IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

I was lucky enough to play 14 times in December, here in upstate NY.  9 or 10 of those days I played alone because I was the only person at the club.  I'm 65 and I walk and carry and I hope to get out several more times this winter if the snow melts.  I know I'll miss the peace and solitude at least a little when the cart-riders come out of hibernation this spring.

The Big Brown Truck should be dropping off my new Jones bag today.  I'll be getting that ready for the next thaw..................the Mailman

When you say "lousy", I'm thinking you're implying it's lousy when you've got someone speeding up behind your foursome, getting impatient and wanting to play through, or worse, hitting into you.

I play 9 by myself quite frequently, mostly due to time constrains. That said, it's usually in the afternoon or evening when it's not busy.

I think it's fine, just go knowing that you're probably not going to be able to play at your pace, and be polite to the golfers ahead of you. We all hate having our play rushed along, so just use common sense. If you're waiting, work on your setup, or better yet stretch a bit. It'll make your next drive that much better.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

When you say "lousy", I'm thinking you're implying it's lousy when you've got someone speeding up behind your foursome, getting impatient and wanting to play through, or worse, hitting into you.

another 'lousy' is when it's busy and you see a single take an entire time slot or refuse to mix in with others just to play solo

however, that's a problem with the starters and the course guys (IMO)

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with that. If you're on your own and it's a busy time slot, do the right thing and at least pair-up with someone. Sometimes, if I'm playing a course for the first time, I'll ask the guy in the office if I cam be teamed up with club member. It's a good way to learn a new course.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBaffy

another 'lousy' is when it's busy and you see a single take an entire time slot or refuse to mix in with others just to play solo

however, that's a problem with the starters and the course guys (IMO)

I haven't seen a public course in Colorado that will even allow this.  I've played a lot of Colorado courses, Denver area and mountains, and if you play on a weekend or during a busy time, you will be paired up with someone.  That's almost a given,and you won't be given a choice.  You'll be paired up or you won't play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I haven't seen a public course in Colorado that will even allow this.  I've played a lot of Colorado courses, Denver area and mountains, and if you play on a weekend or during a busy time, you will be paired up with someone.  That's almost a given,and you won't be given a choice.  You'll be paired up or you won't play.

California as well.  Never, ever, ever heard of or seen anything like this.  That's why all of the talk about singles playing and pace (and not to mention the state of the game talks) always confuses me because unless you are playing the back nine at the crack of dawn or teeing off 3:45 or less before it gets dark, then you're in a group with other people.  (Not counting private courses or sometimes super nice resort courses)

California as well.  Never, ever, ever heard of or seen anything like this

CO and Cali - glad to hear it.  It is very unusual for sure.  Absolutely the starter and marshalls should take of it like normal business.  Like someone not sharing a ski lift - but people still do it.

Another version of the same thing -

course is VERY tight, a two-some is gaining on another twosome....

1st two recommend they combine into a 4-some.  2nd 2 - "no, we'd rather just play on our own, we'll wait"

when it's very tight, the courteous thing to do (for the rest of the 4 somes on the course) is to join when the opportunity presents itself

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

California as well.  Never, ever, ever heard of or seen anything like this.  That's why all of the talk about singles playing and pace (and not to mention the state of the game talks) always confuses me because unless you are playing the back nine at the crack of dawn or teeing off 3:45 or less before it gets dark, then you're in a group with other people.  (Not counting private courses or sometimes super nice resort courses)

Nope, I get out on my own, but I do have a monthly pass. I can move really fast, though. Sometimes I even pass up some twosomes driving carts.

Back 9 is an option around 7:00am, but I can typically play a full 18 by 9:30 starting at 6:00am. People are usually very nice about letting me pass them up. Which is why it was surprising when one guy was hesitant last week, but ultimately let me pass when I was pin high in regulation.

The normal crowd in the mornings here are really friendly and accommodating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

CO and Cali - glad to hear it.  It is very unusual for sure.  Absolutely the starter and marshalls should take of it like normal business.  Like someone not sharing a ski lift - but people still do it.

1st two recommend they combine into a 4-some.  2nd 2 - "no, we'd rather just play on our own, we'll wait"

when it's very tight, the courteous thing to do (for the rest of the 4 somes on the course) is to join when the opportunity presents itself

True, everyone I know will definitely group up with others if there is a crunch.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Maybe geography has something to do with it.

The town where I play has a population of about 2400 people, about two hours NorthEast of Toronto, Canada.

The course (White 5145 yds, RCGA course rating 65.7, Slope rating 105) probably wouldn't see the traffic of those places in Colorado and California.

I've seen days in September when I'm the only guy out on the front nine. At least it feels that way.

That said, if it's a busy Saturday morning, you pair-up.

I see a lot of singles out on busy courses with no starter. One course I play the first tee is about a 1/4 mile from the front desk, across a street and into a neighborhood. Never a starter there. It's silly but you might have a couple of twosomes waiting and then a single goes out after them. But it's rare it's that busy. I check in and not once have they told me I am paired with someone. Last time I play I ended up on the first tee with two singles. One a ranger I know and the other guy just walked up. It was mid afternoon and nobody was checked in after that. The starter asked if we wanted to pair up. Me and the ranger headed out and the other guy stayed back and waited. But I play some funky rural places where just about anything goes. I book times and get there early to practice or whatever. If nobody is on the tee I just head out no matter what my time is. I've finished the front and just headed right back to the 1st tee to avoid late back traffic. They don't care what I do.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Nope, I get out on my own, but I do have a monthly pass. I can move really fast, though. Sometimes I even pass up some twosomes driving carts.

Back 9 is an option around 7:00am, but I can typically play a full 18 by 9:30 starting at 6:00am. People are usually very nice about letting me pass them up. Which is why it was surprising when one guy was hesitant last week, but ultimately let me pass when I was pin high in regulation.

The normal crowd in the mornings here are really friendly and accommodating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehmwa

Quote:

True, everyone I know will definitely group up with others if there is a crunch.

What I'm talking about is a busy course with no gaps.  I'm not about let a twosome or a single through if there is no room in front of me.  All that does is slow my group just that much more, and since we are already waiting  on most shots, I'm not inclined to let someone benefit at the expense of everyone he tries to pass.  I've been in that position of accidentally being sent out as a single (there happened to be a cancellation and I was the only one on the list waiting to play) behind a course full of foursomes, and I just accept my fate.  I've even been asked if I want to play through, and I decline because it doesn't gain anything for anyone.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

What I'm talking about is a busy course with no gaps.  I'm not about let a twosome or a single through if there is no room in front of me.  All that does is slow my group just that much more, and since we are already waiting  on most shots, I'm not inclined to let someone benefit at the expense of everyone he tries to pass.  I've been in that position of accidentally being sent out as a single (there happened to be a cancellation and I was the only one on the list waiting to play) behind a course full of foursomes, and I just accept my fate.  I've even been asked if I want to play through, and I decline because it doesn't gain anything for anyone.

The funny thing is, if people just adhered to the basic rule of let the faster group/player play through if there is an opening, without worrying about how many are in which group and whether they are walking or riding, it would all sort out nicely.  There is a big difference between a course filled with foursomes and a less busy course with different sized groups and more fluctuation in gaps between groups.  But in either case that simple rule still works.  I understand the frustration of a single playing behind a foursome with all kinds of room in front who will not let them play through.  But I also understand the foursome that does not want to let a single through because there is no gap.  But that basic rule covers it all.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 2 weeks later...
I play worse when it is just me. I do however enjoy hitting a few more balls if the course is that empty. Favorite time to golf alone is October when it is a bit overcast or even some rain. Throw up the 68 inch umbrella attach it to my push cart and rock my rain gear. Perfect to hit a bunch of balls at the Greens.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

In my tiny town in Vermont, I can play alone on a Saturday afternoon in summer, not see more than a couple of people, maybe run into the pro giving a lesson on a hole. He always waves me through. I can take multiple tee shots on a par three, for example, experiment with different clubs. I would never do that if there was somebody on the hole behind me, BTW. My big worry is that the course won't be here the next year. The thing I don't like about playing alone is that it can go too fast, and what is better than being on a golf course on a summer day that I would want to rush off of it?  That doesn't mean I don't have courtesy for others on the course, of course I do, just that I don't care for speeding through golf.

I used like playing alone, can't anymore...cuz I can't see the dang ball if goes more than 120 yds...lol

Ha. I went to the PGA event in Connecticut, The Travelers. and was watching the pros drive on the range, and seeing a ball disappear from sight that you are visually tracking was pretty cool, but depressing at the same time.

Three days a week 9 holes walking with my Clicgear cart.  Sometimes I do 18 riding when one of my friends wants to golf but most of the time I am out there solo.  In the winter we have a golf dome and I am out three days aweek hitting golf balls.  You meet freinds just being out and if you join a league you will get teamed up with others who soon become your golf buddies.  I am talking as a retired senior and will love the game as long as I am able to swing a golf club alone or with friends it does not matter to me...

Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!