IGNORED

The UFC/MMA/Etc. Thread

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So we have Silva, JBJ, and Hendo, but does anyone else think machida has become lost in this mix.  I know he could make middle and I know him and silva are teammates, but I would put cash down on Machida vs. Anyone not named Bones Jones.  I truly believe he won his fight with Page.  Imagine if he cut to middle.  What do you guys think?

The premise of the idea is great. Middleweight will only be in contention if lights start moving down.

But I think it's Silva that ought to move up. There's nothing else to do in his own class.

My personal opinion is that even if he lost a fight now, it wouldn't mean anything. It is more than established that Silva firing all cylinders puts anyone at middle to shame.

Originally Posted by pholmes

So we have Silva, JBJ, and Hendo, but does anyone else think machida has become lost in this mix.  I know he could make middle and I know him and silva are teammates, but I would put cash down on Machida vs. Anyone not named Bones Jones.  I truly believe he won his fight with Page.  Imagine if he cut to middle.  What do you guys think?

He hasn't become lost as much as he has just lost. He's lost 3 out of his last 4.  So he hasn't exactly had a good run going.  I think there are some good fights for him at MW, but I don't think he gets by Silva even if they were to fight....but they won't.  Rashad is now calling Silva out at MW I believe, so I will wait and see how that pans out.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I finally saw the fight, Silva did some questionable things during that fight that I hope result in him getting fined for;

1. Wiped the grease that was applied to his face on his hands and then his body to make him slippery.  Ref saw it and wiped him down.
  2. The grabbing of the shorts and striking was a blatant violation of the rules
  3. The knee was directed at the chest but in slow motion did eventually make contact with Sonnens head.  His hands were also on the cage with his fingers through the cage when he threw that kick to gain leverage, a violation as well.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I finally saw the fight, Silva did some questionable things during that fight that I hope result in him getting fined for;

Wiped the grease that was applied to his face on his hands and then his body to make him slippery.  Ref saw it and wiped him down.

The grabbing of the shorts and striking was a blatant violation of the rules

The knee was directed at the chest but in slow motion did eventually make contact with Sonnens head.  His hands were also on the cage with his fingers through the cage when he threw that kick to gain leverage, a violation as well.

1)  Anderson has done this every fight since he started the UFC.  They won't do anything about this.

2)  This was the biggest one.  But they can't go back now....the ref should have called it

3) The knee was in the chest.  Actually, it was a very well placed knee.  The fingers through the cage happens ALOT....so that won't be an issue either.

Unfortunately, these things happen very often and won't warrant a fine. It almost seems like grasping for straws since it's never such a big deal with other fights....just this one.

Sonnen just isn't as good.  He has great wrestling and great heart and that's about it. Anderson is too well rounded.  Otherwise, Sonnen could have won at least one of the fights.

Bryan A

sonnen had silva on his back for 4:56 of the first round, and for the most part, completely had his top game neutralized...so much so, sonnen did nothing with the mount for over a full minute.

if anyone watched the post card press conference, sonnen completely dismissed the short grabbing saying something to the effect, "it's part of the game, what goes around comes around, i've done it before, anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, and i'll end up grabbing someones shorts in the future."  sonnen also went on to say he had no issue with the knee strike.

i was cheering my heart out for sonnen, but anderson came in with a totally different level of alertness and situational awareness that we haven't seen, which was completely evident in round two.  he knew he couldn't afford to be taken down again, bc as the fight progressed, his ability to neutralize sonnen off his back would become progressively lessened.  conversely, sonnen knew the longer he was standing, the shorter the fight would be for him, so he panicked with the spinning elbow/back fist - and when he failed, he knew it was curtains.

sonnen is a weird breed.  i could see him going .500 if he fought 10 of the top 10 MWs in the UFC, but i don't see any other MW giving anderson a run for his money the way sonnen did for 6 out of the 7 rounds they fought.

all respect to silva, the guy is simply the GOAT.

I actually think that Anderson hurt Sonnen right after the short grabbing in the second.  He caught Sonnen with a couple of good shots and I think it had Sonnen rocked a bit and that made him panic with the spinning back fist.

If you watch it again, look at how early Silva was ducking the spinning back fist.  That's why I say it was REALLY telegraphed.  Silva saw that coming a mile away.

I like Sonnen too. I hope he doesn't quit. The WWE is after him now though.....and after some comments Sonnen has made after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him leave the UFC for the WWE

Bryan A

I wasn't making excuses for Sonnen just pointing out that MMA is dangerous enough without guys breaking the rules.  Silva's knee definitely stuck Sonnens head when he was down and even if not fined, Sonnen would have been entitled to time to recover.

Chael doesn't have the skills Silva does, he needed to keep it on the ground like he did in the first fight but couldn't in the 2nd round.  Most spinning back fists are telegraphed, probably the best at it today is JBJ's spinning elbow which he throws so fast there's little reaction time.  Sonnens manager said he doesn't think Chael will be back given his 2nd loss to Silva means he won't get a title shot anytime soon unless he changes weight classes.

I can see Chael in WWE, he'd be a great heel / fan favorite as he's played in UFC.  Might get a match with Brock at Summer Slam.

Originally Posted by TN94z

1)  Anderson has done this every fight since he started the UFC.  They won't do anything about this.

2)  This was the biggest one.  But they can't go back now....the ref should have called it

3) The knee was in the chest.  Actually, it was a very well placed knee.  The fingers through the cage happens ALOT....so that won't be an issue either.

Unfortunately, these things happen very often and won't warrant a fine. It almost seems like grasping for straws since it's never such a big deal with other fights....just this one.

Sonnen just isn't as good.  He has great wrestling and great heart and that's about it. Anderson is too well rounded.  Otherwise, Sonnen could have won at least one of the fights.

I actually think that Anderson hurt Sonnen right after the short grabbing in the second.  He caught Sonnen with a couple of good shots and I think it had Sonnen rocked a bit and that made him panic with the spinning back fist.

If you watch it again, look at how early Silva was ducking the spinning back fist.  That's why I say it was REALLY telegraphed.  Silva saw that coming a mile away.

I like Sonnen too. I hope he doesn't quit. The WWE is after him now though.....and after some comments Sonnen has made after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him leave the UFC for the WWE

Joe Paradiso

I wasn't making excuses for Sonnen just pointing out that MMA is dangerous enough without guys breaking the rules.  Silva's knee definitely stuck Sonnens head when he was down and even if not fined, Sonnen would have been entitled to time to recover.

Chael doesn't have the skills Silva does, he needed to keep it on the ground like he did in the first fight but couldn't in the 2nd round.  Most spinning back fists are telegraphed, probably the best at it today is JBJ's spinning elbow which he throws so fast there's little reaction time.  Sonnens manager said he doesn't think Chael will be back given his 2nd loss to Silva means he won't get a title shot anytime soon unless he changes weight classes.

I can see Chael in WWE, he'd be a great heel / fan favorite as he's played in UFC.  Might get a match with Brock at Summer Slam.

Sorry about that.  I wasn't referring to you specifically making excuses...I was just rambling.

I don't think the knee got him in the head.  When Sonnen tried to block it, it knocked his hands into his head but the knee didn't do it.  My thinking would be looking at the point of the knee which dictates where that strike was intended to go. The point was in the sternum.  As accurate as Silva is, had he wanted to knee Sonnen in the head....Sonnen would have gotten the knee in the head with no doubts about it.  If it was illegal, Sonnen would be complaining.  He didn't even complain about the shorts grabbing.

Bryan A

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

sonnen had silva on his back for 4:56 of the first round, and for the most part, completely had his top game neutralized...so much so, sonnen did nothing with the mount for over a full minute.

if anyone watched the post card press conference, sonnen completely dismissed the short grabbing saying something to the effect, "it's part of the game, what goes around comes around, i've done it before, anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, and i'll end up grabbing someones shorts in the future."  sonnen also went on to say he had no issue with the knee strike.

i was cheering my heart out for sonnen, but anderson came in with a totally different level of alertness and situational awareness that we haven't seen, which was completely evident in round two.  he knew he couldn't afford to be taken down again, bc as the fight progressed, his ability to neutralize sonnen off his back would become progressively lessened.  conversely, sonnen knew the longer he was standing, the shorter the fight would be for him, so he panicked with the spinning elbow/back fist - and when he failed, he knew it was curtains.

sonnen is a weird breed.  i could see him going .500 if he fought 10 of the top 10 MWs in the UFC, but i don't see any other MW giving anderson a run for his money the way sonnen did for 6 out of the 7 rounds they fought.

all respect to silva, the guy is simply the GOAT.

I'd agree he's cleaned out the MW division but I think Munoz COULD give him some trouble because he's arguably a better wrestler than Chael. Lombard intrigues me because he has some great judo which would come in handy but if they can't get Anderson down it won't matter. I'd like to see Evans drop to MW but unless Dana fast tracks that fight Silva may be retired before that fight ever happens.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I'd agree he's cleaned out the MW division but I think Munoz COULD give him some trouble because he's arguably a better wrestler than Chael. Lombard intrigues me because he has some great judo which would come in handy but if they can't get Anderson down it won't matter. I'd like to see Evans drop to MW but unless Dana fast tracks that fight Silva may be retired before that fight ever happens.

Possibly but Silva just said that he has no intentions on retiring anytime soon.

It sounds like Evans is ready to book it now.  Anderson didn't take any damage so he should be ready pretty quick.

I like Munoz...he has a good attitude and HUGE power

Bryan A

I don't think Evans can compete with Silva at 185 after seeing him fight JBJ.  He wasn't fast enough to take JBJ down and while JBJ is quick, he's not as fast as Silva or as tricky with his striking yet.

Possibly but Silva just said that he has no intentions on retiring anytime soon.

It sounds like Evans is ready to book it now.  Anderson didn't take any damage so he should be ready pretty quick.

I like Munoz...he has a good attitude and HUGE power

Joe Paradiso

I don't think Evans can compete with Silva at 185 after seeing him fight JBJ.  He wasn't fast enough to take JBJ down and while JBJ is quick, he's not as fast as Silva or as tricky with his striking yet.

He's more powerful than most 185's, more than any that comes to mind...

Silva isn't one to get caught, mind you. Think he would pay a heavier cost if he got caught by Evans though.

I don't disagree with you there.

Bryan A

Evans has heavier hands at 205 than anyone Silva has faced but I'm not sure he would at 185.  Losing 20lbs as a fighter is tough unless you do it over a long period of time since most crash diet weight loss consists of water and muscle.

Some fighters have done well dropping weight classes but most look drawn and lose a significant amount of strength as the result of such a cut.   I remember when Diego Sanchez made the cut to welterweight and how bad he looked in his first fight at that weight class.

If Evans drops to 185 I'd suggest he have at least 2 fights before trying to fight Silva as his body will need the time to adjust to the new weight.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

He's more powerful than most 185's, more than any that comes to mind...

Silva isn't one to get caught, mind you. Think he would pay a heavier cost if he got caught by Evans though.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:
Evans has heavier hands at 205 than anyone Silva has faced but I'm not sure he would at 185.  Losing 20lbs as a fighter is tough unless you do it over a long period of time since most crash diet weight loss consists of water and muscle.

I disagree with you there.  Evans does have KO power but Franklin, Marquart (spelling?), and especially Hendo have heavy hands as well.

The match up would be interesting due to the fact Rashad can wrestle and unlike Chael can knock you out standing or by GNP.

I still think Silva handles him rather quickly because Rashad does not attack with his takedowns in a suffocating way similar to Sonnen but then again nobody does.

Dana indicated today on Jim Rome that he wants JBJ  and Silva to fight and is going to try to put that together. I doubt he will though.

Dana takes it personally when fighters refuse to fight due to being from the same camp or out of friendship.  The more they say they won't fight each other the more effort he places to make sure they do.  If you remember Dana was the one that caused the initial rift between JBJ and Evans because he kept forcing the issue and getting people to ask them if they'd fight each other.

Originally Posted by BEAN

Dana indicated today on Jim Rome that he wants JBJ  and Silva to fight and is going to try to put that together. I doubt he will though.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!