IGNORED

Annoying golfer

scooby7589
Note: This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was golfing against someone on my league that i knew annoyed me from a previous round (1) the past year, so i was prepared to deal with this guy, i started out terrible and , a 10 on the first hole and i could feel that i was going to have a hard time finding my swing.  I tried to be friendly but stand offish , not talking much, compliment him on good shots and pars that he got,  but whereever i would stand he would walk right over and stand shoulder to shoulder with me on every tee box and he was constantly talking  , i would move and he would move to where i was.  I continued to struggle for the rest of the round and on the last hole i shook his hand said nice round , and told him i had a 10 on the hole, dropped the cart off said  see you later to my partner and started out to my truck, so i had to walk by this guy to get to my truck and he says you didnt get a ten on that hole ill put you down for a 6 , i said put down whatever you want, then he starts to walk towards me and says whats your deal, i said i gotta go and got in my truck and left.   I found out a day later he went into the clubhouse and told everyone how much of a d**k i was .   Just wanted to post this for a vent and any suggestion on how i should handle this, i have to see him next week .

Wow I could barely make out what you're trying to say. Paragraphs?, the longest running sentence in English history.

Why does him talking to you bother you that much?

But your a 9 handicap, and you had a 10 on the first hole? He bothered you that much? Was he talking during your swing?

Maybe you should lighten up a little, and be friendly, you don't have talk to him that much, but be polite, and focus on your own game.

There are worse things to worry about man, just have fun playing golf.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Sounds like the guy knows exactly how to beat you and get in your head...

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out why the guy annoys you. And it sounds to me like he was just trying to be friendly to you, in his way, by standing next to you & talking to you, etc. Then him telling you the 10 should have been a 6...based on your handicap you're not supposed to be posting anything higher than double-bogey anyway, so maybe he was just trying to help you out.

Look, I understand that there are just some people you're not going to like. I get that. But based on what you wrote, I'm trying to figure out why you don't like him. And further, if he was trying to be friendly & you weren't responding in kind, I can see why he would think you're a dick.

Tell the guy to leave you be. If he doesn't like that, use one of your clubs on his head. That'll get the point across. As above poster said hes playing the mental game with you, play it back lol.

First time posting here so my composing skills are limited.   I think it was more of how poorly i was playing then him trying to chat with me while i was trying to figure out what was going on with my swing that was annoying.  I would chat with some but not to much, Tried to keep to myself.

Not sure if my handicap that i have posted is right, 9 is the handicap i have on the league i play i usually shoot 44~46 on 9 holes.

Originally Posted by scooby7589

First time posting here so my composing skills are limited.   I think it was more of how poorly i was playing then him trying to chat with me while i was trying to figure out what was going on with my swing that was annoying.  I would chat with some but not to much, Tried to keep to myself.

Not sure if my handicap that i have posted is right, 9 is the handicap i have on the league i play i usually shoot 44~46 on 9 holes.

Your handicap is 18, if you're getting 9 shots on 9 holes.

As for 9 handicaps not supposed to be doing worse than doubles?? There's more than one way to skin a cat, lots of pars and birdies with the occasional big number will also get it done!

First of all, after spending the front nine with an annoying person I'd tell him to play on while I visit the grill for a while.

Secondly, I would avoid playing future rounds with him and if he were to confront me on it I'd be right up front with it

and tell him he's annoying and I don't care to share my round with him.  That should put an end to it.

Sounds like you were kind of a dick.  Taking the competition so seriously that you needed your poker face out there and refused to talk to the guy?  What, is this Tiger v. Phil?

Get over it, apologize to the guy, and play nice or don't play at all.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I think the playing partner should've gotten the hint. There's no rule that says you have to be chatty Cathy all through the round.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

As for 9 handicaps not supposed to be doing worse than doubles?? There's more than one way to skin a cat, lots of pars and birdies with the occasional big number will also get it done!

What they are referring to is ESC... basically when you post your score for handicap, individuals who carry less than a 10 can't post anything worse than a double bogey. The idea is that the your handicap is more of a measurement of your potential and it keeps one or two horrific holes from blowing up your index.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Oh, you can definitely score higher than a double, but for handicapping purposes you can't post anything higher than a double. Re-read my post - I said he can't post higher than a double.

Sounds to me like you've got the problem not him. Don't be a d!ck.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

It's like Yogi Berra said, "90% of this game is half mental.". This is the perfect opportunity to work on your mental game. There's a guy I play with periodically. He has a vanity handicap of 14! Why anyone would cheat to get to a 14 is a mystery, but it annoys me - a lot. Raking in 3 footers, fixing lies, forgetting penalty strokes... But I like playing with the guy because I mentally prepare myself for it. What you need to do is when he starts bumping his gums, use your "wife tune-out" skills and think about something other than what he's jabbering on about. Just nod, mutter affirmations, stare blankly ahead... You know the drill. Just like when your wife is telling you about how her day went at the mall.

Occam's razor

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

You know the drill. Just like when your wife is telling you about how her day went at the mall.

Absolutely!! Every male has this as an innate behavior mode.  Just tune out the annoying playing partner.

Butch

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Oh, you can definitely score higher than a double, but for handicapping purposes you can't post anything higher than a double. Re-read my post - I said he can't post higher than a double.

Okay no problem, slight Trans-Atlantic confusion over the word posting!

Certainly in a medal comp I would record the score as it stood and let the computer/handicap secretary get on with it from there.

A card isn't right without a good mix of red and N/Rs!

Thats a great idea thanks, Not sure though what i should do when i see this person again, should i apoligize?  I dont feel i did anything to warrant me apoligizing to him but want to try and do whats right,

I probably wont golf against him again this year but will see him around the clubhouse waiting for tee times and getting refreshments.  I think i will steer clear of him and just keep it to hello.

If you're trying to be that focused, just tell the guy, "I'd like to focus and not talk a lot".

Talkers can play with quiet people just fine, but quiet people can't take the talkers. I'm a bit of the silent type, when carting around I'm as open and talkative as anyone, but come shot time, sthu and lemme think for a min...

Note: This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!