• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daver77

Switching out a 5 wood for a 3 hybrid

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out what the best set up is and the more I play the more I realize 2 things.

1. I may have less than average distance

2. The more I use fairways and hybrids the better I score.

this is my current set up

Taylormade Burner Driver 10.5 225 Yds
Titelist 3 Wood 3 Wood 15 200
Taylormade Burner 5 Wood 18 180
Taylormade Burner 4 Hybrid 22 170
Ping G10 5 Iron 27 160
Ping G10 6 Iron 30 150
Ping G10 7 Iron 34 140
Ping G10 8 Iron 38 130
Ping G10 9 Iron 42 120
Ping G10 Pitching Wedge 46 110
Ping G10 Gap Wedge 50 85
Cleveland CG15 Sand Wedge 56-8 70
Cleveland CG15 Lob Wedge 60-10 50

Im thinking of getting rid of my 5 wood and getting a 3 hybrid that I hit about 190yds. It's an Adams a12 Pro Hybrid .

I hit that hybrid more consistently than the 5 wood I have now. Seems like a no brainer since the 3 wood I find difficult to hit off the fairway. I just started playing in Sept of last year but I have been playing every weekend and taking lessons from a fiend. I'm scoring around 110 right now.

What do you guys think?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by Daver77

... Im thinking of getting rid of my 5 wood and getting a 3 hybrid that I hit about 190yds. It's an Adams a12 Pro Hybrid.

I hit that hybrid more consistently than the 5 wood I have now. Seems like a no brainer since the 3 wood I find difficult to hit off the fairway. ...

A couple of things to consider....

Take a lesson from a pro on fairway woods. Your 3W and 5W problems may have to do with set-up or swing glitches rather than strictly equipment. Some people use hybrids only - no fairway woods - but you sacrifice distance if you go this route.

Also consider trying a 4 Wood... a couple of degrees more loft can really help you hit it off the fairway.

AFter playing four years with a 3 Wood and alternating between 5W and trouble club, I finally switched to a 4W and a 7W with slightly lighter shafts. Lot more reliable shots now from the fairway and short rough.

So, I would suggest getting a lesson or two, and then getting on a launch monitor to get some ball flight data before deciding on new clubs. Remember that getting the right shaft is half of getting a good golf club.

Be systematic about it. See if you need a swing tweak, a club change, or both.

Welcome to golfdom, and keep us posted on what happens.

Deffo think the hybrid is the way forward, allows an extra wedge in the bag for the all important short game!

I hit the piss out of my 5w.

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Agree on the 5W.  Easiest club in my bag to hit.  Goes 20 yards longer than my 3H.

I swapped out the 5 wood and 3 iron in favour of a 2 hybrid (18°) and added an extra wedge.

My 5 wood was very deep faced meaning I could only hit it off the tee anyway.

Id go with the 3H.  Fairway woods can be really difficult clubs to hit, especially off of the deck.

Just added hybrids to the bag.  always just went with the long irons.  (had a 2H years ago, but never really learned how to hit)

Growing up, the 5W was the easiest club to hit.  Remember it would go about 160-175 and was very consistent.  Might give one of those a try.

Just sold my TM SuperFast 5 wood. Found I was useing it on only one hole. Now carry a TM R-9, TM Burner 3 w, TM 3, 4, 5 Burner hybrids. Best thing I ever did.

I'm going through the same question myself, as I just picked up a set of the Adams A3 OS 3H - PW.  According to the Adams site, the specs are:

3 Hybrid
4 Hybrid
5 Hybrid
6 Hybrid
7 Hybrid
8 Hybrid
9 Iron
PW
19º
22º
25º
28º
32º
36º
40º
44º

I'm currently carrying both a 3W and 5W as well as a PW that is a higher loft than the Adams PW, Lob wedge and sand wedge.  Add the putter and driver, and that gets me to 7 clubs, 15 with the new set.  I'm leaning towards ditching the 5w, since the 5 hybrid is roughly the same from a loft perspective and I don't feel like I hit the 5w very consistently (or often, for that matter).  I'm thinking my current PW will serve as a good gap wedge, otherwise I'm going from a 44 degree PW to a 56 degree SW which seems a bit huge.

I do need to get out and hit the new set and am planning on hitting up a nearby par 3 course to get a gauge on actual distances.  With my old set, I pretty consistently hit my 5i 150 and 7i 120.

I'm still playing around with my set.  I had been carrying a 16.5° 4W, a 21° 3H, then a 24° 4H.  Right now I trying a 15° 3W, a 19° 5 wood, then a 23° 4H.

Trying the 3W for off the tee shots, and the 5W for fairway and rough shots. I hit the hybrids well, but wanted to try something different to see what happens.

Are these accurate, or just guesses?  You have 10 yard gaps from the 5W to PW with 4° loft spacing (for the most part), but a 5° gap from 4H to 5I with still only a 10 yard gap?

Originally Posted by Daver77

Taylormade Burner

Driver

225 Yds

Titelist 3 Wood

3 Wood

Taylormade Burner

5 Wood

Taylormade Burner

4 Hybrid

Ping G10

5 Iron

Ping G10

6 Iron

Ping G10

7 Iron

Ping G10

8 Iron

Ping G10

9 Iron

Ping G10

Pitching Wedge

Ping G10

Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG15

Sand Wedge

56-8

Cleveland CG15

Lob Wedge

60-10

Originally Posted by LBlack14

+1  Couldn't get rid of my 5W.  I also carry a 3h and it is 7 to 10 yards shorter than the 5W.  It all depends on how a particular person's clubs "break" at distance intervals.

Well you already don't have a 3i and have 4 wedges, so it's not a question of replacing both the 5W and 3i with a 2h/3h.  Personally I have a 19˚ 2h in my bag that replaces a 5W and almost always replaces my 3i.  I like the hybrid instead of 5W myself.  But it's personal preference.  If you feel you hit the 2h/3h better than your 5W, then go for it.  And it sounds like the one you're considering actually goes further than your current 5W, so there's no sacrifice of distance to worry about.

Awards and Achievements

I am about the same as Daver77

Callaway FT-iz 11* PX 5.0  200-225

Powerbilt AFO 3W 13* Reg 180-200

Powerbilt AFO 5W 18* Reg 175

Callaway FT 3H 21* Stiff 185

Callaway FT 4H 24* Stiff 170

Mizuno 5 27* PX 4.5  150-160

Mizuno 6 30* PX 4.5  145-150

Mizuno 7 34* PX 4.5  135-145

Mizuno 8 38* PX 4.5  120-130

Mizuno 9 42* PX 4.5  110-120

Mizuno PW 45* PX 4.5 100-108

Mizuno GW 50* PX 4.5  75-90

Mizuno SW 55* DG spinner 55-70

I alternate the 5W with a Nickent 3DX 2H 17* that I hit 190-205 with a low trajectory.  Usually when i play a course with a lot of trees.

I went out yesterday, used the 5 wood a lot. I changed my mind I think I'm going to keep it. Scored a 103. Now if I can only learn to use my driver consistantly.