IGNORED

different balls on same hole?

Lost-Ball
Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lost-Ball

for sure if i play in anything beside casual golf with buddies ill stick to the rules.

I thought the rules require all rounds to be recorded.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

No, they do not have different rules. You can use one kind of ball for your round, and can only switch from a used to a new ball between rounds. I don't know how many holes most pro's play with a single ball, I would imagine some switch every hole, and others every 3 or so, and everything in between. But I don't actually know. But tee to green, you cannot change your ball.

What would be wrong with putting the ball with the line on it in play after marking your ball on the green? As long as it's the same model ball that should be within the rules, correct?

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

What would be wrong with putting the ball with the line on it in play after marking your ball on the green? As long as it's the same model ball that should be within the rules, correct?

No. Yo may not change your ball during the play of a hole unless it is lost or substituted under a rule which expressly permits it.

The reason of course is that your first ball may be old and manky and your replacement bright and new.

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

Where do you people come up with this????  No you can't change just because the ball lies on the putting green.  You can't change the ball until after you hole out.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where do you people come up with this????  No you can't change just because the ball lies on the putting green.  You can't change the ball until after you hole out.

I believe the pros do change their ball on the green. They throw their ball to their caddy who cleans it with a golf towel and gives it back. I have heard that he has two balls in that towel and his fellow professional has no problem with this. With the soft surlyn balls these days they could claim damage to the cover after every full stroke. Its easier to avoid this unnecessary rule by ignoring this protocol. :~(

Originally Posted by Patrick57

I believe the pros do change their ball on the green. They throw their ball to their caddy who cleans it with a golf towel and gives it back. I have heard that he has two balls in that towel and his fellow professional has no problem with this.

With the soft surlyn balls these days they could claim damage to the cover after every full stroke. Its easier to avoid this unnecessary rule by ignoring this protocol.

Hi Patrick,

This is a joke right......your just jerking our chains?

Regards,

John

I believe the pros do change their ball on the green. They throw their ball to their caddy who cleans it with a golf towel and gives it back. I have heard that he has two balls in that towel and his fellow professional has no problem with this.

With the soft surlyn balls these days they could claim damage to the cover after every full stroke. Its easier to avoid this unnecessary rule by ignoring this protocol.

Why would a pro risk his result with this action? They can still replace the ball if it is unfit to play, or after the hole.

Originally Posted by luu5

Why would a pro risk his result with this action? They can still replace the ball if it is unfit to play, or after the hole.

all he has to do is show it to his playing partner and declare his intent to switch, correct?

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

all he has to do is show it to his playing partner and declare his intent to switch, correct?

And the ball has to be damaged, not just slightly marked.

• Administrator

Patrick, did you fall on your head recently?

And it's urethane, not surlyn.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No chance, no way, no how.  With the scrutiny that pros are under from fans and TV, no way they would take such a chance.   With the modern ball it isn't even necessary.  They don't go out of round, or get bruised like the balata covered balls did.  It's almost impossible to damage a modern ball badly enough in normal play to meet the requirements in the rules for changing it during the play of a hole.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No chance, no way, no how.  With the scrutiny that pros are under from fans and TV, no way they would take such a chance.   With the modern ball it isn't even necessary.  They don't go out of round, or get bruised like the balata covered balls did.  It's almost impossible to damage a modern ball badly enough in normal play to meet the requirements in the rules for changing it during the play of a hole.

trust me, i've tried. i've smacked a ball off a 3H into a tree with quite a bit of force and you couldn't tell at all when it bounced back past me.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

• Administrator
Originally Posted by rhino0707

Can't the cover of the ball get damaged if you hit a tree or cart path?

For me, this does happen as part of "normal play"

Not significantly enough to warrant replacement mid-hole. Not often or even rarely. Super rarely, maybe.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am of the opinion its an undiscussed acceptance that they change the ball for putting. [quote name="Dormie1360" url="/t/59529/different-balls-on-same-hole/18#post_730808"] Hi Patrick, This is a joke right......your just jerking our chains? [/quote] I could be wrong but I'm not trying to jerk anyone's chain. [quote name="luu5" url="/t/59529/different-balls-on-same-hole/18#post_730809"] Why would a pro risk his result with this action? They can still replace the ball if it is unfit to play, or after the hole. [/quote] We never get a close up where we see the putting line on the ball until the pros are on the green. I never see it until then, could be me! [quote name="tiger187126" url="/t/59529/different-balls-on-same-hole/18#post_730814"] all he has to do is show it to his playing partner and declare his intent to switch, correct? [/quote] Yes but they have an agreement and don't have to ask on every green. [quote name="luu5" url="/t/59529/different-balls-on-same-hole/18#post_730830"] And the ball has to be damaged, not just slightly marked. [/quote] With the perfectly cut greens they play on, a scuff is damage and a brand new ball would be more desirable. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/59529/different-balls-on-same-hole/18#post_730847"] Patrick, did you fall on your head recently? And it's urethane, not surlyn. [/quote] Same difference. They both feel and taste similar.

• Administrator

I am of the opinion its an undiscussed acceptance that they change the ball for putting.

I could be wrong but I'm not trying to jerk anyone's chain.

There's no "could be" about it. You're wrong. Laughably so.

Originally Posted by Patrick57

We never get a close up where we see the putting line on the ball until the pros are on the green. I never see it until then, could be me!

When in doubt, assume that you're ****ing crazy.

Yes but they have an agreement and don't have to ask on every green.

No such agreement exists.

Same difference. They both feel and taste similar.

Wrong.

Time for another time out. You contribute nothing of value.

I am of the opinion its an undiscussed acceptance that they change the ball for putting.

I could be wrong but I'm not trying to jerk anyone's chain.

We never get a close up where we see the putting line on the ball until the pros are on the green. I never see it until then, could be me!

Yes but they have an agreement and don't have to ask on every green.

With the perfectly cut greens they play on, a scuff is damage and a brand new ball would be more desirable.

Same difference. They both feel and taste similar.

You cannot be serious. If this was ever found the player would never play a pro event again. A couple of days ago a caddie was banned for life for hiding an extra club.

Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!