IGNORED

On the tour, but never a winner. Would you accept?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

I think that if you have the big lead you should finish the round and sign and incorrect scorecard - hopefully becoming a sympathy figure about being DQ'd in the only tournament that you ever "won".

No - if you sign for a score higher than what you shot, you're not DQ'd - the higher score stands. That's how Roberto DeVicenzo lost the 1968 Masters. Made a 3 but signed for a 4.

So that's what you'd have to do - you win by 5 shots but instead of writing a par on the last hole you tell your marker to put down a 10.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

No - if you sign for a score higher than what you shot, you're not DQ'd - the higher score stands. That's how Roberto DeVicenzo lost the 1968 Masters. Made a 3 but signed for a 4.

So that's what you'd have to do - you win by 5 shots but instead of writing a par on the last hole you tell your marker to put down a 10.

Sign for anything lower, and you get DQ'd for sure, as I'm sure you know.

A local H.S. girl was trying to become the first girl to ever win the state title all four years in Oregon, and she finished the final round of her senior year with a double digit lead. But her playing partner scored her for a par on the last hole - a hole that she actually bogeyed. She, in the midst of her excitement, signed for it and was eventually DQ'd. Pretty sad, but crazy story.

http://www.oregonlive.com/golf/index.ssf/2012/05/range_of_emotions_greets_carol.html

Originally Posted by Jwat381

Sign for anything lower, and you get DQ'd for sure, as I'm sure you know.

A local H.S. girl was trying to become the first girl to ever win the state title all four years in Oregon, and she finished the final round of her senior year with a double digit lead. But her playing partner scored her for a par on the last hole - a hole that she actually bogeyed. She, in the midst of her excitement, signed for it and was eventually DQ'd. Pretty sad, but crazy story.

http://www.oregonlive.com/golf/index.ssf/2012/05/range_of_emotions_greets_carol.html

has anyone ever signed for something lower and gotten away with it in pga history?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Long ago, say 1954, Bobby Locke, on the final hole of the British Open, marked his ball one putter head to the side as requested. When  Bobby's turn to putt, he placed his ball at the marker, not one putter head off. Bobby made the putt, won the tourney. Later on the old timey newsreel this error was found and weeks later the R&A; ruled 'no harm no foul', results stand. The rulesmakers decided that Bobby gained no advantage in his error.  We cannot argue with the judge.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by joekelly

Long ago, say 1954, Bobby Locke, on the final hole of the British Open, marked his ball one putter head to the side as requested. When  Bobby's turn to putt, he placed his ball at the marker, not one putter head off. Bobby made the putt, won the tourney. Later on the old timey newsreel this error was found and weeks later the R&A; ruled 'no harm no foul', results stand. The rulesmakers decided that Bobby gained no advantage in his error.  We cannot argue with the judge.

Very interesting stuff. And kudos to the R&A; for upholding Locke's victory (I assume had he been penalized he would have lost). At some point, results of tournaments have to be official, regardless of what was discovered later on.

More obscure trivia - Lloyd Mangrum lost a major, forget which one, might have been the US Open, when he picked up his ball on the putting green to blow a bug off of it without marking it first. The brain fart cost him 2 strokes.

More obscure trivia - Lloyd Mangrum lost a major, forget which one, might have been the US Open, when he picked up his ball on the putting green to blow a bug off of it without marking it first. The brain fart cost him 2 strokes.

That happened during the playoff for the 1950 US Open. Hogan was leading by one when it happened (on the 16th green), and eventually won by four, so it may not have mattered, but you never know. And Mangrum did mark his ball, so what he did would have been legal under the rules of the PGA at that time, but he forgot that the USGA wasn't using the PGA rules. Probably not coincidentally, Mangrum developed a dislike for Hogan after that, to the point where he refused to defend his title at the Pan American Open three years later, after finding out they were paying Hogan a hefty appearance fee.

Could this be any more off topic?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by sean_miller

Could this be any more off topic?

Nope. Let's get back to the actual topic now please. Thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We all get the best jobs we can so we can support our families.  None of us would quit working and let our families down because we are not the best _________ in our business.  I would work two 8 hour a day jobs at minimum wage in order to take care of my family.  And I think all of us would do the same for our families.

But in never never land, would I make $500,000 a year and not be recognized as one of the best golfers by winning on the PGA tour?   I even dreamed that I would like to be one of the best golfers in the world and be just barely good enough to qualify to go to Q school even if I didn't make it to the tour.   Realistically those losers on the PGA Tour could play a round at any of the courses I play and probably break the course record by several shots.  If that doesn't mean they are one of the best, what does?

One of the announcers on Morning Break said that if you and I played fifteen years on the tour and made fifteen cuts a year we would each have $100,000,000 in our own pension plan.  How rich is rich enough.  And what is the purpose of a Job?

If I can take care of my family's basic financial needs, and my family loves and respects me, I will consider myself to be one of the best men in the world,

Note: This thread is 4291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!