IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

My weekday 9 hole round I play alone, usually 2-3 times a week. Weekends I just send a mass text out to the golfer guys I know and usually get a few replies back yes or no. Generally it's me and one other. I'll call in a tee time for two no matter if I have a partner or not though. Someone ALWAYS calls the morning of "hey I gotta out of doing xxxxxx for the day, still playing?"

Unfortunately, I dont play solo often enough anymore. I have a saturday round with with my kid from the BBBS program, my wife, and her kid from the program. Sunday I have a regular foursome, monday morning I play with the club pro, and tuesday night is league play. If im lucky, ill get 9 in alone on wednesday night. Thursday night the wife and I always do something together, and I keep friday nights free in case she wants to do something or hang out. We are both extremely active people, with a lot going on, and a lot of friends. Thankfully we found a balance. Its a good thing we decided against having kids, because our whole lives would have to change, and neither of us wants that.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I'll go solo when nobody wants to go, but sometimes you want to get out there to just work on your game without anyone there. I tend to shoot better with the pressure of someone there watching however. It makes me focus more on my swing.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

If you are sociable at all, going out alone is fine and by hole 5 you dont feel alone at all. I always seem to meet nice interesting people and be curtious and they will do the same.

If I never played alone I might get one maybe 2 rounds a week. I almost prefer golfing alone. You can move faster and dont have to worry about anyone else. More people just makes for more hassle.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I golf as  a single most of the time and usually get paired up by the starter.  I have had extremely good luck in that most people I've been paired with gave been very nice.  I did get paired with one obscenity-spouting club-thrower, that wasn't the most fun 4.5 hours I've ever spent... but that was the exception not the rule.

Very rarely get the course to myself but I love it when I do, especially late afternoon/evening.  You can just stop, look around, and hear nothing but birds, the breeze, etc.  It's peaceful.

I play alone all the time and I love it.  I also enjoy playing with friends.

Often I will go to the course at 5-6 pm and tee off.  I never have anyone behind me so I can drop multiple balls and work on certain aspects of my game.

I'll play alone during the week or in the afternoon, but I never show up alone  on Saturday or Sunday morning when tee times are booked looking to be paired with a threesome.

I prefer to play by myself, but Im good either way. I used to get really nervous playing with strangers, but I noticed by the third or fourth hole that all goes away anyway.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I play alone all the time. Part of the deal when you play at off-peak times. I prefer to play with friends but prefer to play alone to playing with strangers. Getting paired up is a crap shoot. Not always a bad thing but can be frustrating.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd say I actually prefer playing golf alone. It gives me the chance to really focus on what I'm doing and I tend to play better alone.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Its a good thing we decided against having kids, because our whole lives would have to change, and neither of us wants that.

My wife is my main golfing buddy - same comment applies to our golfing.  Although, if she's working late, I often play alone - makes me somehow focus more on what I'm doing & is typically more productive.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'll be out by myself tomorrow when the course opens at 7am.  Since it's supposed to be about 102 degrees in the afternoon I hope to be done in 2 1/2 hours or so.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

I'll be out by myself tomorrow when the course opens at 7am.  Since it's supposed to be about 102 degrees in the afternoon I hope to be done in 2 1/2 hours or so.

While wearing my cargo shorts and smoking a joint (just kidding about that last part).  Still can't believe that cargo shorts are an issue for some people.

I play 9 (sometimes 18 this time of year) by myself at least twice a week. Once in a blue moon, I'll get someone to go in the afternoon during the week, but they usually want to get a cart. So, I usually opt to play by myself. It's a pain sometimes getting stuck behind people, but I play there enough that they don't care if I skip around.

Originally Posted by formula428

As indicated in a couple of my other threads, I just got into the sport/game seriously only a few weeks ago.  It seems like back then, everyone wanted to go golfing.  After I get all my new clubs/bag/balls/etc everyone cannot make time for it.  However, I still want to get better.  I hit the range at least once per week.  However, I want to actually go to a course.  I mean, isn't that the point?

So, since I have no one who currently wants to golf, how "lame" is it to just go and play 9 or 18 by yourself?  Does anyone routinely do that?

Nothing wrong with it, but I don't enjoy playing alone.  First choice is playing with friends, second is playing with strangers, a distant third is playing alone.  Most of the time I'll blow it off rather than playing alone.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

While wearing my cargo shorts and smoking a joint (just kidding about that last part).  Still can't believe that cargo shorts are an issue for some people.

I think cargo shorts are hideous, regardless of where you are.  If you care about the way you look in public, you should not even own a pair of cargo shorts.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

I think cargo shorts are hideous, regardless of where you are.  If you care about the way you look in public, you should not even own a pair of cargo shorts.

We have a thread for that, and this one isn't it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!