but have had rounds 2 and 3 under par on two courses with 73.6 rating and 131 slope.

With how many foot wedges, mulligans, 5-foot gimmes, etc?

In My Grom:
Driver: Taylormade R1 10.5°
Fairway: Taylormade RocketBallz Stage 2 Tour 14.5°
Hybrids: Ping G25 3, 4
Irons: Mizuno 5-PW JPX 800 Pro

Wedges: CG-14 50°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Nike Method 003

#1 Who cares if 3I = 3Hy. There are no inspectors on the course

#2 I am always baffled by posters that apparently have their game well in hand but are bewildered by something like this. Buy used on ebay and try some. they can be off brands to experiment with.  If it works then put it in the bag, if it don't then leave it home. I am experimenting lately with persimmon woods to see if they will deliver something that a metal wood doesn't if it ends up in my bag then so be it. I could care less if I am using a persimmon 3 wood instead of a 5 metal. If it works better then I don't care if "the inspectors" on the course turn up their nose (playing partners)

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!