IGNORED

Private courses are for.........

Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 members have voted

1. 1. private golf courses are for .......

• those who are good players and dont want hackers getting drunk on and tearing up their course
    • higher class people who only want to be around other higher class people while playing golf
    • those who might be racist towards people of a different color
    • people who have the extra money to spend so they are pampered as soon as they set foot on the course
    • people who take the game of golf more serious and dont mind paying for the more serious atmosphere

I would love to belong to a CC.  I am not a very good golfer (18 hdcp) but enjoy playing.  I am not willing to put out the money at this time as I am nearing retirement.  I will agree that on the finer courses I have played, it is nice to know that the greens are not bumpy, that people fix their ball marks and divots.  The remark about being behind high handicappers makes me wonder if it is only they that play slow.  I like to play at a quick pace, and have found that I have to wait on people ahead of me that tend to be better golfers because they have this ritual they go through before they hit, putt, or anything.  Stand behind the ball and take 3/4 swings.  Get up to the ball, take 4/5 swings.  Back away, step up to the ball, take 3/4 swings then hit the ball.  Maybe I would score better if I did all that, but I am aware of those behind me and try to keep play moving.  It is not only "high handicappers" that slow the game down.

Reading some of this makes me think that "high handicappers" have no place on a CC course or a Private Course.  Very few ever start their golf as beginners with single digit hdcp.

Golf Snobs Are Everywhere!!!!!!!!

Roy

For some reason my group always seems to get behind the group of high handicappers at the CCs we play.

and at my club we are stuck behind the same low hc's every week that play like turtles. I am the low in my group with a course HC of 22, the others are 26-28. Last week we had the some b itchy old ladies behind us that finally came storming up to us asking if there was anyone in front of us. They ran off when we responded that we were waiting just like them.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would love to belong to a CC.  I am not a very good golfer (18 hdcp) but enjoy playing.  I am not willing to put out the money at this time as I am nearing retirement.  I will agree that on the finer courses I have played, it is nice to know that the greens are not bumpy, that people fix their ball marks and divots.  The remark about being behind high handicappers makes me wonder if it is only they that play slow.  I like to play at a quick pace, and have found that I have to wait on people ahead of me that tend to be better golfers because they have this ritual they go through before they hit, putt, or anything.  Stand behind the ball and take 3/4 swings.  Get up to the ball, take 4/5 swings.  Back away, step up to the ball, take 3/4 swings then hit the ball.  Maybe I would score better if I did all that, but I am aware of those behind me and try to keep play moving.  It is not only "high handicappers" that slow the game down.

Reading some of this makes me think that "high handicappers" have no place on a CC course or a Private Course.  Very few ever start their golf as beginners with single digit hdcp.

Golf Snobs Are Everywhere!!!!!!!!

I think you're right. I'm also a high handicap player and do not belong to a CC. By father-in-law belongs to 2 (he's a snow bird and spends half the year in FL), so I've been fortunate enough to be able to play some nice courses with him. I've never felt out of place as a hdcp at a CC. Like you, I play pretty fast. I think where it gets frustrating is when a hdcp is out there duffing at the ball and taking 6 to 7 strokes to hit the green of a par 4. What I do if it's looking bad is just pick up my ball and move on. So, yes, there are golf snobs everywhere, but I think the slow play and having guys and gals out there not taking the game seriously is what upsets a lot of the better players. Just my perspective.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

and at my club we are stuck behind the same low hc's every week that play like turtles.

I am the low in my group with a course HC of 22, the others are 26-28. Last week we had the some b itchy old ladies behind us that finally came storming up to us asking if there was anyone in front of us.

They ran off when we responded that we were waiting just like them.

usually you high hcpers slow everyone down because you spray your balls everywhere, take 2-3 shots to get out of traps, fourputt, take forever to look for lost balls, and always seem to have your ball retrievers out whenever near a water hazard

usually you high hcpers slow everyone down because you spray your balls everywhere, take 2-3 shots to get out of traps, fourputt, take forever to look for lost balls, and always seem to have your ball retrievers out whenever near a water hazard

posts like this show why you not only do not fit in private clubs, you likely do not fit in anywhere

Follow me on twitter

you can keep the CC membership - I've got my fill of good courses year round and wouldn't ever give the snobs the thousands of $$$ they want for their clubs

Most country clubs do not have snobby owners. If you play often, private clubs are worth the money. I can tee off any day of the week and play 18 holes in 3 hours. The greens, traps, tees, and fairways are always in excellent shape. I can work out, hit balls on a full length driving range with fairway-like hitting areas, and practice my putting and chipping for free.

You can't really vote for any of these reasons  they are all  stupid. I work a high end private club. No one has their nose in the air,looking to avoid high handicappers. 1.They have mostly done well enough in their lives and can afford to join a club that does not have 40-50,000 rounds of golf played each year. I think my club has 16-18,000 rounds.  2. easier to get a good tee time. 3.the  course is in much better shape that at your local muni. 4. most members could care about all the other amenities that are offered other than a really cold beer after the round 4. You will mostly always find a game with someone you know or plays to your level. 5. They are more likely to avoid *******s like the guy who posted those stupid answers!

You can't really vote for any of these reasons  they are all  stupid. I work a high end private club. No one has their nose in the air,looking to avoid high handicappers. 1.They have mostly done well enough in their lives and can afford to join a club that does not have 40-50,000 rounds of golf played each year. I think my club has 16-18,000 rounds.  2. easier to get a good tee time. 3.the  course is in much better shape that at your local muni. 4. most members could care about all the other amenities that are offered other than a really cold beer after the round 4. You will mostly always find a game with someone you know or plays to your level. 5. They are more likely to avoid *******s like the guy who posted those stupid answers!

do you get complaints that single digit hcpers are slow as has been posted here? doubt it.

do you get complaints that single digit hcpers are slow as has been posted here? doubt it.

Last time I checked, Loupe, Bradley and Na were pro's and I've never seen anyone player slower than them.

Your belief that high handicappers play slower is a fallacy.  High handicappers tend to play faster because we don't think we're better than we are.  We may mishit some balls, but we're pretty quick otherwise.   I've seen low handicappers play painfully slow because they play for money and act like they it's the Masters.

Joe Paradiso

No, this is the first I have seen of this post. I am just saying that the post was stupid and out of line. I don't have the time to read all the replies. Yes I know single digit players are also slow. The pro's are slow! I don't want to get into a pissing contest just backing up my membership!

you can keep the CC membership - I've got my fill of good courses year round and wouldn't ever give the snobs the thousands of $$$ they want for their clubs

I am guessing that I have played behind you on one of those public tracks and you were the dick that acted like he owned the place. There are some whiners at my club, but they pale in comparison with some of the arrogant a-holes that play the same public track every week at a discounted rate and think they are entitled to butler service while on the course.

Follow me on twitter

I am guessing that I have played behind you on one of those public tracks and you were the dick that acted like he owned the place.

There are some whiners at my club, but they pale in comparison with some of the arrogant a-holes that play the same public track every week at a discounted rate and think they are entitled to butler service while on the course.

Riverhills, huh? No impressed. Open to the public course you like to call "country club" they're always looking for members. Must be in dire straits.  I'm pretty sure I'd remember hitting into some idiot dressed in pink while hitting a yellow range ball with a gawd awful address position.

Riverhills, huh? No impressed. Open to the public course you like to call "country club" they're always looking for members. Must be in dire straits.  I'm pretty sure I'd remember hitting into some idiot dressed in pink while hitting a yellow range ball with a gawd awful address position.

Seldom right and wrong yet again little ricky, but you have shown that you never let the facts get in the way of your opinion

• Upvote 4

Follow me on twitter

amazes me why some people participate in internet forums - they must just have adversarial personalities and like to fight without contributing anything ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 2 weeks later...

Making general comments about country clubs or their members is a waste of time. It largely depends on where you live- in some parts of the country there are so many quality public options there's no need for a private club. In other parts, the public options may be terrible and full of hackers and joining a priavte club is the only way to enjoy the game for a somewhat 'serious' player. I have been a member at several and had the privelage of playing at some very nice clubs throughout my life and almost never have I come across any 'snobbish' attitude that some anti-CC folks tend to think is prevalent.

Was born poor. Pretty much a lefty when it comes to politics. Hate elitist.

But .... damn if I don't love going to my club where they make me feel like a million bucks. It's definitely my biggest guilty pleasure. No matter how many times I've told myself that I shouldn't love it.. well.. I just do.

Um... You ARE a high handicapper...

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!