IGNORED

Private courses are for.........

Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 members have voted

1. 1. private golf courses are for .......

• those who are good players and dont want hackers getting drunk on and tearing up their course
    • higher class people who only want to be around other higher class people while playing golf
    • those who might be racist towards people of a different color
    • people who have the extra money to spend so they are pampered as soon as they set foot on the course
    • people who take the game of golf more serious and dont mind paying for the more serious atmosphere

I voted the last one, but dont feel that any really apply.

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours, monthly tournaments and playing around people that take pride in their course.

As an added benefit, our pro shop charges less for any equipment than you will find anywhere else, there are many non-golf extracurricular activities constantly and I always have a place to get a drink where I know everyone.

• Upvote 3

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours, monthly tournaments and playing around people that take pride in their course.

As an added benefit, our pro shop charges less for any equipment than you will find anywhere else, there are many non-golf extracurricular activities constantly and I always have a place to get a drink where I know everyone.

then u should of voted the paying extra to be pampered one.

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours,

This does.

Originally Posted by Lost-Ball

then u should of voted the paying extra to be pampered one.

I agree with Harmonious.  This doesn't say pampered to me.  I take pampered to mean valets, caddies, shoe shiners, and such.

Meenman just wants the luxury of not having to deal with enormous crowds and torn up greens.

(And I didn't vote, because if I did/could join a private club it would be for the same reasons as Meenman)

• Upvote 1

The advantages of a private club are many:  rounds under 4 hours, generally better conditions on the course, especially the greens -- people seem to care for their course because they will be playing there a lot, and sometimes there are especially good pros.  The disadvantages are higher expense (typically.)  Some private clubs tend to cater to single digit handicaps, some to members who demonstrate a love and knowledge of the game, and some just because you live within a development, and yes there are some who appear to have a level of snobbery -- but I have not really encounter that in a few decades.  A club's personality and whether it is more or less exclusionary varies all over the place.  I did not give an answer for the questions above.  I choose golf courses based on the quality of the course and the typical speed of play one can expect.

RC

That 3rd option is ridiculous in my opinion.

If I could afford it.. I would be part of a private course also. It would be a comfort thing. Another piece of the game to call 'your own', a second home even.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

To keep all the riff raff out. I don't want to play 5 hour + rounds and my club course is clearly the best in the state. Definitely worth it.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator

I voted for the last one, only because it was the best, but none of the options are great (and the one is just ridiculous).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted for the last one, only because it was the best, but none of the options are great (and the one is just ridiculous).

Agreed on all points. I joined one for better practice facilities: grass ranges, short game area, etc. There are some affordable private clubs out there. They aren't just for the super rich.

Constantine

I recently played a tournament at a private club and I'll surely be joining one next year. I'm 18 so I don't have to pay all that much, and with my current summer employment and simple investments I believe I'll have the funds to pay for my annual + membership fee. The reason I love it is because once you've paid, it's unlimited practice on a beautiful course that isn't very crowded, a practice range where every ball is an NXT Tour and you actually hit off GRASS, and locker room facilities nicer than I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

I had a summer membership years ago at Binks Forest in Wellington, Fl, the only time I've been a member anywhere. It was a nice experience for a number of reasons -

They knew me by name when I'd show up.

Range balls were complimentary.

Course was always wide open.

And it was a nice course. Often I would go there just to practice, not to play, and I enjoyed having my run of the range, putting green, etc. It was peaceful.

So those are my reasons, which don't neatly fit any of the categories (I don't consider them knowing me by name to being 'pampered'), but is closest to the last one, so that's how I voted.

Is there a difference between Private Courses and Country Club courses that are members-only?

I think they just join "because they can" and they are rich and rich people gonna rich. I know some really awesome people with a lot of money, and I know even more fat grumps with a lot of money. Most of the awesome people don't join the Country Club here because it's full of fat grumpy men whose hearts are green with money-lust.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Originally Posted by pixel5

Is there a difference between Private Courses and Country Club courses that are members-only?

I think they just join "because they can" and they are rich and rich people gonna rich. I know some really awesome people with a lot of money, and I know even more fat grumps with a lot of money. Most of the awesome people don't join the Country Club here because it's full of fat grumpy men whose hearts are green with money-lust.

Just a little bit of envy/bias in this post, wouldn't you say?.

• Upvote 1

I can promise you that the people at my home course are not "super rich".  It's worth the dues to play a course that while not pristine, is certainly no goat track either.  The people there take golf seriously but themselves, not so much.  Are there a few asshats, sure, but mostly just good people.  You can be "private" without being "exclusive".  By that I mean if you want to join my club and are willing to agree to pay the dues, you can join.   My initiation process involved me simply stroking a check for the 1st month and then going on out to play.   I guess the last option suits me best.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Just a little bit of envy/bias in this post, wouldn't you say?.

Envy? Absolutely not. Bias? Everyone in this thread is biased because they either are a private course member or aren't.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!