IGNORED

Sunglasses on back of cap??

cliffj
Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you want to get a quizzical look from a golfer who wears their sunglasses upside down behind their head, ask them why... The answer, of course, is that the professionals do it . (and they do it so that their sponsor's logos will show up unobstructed on tv, etc) This got me to wonder if there are other counter-intuitive things that are done just because the pros do it.. (excluding slow play)

It's not counter-intuitive. If you're not wearing them on your eyes, putting them upside-down on the back of your hat is easy because you can just flip the glasses over your head.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cliffj

If you want to get a quizzical look from a golfer who wears their sunglasses upside down behind their head, ask them why... The answer, of course, is that the professionals do it . (and they do it so that their sponsor's logos will show up unobstructed on tv, etc)

This got me to wonder if there are other counter-intuitive things that are done just because the pros do it.. (excluding slow play)

The only thing I've found it good for is losing them.  I just don't wear sunglasses on the course.  Can't get used to hitting with them on, and if I put them up on my hat, either frontwards or backwards, then the next time I think about it they're gone.  I just gave up bothering with them.

Originally Posted by jamo

It's not counter-intuitive. If you're not wearing them on your eyes, putting them upside-down on the back of your hat is easy because you can just flip the glasses over your head.

Doesn't the bill or brim of the cap sort of get in the way for that?  Or are you one of those challenged individuals who hasn't figured out what the bill is for, and puts it on backwards.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Doesn't the bill or brim of the cap sort of get in the way for that?  Or are you one of those challenged individuals who hasn't figured out what the bill is for, and puts it on backwards.

Post of the day

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

• Administrator

I just rest mine on the brim of my cap. Even if they're not snug they're not going to fall down the back of my neck or something like they could if I put them on the way described in the OP.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Doesn't the bill or brim of the cap sort of get in the way for that?  Or are you one of those challenged individuals who hasn't figured out what the bill is for, and puts it on backwards. ;-)

FWIW, I do put mine on the front, I just don't think it's outrageous or counter-intuitive to put it on the back (but no, the brim doesn't really get in the way).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by cliffj

This got me to wonder if there are other counter-intuitive things that are done just because the pros do it.. (excluding slow play)

Yes.  Yesterday I watched a few kids in the group in front of us spray their tee shots a few times and each time they yelled "fore, right" or "fore, left."  That is obviously pointless because if you are not at a professional tournament, the people that you are yelling at are not watching you, and therefore have no idea if they are to the right or left of the fairway at which you were aiming.  I guess the next cool thing to do will be to avoid yelling altogether and just point left or right, Bubba Watson style.

Another counter-intuitive thing to do (and several of us, including myself, are guilty of this) is to play the clubs or balls (or even shots) our favorite players play, which are not necessarily the best for us.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yes.  Yesterday I watched a few kids in the group in front of us spray their tee shots a few times and each time they yelled "fore, right" or "fore, left."  That is obviously pointless because if you are not at a professional tournament, the people that you are yelling at are not watching you, and therefore have no idea if they are to the right or left of the fairway at which you were aiming.  I guess the next cool thing to do will be to avoid yelling altogether and just point left or right, Bubba Watson style.

Yet if they can hear the direction from which you're yelling, they can deduce which side they're on…

For example, if you're facing someone and they are to your right, and they yell "fore left" you're safe. If you're facing away from those same people, and they are still to your right, "fore left" means you should look out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Until recently I used to play with sunglasses on. I don't think it makes a difference one way or another. I thought that the squinting/glare would kill me, but the hat brim does a decent job of mitigating that and I don't play much when the sun is at it's brightest. So after some adjustment I don't really notice it any more. I'm trying to think of anything I do that was inspired by the pros do. It's hard to be sure, but the only thing I can think of is that I've found some who's swing tempos intrigued me that I tried to imitate. And I'm sure I've picked up a small piece or two of my pre-shot routine from pros.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by iacas

Yet if they can hear the direction from which you're yelling, they can deduce which side they're on…

For example, if you're facing someone and they are to your right, and they yell "fore left" you're safe. If you're facing away from those same people, and they are still to your right, "fore left" means you should look out.

OK, I'll buy that, but in the time you have to decide whether or not you are on the right or left, it seems like it would be safe to duck anyway, thus the extra directional warning is not necessary.  (And, I would still bet that most people doing it are doing it because the pros do)

Either way, its no matter, but it does give me an idea for a new thread ...

Originally Posted by Fourputt

fail-owned-hat-fail.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have been putting sunnies on the back of my hat for years. They tend to sit better on the back because they can wrap around the back of your head.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I wear glasses and use the clip on pair of sunglass lenses that came with the glasses for everything outdoors in the sun.  I'll take them off occasionally to check the line of a putt but otherwise they stay on when I'm playing.

If I bring sun glasses to the course with me I wear them on the back of my head like the pros do and I feel like a pro in doing so and it makes me feel good so you guys don't have to shit on me :) I like doing it

Ha yea I wouldn't wear them like that even if I was a pro, Costas always do the trick whether on the water or the course

Wouldn't wear them that way. I wear glasses anyway, so when it's sunny out I play with my prescription sunglasses on. Nice Oakley frames that work well for golf.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 3 months later...

I admit I have done this !

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!