IGNORED

Losing distance with my irons...

Note: This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently I've been playing quite a bit.... and I've been noticing that I've been losing a lot of distance in my irons... (well like a club and in some cases a club and a half)... I'm 6'6" and 25 years old... I hit the ball relatively high... I like that because it stops dead on greens that run away... but I was getting more distance even earlier in the season...

Would widening my stance help?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by onthehunt526

Recently I've been playing quite a bit....

Any chance you're overswinging on the backswing? In past seasons when I could play a lot, I sometimes would get pumped up and start getting high, weak shots.

A quick check by the local pro usually revealed overswinging, resulting in loss of balance and fewer solid hits on follow-through.

This year I'm doing other things wrong, but that was the problem circa 2009.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think maybe WUTiger nailed it. A weak shot tends to be a timing issue. Maybe over swing and using upper body to pull the club square because of a longer back swing. Just try taking half swings at the range and i think you will find everything coming thru the ball instead of just upper body. Hope that makes sense to you.

I had that issue not too long ago. I know i can hit it much further but at that time, i was really struggling and lost a lot of my "natural" distance.

The solution for me: I was putting too much weight towards the heel and arch of my feet. Once i realized that, moving my weight back to the balls of my feet instantly fixed it, permanently now.

I know some people have different weight distribution preferences (some advocate balanced between balls of feet and hell, some say more heel, some say "suction cup" to the ground, etc) but the more i see the pros, where they setup the club below (towards body) the ball, and then move their body forward (towards ball) and place the club square to the ball - the more i think they have more weight on the balls of their feet and really not much on their heels.

I know it worked wonders for me.

I had the same issue last season.....figured out I was "sweeping" the ball with my irons too much and wasn't compressing the ball properly. The shots I was hitting didn't feel "flush", but still flew straight and high.

Is this the same feeling you're getting?

I remedied the this by going to the range a few times and taking half/three-quarter swings and really focusing on compressing the ball and hitting down-and-through more as opposed to "sweeping". Hope this is useful.....

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by showtime583

I had the same issue last season.....figured out I was "sweeping" the ball with my irons too much and wasn't compressing the ball properly. The shots I was hitting didn't feel "flush", but still flew straight and high.

I remedied the this by going to the range a few times and taking half/three-quarter swings and really focusing on compressing the ball and hitting down-and-through more as opposed to "sweeping". Hope this is useful.....

Bingo!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

You may be coming over the top? When I lose distance with my irons, which costs me loads of shot and the respect of my playing partners by dumping it in the front bunker after claiming I really could get my 7 back there. I am usually coming ott

I'm having the same issue.

Can you explain more about how you are compressing the ball and hitting down?  Are you literally trying to hit the ball into the ground?  Or do you just have a forward leaning shaft and the angle of attack is just slightly downward?  I've been trying to hit down but it seems the more my hands are in front of the ball the more the face is open and I can't really integrate it into my full swing.  When I try this though I can hit half swings nearly as far as a full swing.

Originally Posted by mnshooter

Can you explain more about how you are compressing the ball and hitting down?  Are you literally trying to hit the ball into the ground?  Or do you just have a forward leaning shaft and the angle of attack is just slightly downward?  I've been trying to hit down but it seems the more my hands are in front of the ball the more the face is open and I can't really integrate it into my full swing.  When I try this though I can hit half swings nearly as far as a full swing.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38588/flipping-at-impact-master-thread

Check this out.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I used to do this up until a couple seasons ago. I tried to be a picker but I'm no Tom Watson. I'll never turn the sod like Hal Sutton or Mark McCumber or Bubba, but sometimes a healthy divot is required.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by mnshooter

Hmmm....well I'm not an instructor, nor am I qualified to give advice, but here goes nothing....I'm not trying to hit the ball into the ground, but am trying to get more of a "pinch" feeling as opposed to a "sweep".....One of my favorite swing thoughts (as a righty) is to feel like i'm "bitch-slapping" the back of the ball with the back of my left hand at impact. This helps me accentuate the hitting "down and through" feeling.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

• 4 months later...

I can say that hitting down on the ball and then through it is all that is required.

Way too many golfers use a much too far back swing. If you take a half to three/quarter back swing and actually hit down on the ball and follow through, you'll be amazed.

If you can't follow through, you are hitting down too much; if you never feel the resistance at the moment of impact or compressing the ball, you're not hitting down into it enough.

When you can hit down and through the ball and take that 'as seen on TV' divot the pros take and 'never even feel it', then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Doc

Originally Posted by DocParty

I can say that hitting down on the ball and then through it is all that is required.

Way too many golfers use a much too far back swing. If you take a half to three/quarter back swing and actually hit down on the ball and follow through, you'll be amazed.

If you can't follow through, you are hitting down too much; if you never feel the resistance at the moment of impact or compressing the ball, you're not hitting down into it enough.

When you can hit down and through the ball and take that 'as seen on TV' divot the pros take and 'never even feel it', then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Doc

I think that not only knowing the difference between the 2 swings, but being able to swing both when you want to is important.  Around 70-90 yards, depending on how wet/dry or just how the ball is laying, I'll intentionally play a more sweeping wedge knowing that it'll take yards off, because it feels like I'll get better contact and not take as big a divot.  I've gotten to the point with that in mind, I can put the ball just as close if not closer than I would with a "steeper" or more compressed swing.  For me, within 130yds, it's all about feel and what I think will put the ball close to the pin. I'll do shots that most people think incorrect, but if I KNOW i can make it work, I'll do it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!