Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marrsh28

Most difficult course you've ever played....

115 posts in this topic

So what's the most difficult course you've ever played?

I recently played the Prince Course on the island of Kauai during a vacation and it was near impossible.  The wind was blowing a steady 15-20 mphs and gust were 40+.  Most of the par threes on the course were unprotected so club selection was VERY difficult.  At the end of our round, the club pro told me the all-time low score from the tips was only 68!?!?!

I've never played Sawgrass but have heard its also a nightmare for the average amateur.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

PGA West Stadium Course on a windy desert day.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played TPC Sugarloaf in Atlanta, in a tournament. It wasn't pretty for me, that's I'll I can say. Beautiful course though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm intrigued to see how the pros will do on Dye's Ocean Course at the PGA.  I've heard that course is pretty comparable with PGA West.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never understood the fascination most people seem to have with playing hard courses?   You could plunk me down in the middle of a huge flat field, cut to fairway height, with a tee on one end and flat greens at typical par 3, 4, and 5 length away, with no bunkers, water, trees, or rough, and I'd still struggle to break par.  The thing I have to worry about playing golf isn't the course or what it might throw at me but rather what's going to happen when I try to execute a particular shot.  Throw in all those other variables and I'm doing pretty good to shoot better than bogey golf.

As to the question at hand I've played the Augusta National Golf Club twice and if it weren't for the beauty and history of the place (not to mention the way they take care of you out there, which admittedly is second to none) I have zero interest in getting to play out there ever again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Split Rock, Lake Harmony, PA.    lost a  dozen balls - if the fairway was missed, ball gone - rough was so high last year with all the rain, couldn't mow it.    Ungodly narrow fairways & lots of elevation changes.   Beautiful mountain couse, but TOUGH

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

PGA West Stadium Course on a windy desert day.

same course, calm day.  i lost count of the # of balls i lost, though i did par #17.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TPC San Antonio, the weekend after the Valero Open. I shot 115, about 20 shots over the norm for me. The greens were faster than anything I ever seen. The fairways were fast, anything with side action went to the rough. Once there is was a nightmare.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

I've never understood the fascination most people seem to have with playing hard courses?   You could plunk me down in the middle of a huge flat field, cut to fairway height, with a tee on one end and flat greens at typical par 3, 4, and 5 length away, with no bunkers, water, trees, or rough, and I'd still struggle to break par.  The thing I have to worry about playing golf isn't the course or what it might throw at me but rather what's going to happen when I try to execute a particular shot.  Throw in all those other variables and I'm doing pretty good to shoot better than bogey golf.

As to the question at hand I've played the Augusta National Golf Club twice and if it weren't for the beauty and history of the place (not to mention the way they take care of you out there, which admittedly is second to none) I have zero interest in getting to play out there ever again.


What makes Augusta National so hard? From seeing it on TV I'd guess that other than the severe greens and needing place your approaches properly, it's not a brutal course when played from the right tee box.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MSchott

What makes Augusta National so hard? From seeing it on TV I'd guess that other than the severe greens and needing place your approaches properly, it's not a brutal course when played from the right tee box.

Both times I played were during "outings" week.  That's when they let tournament volunteers, caddies, employees, etc. play the course.  All week the tee sheet is full and you're only allowed to play from the member's tees.  From the tees the course really isn't all that tough.  Certainly no worse than any other average  tough course.  There are a good many bunker complexes out there that are unbelievable.  Massive.  The bunker complex in front of the 10th green you could drop a big house in the middle of and it'd probably disappear.  There are a pair of bunkers on the left side of the fairway on #5 that are a good 20' deep from the level of the fairway.  I have no idea how they are able to keep sand on the sides of those two bunkers they are so steep?  But what really makes the course tough are the greens.  Having a caddy would certainly be worth whatever it costs (no caddies outings week).  They always talk about how TV doesn't do the hilliness of the course justice and the same is doubly true for the greens.  I play occasionally in a league with a local sheriff's deputy who used to work the tournament a few years ago and he's played the course a couple of times too.  I'd say he plays off a 5 or 6 handicap and he told me basically the same thing.  He was happy for the opportunity to be able to play out there but the greens tore him up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the greens at ANC in person, what Chief Broom says is true.  I could not imagine putting on those greens to some of the hole locations that are cut.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

Both times I played were during "outings" week.  That's when they let tournament volunteers, caddies, employees, etc. play the course.  All week the tee sheet is full and you're only allowed to play from the member's tees.  From the tees the course really isn't all that tough.  Certainly no worse than any other average  tough course.  There are a good many bunker complexes out there that are unbelievable.  Massive.  The bunker complex in front of the 10th green you could drop a big house in the middle of and it'd probably disappear.  There are a pair of bunkers on the left side of the fairway on #5 that are a good 20' deep from the level of the fairway.  I have no idea how they are able to keep sand on the sides of those two bunkers they are so steep?  But what really makes the course tough are the greens.  Having a caddy would certainly be worth whatever it costs (no caddies outings week).  They always talk about how TV doesn't do the hilliness of the course justice and the same is doubly true for the greens.  I play occasionally in a league with a local sheriff's deputy who used to work the tournament a few years ago and he's played the course a couple of times too.  I'd say he plays off a 5 or 6 handicap and he told me basically the same thing.  He was happy for the opportunity to be able to play out there but the greens tore him up.


Thanks for the information. I'd love to see ANGC in person some day.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most difficult course I've played is Tour 18 in DFW area.

My brother in law used to work at the Pinehurst CC and I've been fortunate to play there a few times with him and it was a challenge.

But Tour 18 is a beast for me.  There is s and everywhere, and where there isn't sand there's water, and where there isn't sand or water there's a bridge or a tree.   Evil... I tell you...it's evil doing !  :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Ram Rock - Horseshoe Bay, Texas

Just a very difficult track. Very long w/ insanely tight landing areas.  Awesome course and resort.

2. Southern Dunes - Maricopa, AZ

I have only played it once but the wind was howling 50+mph. Might be easy w/ no wind.

I really can't wait to have another shot at it someday.

3. Newport Dunes - Port Aransas, TX

Played it many times usually windy.  Very seldom the wind isn't blowing and the course is fun.

When the wind off the Gulf of Mexico is strong club selection is impossible.  Great course, however.

Honorable Mention -  Waterwood National - Huntsville, TX 10 years ago

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubs Dread at Cog Hill, Lemont, IL. Looks pleasant enough but anything off the greens is in a bunker so deep you can't see the putting surface. Ate us all up. Stay in play and its a treat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oceans course at Kiawah Island. It killed me

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say I have any sort of fascination with playing tough courses... But it is interesting to hear other golfer's experiences with courses, regardless. I would say the toughest course I ever played was the East Course at Oak Hill CC, just after a PGA event. Between the narrow fairways, deep rough and fast greens... It was tough! I shot a 105. No wonder the winner was was -1 or -2 for that tourney. As far as my worst score, I will give that honor to the Mystic Rocks course at the Nemacolin Resort in PA (84 Lumber tour course). Shot a 126 from the tips. I think it had more to do with being a horrible day for myself on the course... But it is a tough course regardless. I will say at the time, I wasn't as good a golfer as I am now. But I imagine I'd still struggle, relatively.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

same course, calm day.  i lost count of the # of balls i lost, though i did par #17.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

PGA West Stadium Course on a windy desert day.

I parred it as well after barely clearing the lava rocks in front.  Just a beast of a course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • My Swing (b101)
      It's just feeling a little bit more natural than it used to and I'm not stepping on the course with 5 or more swing thoughts, which is nice! I don't think it'll take much work getting back to making progress and I'm definitely seeing that some of the changes I've made have stuck - ball flight is really high compared to what I'm used to and the ball turns right to left about 50% of the time and stays straight for 30%. It's the 20% of rubbish, either duck hooks or generally wayward tee shots that I want to clear up, which is going to be this morning's target on the range. I didn't end up hitting the range yesterday - a mate texted to ask to play a round, so I went for that. What was obvious is that the little 9 hole course, where I don't need anything above a 4 iron, has been great for my iron play, but that the 3 wood, driver and course management need a bit of a refresher course. Shot an 86 with a ridiculous 7 penalty strokes (4 on one tough par 3), which says it all really as I don't normally take any! It is a tight track though and there is OB all over the place, but no excuse for the few 'head off' moments which prevented me scoring well. It was match play as well so I guess that's part of it... In short summary: Driving/3 wood - pretty poor and I'm just not comfortable over the ball with those clubs. On a longer course, I'd have struggled. Long irons - good, bar that atrocity of a par 3, where I think I'll just aim way left next time and take the safe miss. Both of those were actually really nice strikes, but went dead straight rather than drawing like I had expected. Still, my fault entirely for aiming towards the trouble  Mid-short irons - mostly pretty good actually. Put 6/14 approaches from outside 100 yards to (3/4 from within 100) inside 15 yards and bar two long bunker shots, the rest were manageable. Putting - really pleased again; I probably only made one that I wouldn't have expected (birdie on 13), but there's a lot of break on the greens and I thought it was pretty decent for a first time out in a while. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/930037 Overall, pretty close to where I'd want it to be, but a better decision on 6, some better drives and a bit more luck on odd holes (like 16) and it'd have been a great round. I'd take that for the first time in ages. Should be able to post some video this afternoon.
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      And also, "speculation" is what the thread is all about! Sure, I'm placing the Tour guys on a pedestal but they DESERVE it. Yes "Golf is Hard", but those guys are GOOD. Low 60s are very much a possibility in any tournament they tee it up in, let alone on a public course that was designed with the average golfer in mind. Let's give credit where credit is due! If all the players from 75-125 on the money list decided to go out and play a new course (of "moderate difficulty" for amateurs) every week for the next 2 months, course records would be getting smashed all over the place. They might shoot the odd 70 or 72, but you darn well bet there would be a lot of 63's and 64's in there too. Regardless of poor course conditions, lack of course knowledge or anything like that, they are gonna make birdies in droves and they are going to go low!
    • The this math does not compute thread
      I was at a garage sale with my son who was like 10 years old at the time. The seller had a box full of cheap toys with a handwritten sign on the box that read "$1 each, or 2 for $3".  I nudged my son and pointed to the sign with my eyes (because the seller was standing right there). He glanced down at the sign and immediately grinned and shook his head in disbelief. And don't get me going on auctions. People will pay more for used crap than they know they would if purchased brand new, simply because they get caught up in a bidding war. The best part is listening to them try and justify it afterwards.
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      The odds of him shooting -32 would be slim, but not impossible. Those guys absolutely demolish a handful of the easier courses (ie. Kapalua, the old rotation for the Las Vegas Invitational, the old rotation for the Bob Hope, TPC Scottsdale before they toughened it up,  North Course at Torrey, etc.) and scores of ~ -30 haven't been terribly uncommon at some events. But I think the PGA Tour and the Web.Com Tour seem to be trying to get away from insanely low numbers and are moving tournaments away from some of the old venues that can't keep up with how far  they hit the ball now, and renovating other courses to beef them up. I recall the Tour players voted to eliminate the TPC Stadium course at PGA West in the late 80's from tournanent play because they thought it was "too hard" and this year when they used it again it seemed to be quite playable for them. In fact, they seemed to have no issues making their way around the course at all. That speaks to the quality and depth of the fields nowadays.  That being said - no, I wouldn't expect a -32 total. But it definitely wouldn't shock me either.  On a side note, I would be really interested to see this type of experiment revisited. This thread has fuelled some great speculation and debate, so thank you guys for playing along!
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Blog Entries