IGNORED

Are you a player or a practicer?

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a player or a practicer?

• Player
    • Practicer
    • Option C (Both)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Same here.  If I had my druthers (sp?) I would play all the time and practice at the range rarely.  But I don't, so the range at lunch a few times a week is all I get, plus a round a month or so.

EDIT:  I voted "player" because that's the kind of golfer I'd like to be.

I didn't vote but the fact that you are in the same boat and are a 10 is heartening.

I am going to vote now just for posterity's sake.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both. I wish I had more time to practice and play, but given a few hours I would rather practice.

Michael

I like this subject, I'm a big time player. I barely ever hit range balls and if I do it's only the driver. I have never practiced pitching, putting, sand, hybrid or irons. I just went right out to the course and tried my best lol. First game was 129 or 126 I forget, but with limited to no practice, I'm down to 92. I've been saving the heavy practice for when I notice my scores are no longer dropping.

Sincerely, Jim

About 50/50 for me.  I play 2-3 times a week and try to hit the range or practice green about the same.  I don't have time for more rounds.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I play......95%. Just no time and little interest in practicing unless I simply can't get out to play and it fills a need to swing a club when I otherwise couldn't. Prob one reason I'll never be all that good.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I end up being more of a practicer, mostly for the sake of money. It's much cheaper to go to the range for a bit, and that practice lets me get more out of the times I do play.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Forced to be more of a practicer this summer since my home course's greens are being redone.  The course won't open back up for regular play until the end of August.  Ususally by now, I'd have played just about every day for the past two weeks.  I typically play every day when I am out for the summer.  That being said, I still do practice on a fairly consistent basis but would certainly spend about 65 - 70 % of the time playing if I had a choice right now.

Right now with a 1 year old it's hard to get out and play, but I get to the range every chance I get.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I hate to practice.  I've always hated it.  My first year in college, our course was shut down for renovations.  We only had access to a few holes at one time.  We would travel to play other courses twice a week, but our daily practice regimen was balls, balls, and more balls.  I hated every miserable freaking minute of it.  I hated it so much that I quit golf after 3 semesters and didn't touch a club for 2 years.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I don't mind practicing, but if I had more time I would try to play.  I have young kids, so I find it easier to practice for an hour or two.  Also, when I need to work on my ball striking, I don't have a problem with practicing, but once I feel good about what I am working on, I will opt to play more.

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I don't mind practicing, but if I had more time I would try to play.  I have young kids, so I find it easier to practice for an hour or two.  Also, when I need to work on my ball striking, I don't have a problem with practicing, but once I feel good about what I am working on, I will opt to play more.

That's why I got a membership at a club where you can usually walk on during the evening. I've played holes 10-13 so many times this year (the 13th loops back to the clubhouse). I can also play the 14-18 loop, but 10 is a long iron tee shot par 4. 11 is a mid-iron tee shot par 4 (laying up over a gorge / valley). 12 is a mid-iron par 3 and 13 is a true driving hole par 4.  When I leave the 13th, I have to walk right past the practice green so I can do that for a few minutes.  On rare occasions I get time to play more holes, I'm already there. Win win.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Practicer. My worst usually comes out on the course and I don't feel comfortable on the course unless my practice routine feels comfortable. Right now I don't think that actually playing improves me much. It's good to do, but the bulk of my improvement happens on the range. Eventually, hopefully, the things I need to work on in my game will actually be things I need to play in order to practice, but I'm not quite there yet. I try to hit range balls two or three times a week. I play every other week.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Practice.  I hit a few hundred balls a week when I don't play, and I enjoy trying new things, changing my grip slightly, adjusting my stance, etc., to see what happens.  Last time out I shortened my backswing, and, understandably, I hit the ball more solidly than I had for a while.  Being able to affect changes on the range helps to put those changes into play on the course when different shots are needed.

Beyond all of that, I wish that I had the time to play more than I do.

I feel I have the potential to be a very good golfer. I don't mind practicing, but when it's 90-100 degrees outside it kinda sucks. When I play (usually with guys I work with) I keep mental notes of the shots. I've started keeping a "golf journal" as to record progress, what I did well, and areas I need to focus more on. Due to finances I can only play twice a week right now, but I have about 7 dozen balls I've picked up here and there and a big field by my house to practice in. (the field is about 130 yards across) I try to practice no less than 3 times a week. I'm also starting a "practice journal", taking notes on what my back swing and follow through are like with certain clubs at certain distances. "TO PLAY OR TO PRACTICE..." it's all golf to me and I love it....I would also like to say that one of my goals for next year is to play in more stroke play competitions. Here in Oklahoma there are certain "tours" you can get the in. Of course there are the entry fees. I would really like to be able to be a contender in our state am tournament...

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

I practice more often.  When I go out on the course, I'm worried about scoring rather than trying to implement any new swing changes.  As a result, I end up reverting back to an older swing when I'm on a course and it doesn't help me get better.

I'm playing at least five rounds/week right now, and this is what I usually do, time permitting: - Get to the course about an hour early, hit the range and see what I've brought to the course that day. If I'm hitting it a little longer/shorter than usual or if I'm hitting a particular shot shape with my stock swing, I don't tinker with anything, I just take that to the course. - After the round, I hit the practice facilities again. If I feel like I did something particularly well (aside from putting), I'll try to reinforce whatever that happened to be for a bit, then I'll start messing around with the things I felt were sub-standard for me during the round. If I could only play or practice, I'd play. I can't count how many times I've headed to the course for a practice session and ended up playing instead after a brief warm up. Years ago, I think I could've gotten pretty good if I'd split actual time between play and practice, but.......

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I'm a player.  I feel like you learn more about your swing while having to hit actual shots instead of just imagining them.  If my swing were totally off or something, I'd go to the range but other than that..I stay away.  I don't know how many times I've heard "I hit this club so well on the range" but they can't hit it on the course.  Big difference between having an actual target and distance to carry vs. a wide open area with no real boundaries.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!