IGNORED

different balls on same hole?

Lost-Ball
Note: This thread is 4283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not very up to par on the rules of golf and the people i play with are pretty laid back but incase i get paired with someone who is a purist or do this in a tournament or something id like to know how this would be viewed. OK so i really like the yellow golf balls but don't really care to pay $30 a box for them. so i go to walmart and they have the el cheapo $8 ones. yay. but wait they feel like rocks off my irons and putter so. hey i know ill use the yellow balls on my tee shots when using my driver or woods cuz A) i can see them alot better and where they land B) they are cheap and i dont feel so bad when i lose one C) something about the yellow makes the ball look bigger and gives me more confidence to hit it better cuz i can see it better. sooo. i hit my drive and of course im perfectly positioned in the fairway ;) so now i replace the yellow rock with my nice feeling recycled Titleist ball and fire away at the green. so how many rules did i just break and would it bother you if i was paired with you?

As long as your ball is found and in tact, it must be played to the hole. If you aren't playing competitively though, who cares? Do whatever you want.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Originally Posted by pixel5

As long as your ball is found and in tact, it must be played to the hole. If you aren't playing competitively though, who cares? Do whatever you want.

Thanks, thats what i thought. i really like the yellow Titleist NXT tours so ill just have to buy a box if i play in a scramble or something like that

Originally Posted by Lost-Ball

Thanks, thats what i thought. i really like the yellow Titleist NXT tours so ill just have to buy a box if i play in a scramble or something like that

If you actually want to know what your real score is though, you would have to add 2 penalty strokes every time you do it.  You can say that you shot that 89, or whatever, but when you reach a milestone in your game, do you really want it to be a true score, or do you want that little voice in the back of your head saying that you really didn't shoot that score because you broke such a basic rule of golf. Rule 15-1 reads:

15-1. General

A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground, unless the ball is lost or out of bounds or the player substitutes another ball, whether or not substitution is permitted (see Rule 15-2).

15-2 reads:

If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted to do so under the Rules, that substituted ball is not a wrong ball; it becomes the ball in play. If the mistake is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6 and the player makes a stroke at a wrongly substituted ball, he loses the hole in match play or incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play under the applicable rule.

Just something to think about.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ive gotten spoiled buying the hunter recycled balls at walmart that nomally cost $30+ for 12 balls and now cost $15 for 25. maybe one day Hunter will start to sell the nice used yellow ones too. like i said earlier i guess if i play a scramble or something ill pay up and get the yellow NXT tours. the one box i bought played perfect for me

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Check out the Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow. Good all around ball for $24/12.

OUCH! lol i dont know what it is but i hated the srixon 333s. maybe ill give the Q-star a try though

Wilson make a cheapy orange ball that's $14/doz. I like the Q-Star. I swing fast enough to play the Z-Star, and I have, but I didn't see any noticable performance gains. Nothing that made me want to pay double the price of the Q-Star. I'm not terribly picky. Believe it or not the only ball I really don't like is Titleist. Always feels hard to me. I keep 4 doz Noodle+ in my shag bag. Cheap ball and I love it. If it came in yellow or orange I'd be playng it.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OUCH! lol i dont know what it is but i hated the srixon 333s. maybe ill give the Q-star a try though

You cant compare the 333 to the q or z star balls. Srixon makes amazing golf balls.

I will tell you though, the being cheap thing is only hurting yourself. Get a good ball you like. Dont play golf with rocks you hate hitting because they are cheap. Buy used ProV1's, Penta's, Bridgestone e series and 330 series, Callaway Hex's, Nike 20XI's. You can get any of those for  under 20$/dzn used. Your NXT's come used at walmart for 14$/dzn here. I saw Pro-'v1's and Pentas as well. I was loaded on ProV1's already, but I bought out the Pentas they had because they are my favourite ball by a mile. I'd rather hit a used premium ball than a new low end rock. A box of Intech's I bought early in my golf days come to mind.

Find YOUR ball or balls, and stick with it. Your game will thank you. I tried all of them, B-stones e's and 330's, 20XI's, etc etc, and in the end, the Penta and ProV1 are as close to perfect as i've found, with the Penta coming out a few points ahead in certain areas. I have a dozen or so boxes of premium balls to use, so I do sometimes play a sleeve of something new. I like playing with the 20XI, but im down to 9. But as I said, so far the Penta is my ball, and I suggest you find yours.

Let me reiterate. A used premium ball is light years better than a brand new Nike Crush.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Patrick57

Do they have different rules on the PGA tour?

The pros have lines on their balls for putting but I never see these before they get onto the green.

No, they do not have different rules. You can use one kind of ball for your round, and can only switch from a used to a new ball between rounds. I don't know how many holes most pro's play with a single ball, I would imagine some switch every hole, and others every 3 or so, and everything in between. But I don't actually know. But tee to green, you cannot change your ball.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

You cant compare the 333 to the q or z star balls. Srixon makes amazing golf balls. I will tell you though, the being cheap thing is only hurting yourself. Get a good ball you like. Dont play golf with rocks you hate hitting because they are cheap. Buy used ProV1's, Penta's, Bridgestone e series and 330 series, Callaway Hex's, Nike 20XI's. You can get any of those for  under 20$/dzn used. Your NXT's come used at walmart for 14$/dzn here. I saw Pro-'v1's and Pentas as well. I was loaded on ProV1's already, but I bought out the Pentas they had because they are my favourite ball by a mile. I'd rather hit a used premium ball than a new low end rock. A box of Intech's I bought early in my golf days come to mind. Find YOUR ball or balls, and stick with it. Your game will thank you. I tried all of them, B-stones e's and 330's, 20XI's, etc etc, and in the end, the Penta and ProV1 are as close to perfect as i've found, with the Penta coming out a few points ahead in certain areas. Let me reiterate. A used premium ball is light years better than a brand new Nike Crush.

I only hit the rock balls off the tee in case I loose one. I switch it out for my good balls after my tee shot

I only hit the rock balls off the tee in case I loose one. I switch it out for my good balls after my tee shot

Yes, but if you are turning in a card, you need to assess the extra 2 strokes for switching your ball. And if you lose it, you get strokes anyway.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Look for deals at Dicks Sporting Goods, if you have them nearby. They routinely have some deal like "buy 2 get 1 free" or "get the second 50% off". You can definitely score good balls for $1.50 per ball. The Top Flite Gamer v2 is a great ball for $20/dozen. On sale it can reach $15/dozen. You're already ponying up money to play golf, don't make yourself miserable while you play by playing with equipment you don't like.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Look for deals at Dicks Sporting Goods, if you have them nearby. They routinely have some deal like "buy 2 get 1 free" or "get the second 50% off". You can definitely score good balls for $1.50 per ball. The Top Flite Gamer v2 is a great ball for $20/dozen. On sale it can reach $15/dozen.

You're already ponying up money to play golf, don't make yourself miserable while you play by playing with equipment you don't like.

BINGO!

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Yes, but if you are turning in a card, you need to assess the extra 2 strokes for switching your ball. And if you lose it, you get strokes anyway.

for sure if i play in anything beside casual golf with buddies ill stick to the rules.

Note: This thread is 4283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!