Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lugonza_2001

Which ball to play under windy conditions

19 posts in this topic

Hello there,

this season seems the gods want me to play under windy conditions every time i go to the golf course. To put an example i'll tell you that my 5 iron carries the ball 165 yards in normal conditions; well, yesterday facing the wind my 5 iron would only carry the ball 110 yards.

I wonder if you have found a ball that performs better under windy conditions than the ball you would normally use when no wind on the course.

I usually play de Callaway Tour Ix.

Thanks a lot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Hi Lugonza,

This might not be much help but the reason I almost religiously use Pro v1 and x is because I feel they play so much better in the wind. To me, it is the major difference in the tour balls. I am sure there will be those that disagree but I have tried Penta, Callaway Hex, Srixon etc. They all spin around the green and feel good off the putter, but I trust the tittie in the wind more than any of them. BTW, I play on the east coast of Australia and 35 mph winds are pretty much standard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Pro V1X in the wind. A real sleeper is the Top Flight Gamer V2...seriously, just the right of spin to keep it low and hold the greens. I don't do well with Pro V1 as it gets too spinny and balloons a bit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I like the Pro V1X in the wind. A real sleeper is the Top Flight Gamer V2...seriously, just the right of spin to keep it low and hold the greens. I don't do well with Pro V1 as it gets too spinny and balloons a bit.

+1 for the Gamer V2.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to try the Gamer. I don't think we get them in Oz. The only TF balls are rocks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I have some Pro v1s at home so i will use them next time and see. I am not sure i can find the gamer V2 model here, but i will keep it in my mind as well.

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play in Hawaii, where 10-15 MPH is a calm day.  I've played just about every tour ball out there, and Penta is hands-down the best (for me) in the wind.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course is fairly windy most days. Balls I've found to work best are the Srixon Z-Star XV and Callaway Hex Black. Both hold the line pretty decently, I feel I get more out of the Srixon however, and as such play that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by k-troop

I play in Hawaii, where 10-15 MPH is a calm day.  I've played just about every tour ball out there, and Penta is hands-down the best (for me) in the wind.

This. I have dozens of 5 or 6 different kinds of balls (PentaTP, 20XI-S, ProV1, Penta TP5, Srixon Q and Z Stars, and Gamer V2's), and BY FAR, the ball i've found for boring into the wind is the original PentaTP. IMO, it is a better ball than the 2012 TP5 version in that respect, not that the 2012 is in any way bad. Second is the 20XI, which is every bit as good in the wind, but a little worse than my Penta's all around.

Another good ball in the wind is the Warbird. I don't know why, perhaps because its a distance ball, but my friend uses them, and they tend to fly low and hard into the wind.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TomK82

Bridgestone balls are great in the wind

+!. The dimple-in-dimple design seems to work and they hold their line well. The E6 is low spin and that helps too.

Callaway's HEX pattern is working for me in the wind too. Playing the HEX Chrome these days and find it a little higher flight then the Bridgestone RX, but still stays true in the wind when struck well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

+!. The dimple-in-dimple design seems to work and they hold their line well. The E6 is low spin and that helps too.

Callaway's HEX pattern is working for me in the wind too. Playing the HEX Chrome these days and find it a little higher flight then the Bridgestone RX, but still stays true in the wind when struck well.

I won 2nd flight in a tourney this year using a hex chrome and that ball was magical. Great ball just a hair out of my price range.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TomK82

I won 2nd flight in a tourney this year using a hex chrome and that ball was magical. Great ball just a hair out of my price range.

If "just a hair out" then consider eBay. I bought 2 dozen for under $56 total delivered. There were other deals to be had -- as low as $54 for 2 dozen. These are new in original packages without logos or other odd stuff.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top Flight. Have you ever thrown a rock in the wind? Doesn't budge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

If "just a hair out" then consider eBay. I bought 2 dozen for under $56 total delivered. There were other deals to be had -- as low as $54 for 2 dozen. These are new in original packages without logos or other odd stuff.

So YOU are the guy who keeps out bidding me!!  LOL  Just kidding..........     I've bought a few Hex Chromes on ebay and they can definitely be had there cheaper than any store......

The Hex Chrome is an awesome ball.   It just seems to rocket off the clubface.    Even with the deals on ebay though, I am currently playing the HX Diablo Tour as an everyday ball.   I get them from lostgolfballs.com for $12.99 a doz.    It's not quite the Chrome but it is a pretty darn good ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Learn how to keep the ball low and you can play any ball in the wind.

Only if you hit them with irons forged by samurai warriors.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Learn how to keep the ball low and you can play any ball in the wind.

This is true.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0