IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

As indicated in a couple of my other threads, I just got into the sport/game seriously only a few weeks ago.  It seems like back then, everyone wanted to go golfing.  After I get all my new clubs/bag/balls/etc everyone cannot make time for it.  However, I still want to get better.  I hit the range at least once per week.  However, I want to actually go to a course.  I mean, isn't that the point?

So, since I have no one who currently wants to golf, how "lame" is it to just go and play 9 or 18 by yourself?  Does anyone routinely do that?

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

I do it almost every time by myself man. I work 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off so I have a lot more free time that most and I utilize it on the lake and the course, both of which I tend to do when others are at work which makes it very peaceful.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I like to play 9 by myself occasionally to help my game.  I work on decision making and playing actual conditions similar to what I would encounter in league play.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I play by myself quite often. It's a great way to get in a set of super-twilight 9 holes after work.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I play by myself all the time.  Granted, its more fun to play with other people but playing alone beats not playing at all.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I show up as a single most of the time, and often get picked up by a group with a no-show or a couple playing alone.

About half the time I have a round scheduled with someone, they cancel out so they can clean the garage or go into work on their day off.

If you have a home course, the starter may be able to help you find people to play with.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I worked afternoons I would occasionally play 9 before work. It lets me get out when the course is empty to work on things I need to work on. Maybe take a couple shots, a few putts.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Almost every round I've played so far had been by myself. It still makes me nervous to play with someone, I can barely hit my driver with someone watching me. I do putt better with someone watching though.

Sincerely, Jim

I work at a golf course and I will go out late in the afternoon and find an open spot on the course and play a few holes. Lots of times I am working on something specific in my game so I will throw down 4-5 balls and hit a specific shot over and over. You can't really do that when playing with others.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

i enjoy playing by myself.  It gives me time to really work on my game.  If I hit a bad shot, i drop a new one and figure out what i did wrong.  I can practice my chips around the green, putting, trap shot.  It is great.  You can listen to your music, with earbuds of course, and most importantly enjoy the course.

I golf by myself all the time.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well, after the overwhelming percent of those who say (or do) play by themselves, I went out this evening.  Shot pretty good and the course was relatively empty.  I actually like it because if I was waiting for a group ahead of me, and no one was behind me, I'd practice a few chip shots that I had missed when I was scoring.  In fact, it gave me a chance to play out of the bunker a few times (that I had previously shot badly on), since I don't have much experience with being in bunkers.

All in all, shot a 51 on 9 holes including a birdie on a Par 5.  Missed the eagle chip by a foot :/

I'll definitely be going solo more often, just so I can get some extra playing in.

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

Play probably half of my time on the course solo. It has its ups and downs, though. I agree with the post above about not playing as well solo. I would say a solo round is generally about 5 strokes higher than if I have a playing partner. But I do like being able to play multiple balls to get a little on course practice, work on my swing without feeling rushed. I tried listening to headphones on the course playing solo after reading another thread on here, and didn't really like it. But I play quite a bit of spur of the moment golf, and I really don't mind playing alone.

Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!