IGNORED

The R&A needs to rethink The British Open course rotation

Note: This thread is 4280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My favorite of the majors is the British Open, but I'd like to see some different courses added to the "rotation" Royal Portrush--The Open has been played only once outside England or Scotland (Royal Portrush 1951). I'd say it's overdue for a return to N. Ireland If not Royal Portrush, then Royal County Down. Royal Porthcawl--spread the wealth some more. Wales has never hosted The Open Any others you all might want to see host the Open?

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by uttexas

My favorite of the majors is the British Open, but I'd like to see some different courses added to the "rotation"

Royal Portrush--The Open has been played only once outside England or Scotland (Royal Portrush 1951). I'd say it's overdue for a return to N. Ireland If not Royal Portrush, then Royal County Down.

Royal Porthcawl--spread the wealth some more. Wales has never hosted The Open

Any others you all might want to see host the Open?

I assume you're also going to lobby the USGA to ensure each of the 50 states gets a chance to host the US Open!?!? Certainly Hawaii and Alaska deserve a chance!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I assume you're also going to lobby the USGA to ensure each of the 50 states gets a chance to host the US Open!?!? Certainly Hawaii and Alaska deserve a chance!!!

The US Open should only be held in states with mid June average high temps less than 95 F

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

There's lots of great links courses but the infrastructure (hotels and getting to the courses mainly) will keep them off the rota.

Portrush is the next most likely, especially after the great crowds at the Irish Open last week, the players gushed about the course as well.

• Upvote 1

The US Open should only be held in states with mid June average high temps less than 95 F

Canada?  Er, wait...

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought Portrush looked waaaaay too easy to host an open.

I would like to see it played it N.I as well but I think RCD would be a much better option than Portrush.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Torry Pines, Peeble Beach & Carnoustie all play pretty easy for regular tour events, come major time its a whole different story. Also, the weather was virtually perfect on the last day causing lower scores.

Having said that I think they need to drop a course out if they are going to add one - maybe Hoylake?

Having said that I think they need to drop a course out if they are going to add one - maybe Hoylake?

agree, Hoylake would my choice also.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

That would rule out Torrey. I doubt they'd never go back to the longest U.S. Open course in history, and the host of the most exciting U.S. Open in a while.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

That would rule out Torrey. I doubt they'd never go back to the longest U.S. Open course in history, and the host of the most exciting U.S. Open in a while.

Why would that rule out Torrey?    June temperatures here in SD are actually a bit on the chilly side, usually low to high 60s along the coast.    I do wonder why the USGA seems against coming back to Torrey - it was an exciting open, had great crowds, the area has great infrastructure, and it was said to be a very profitable event for the USGA.

Why would that rule out Torrey?    June temperatures here in SD are actually a bit on the chilly side, usually low to high 60s along the coast.    I do wonder why the USGA seems against coming back to Torrey - it was an exciting open, had great crowds, the area has great infrastructure, and it was said to be a very profitable event for the USGA.

(As someone who has never been to San Diego, take everything I say about its weather with a grain of salt. :-D)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by SandersLongdriv

There is no major Open known as 'The British Open.'  There is however 'The Open,' otherwise known as 'The Open Championship.'

American hubris.

There is no major Open known as 'The British Open.'  There is however 'The Open,' otherwise known as 'The Open Championship.'

Oy. We've had threads upon threads about this.

In my bag:

Originally Posted by SandersLongdriv

I recall the "The British Open" being the generally accepted term for the first 30 years I watched golf on television. It's only been very recent that people religiously call it "The Open Championship" because it's their trademark and they're in the business of selling merchandise. Sure it's always been the name, but most media outlets still use "The British Open" because that's what it is.

Why bother putting in the word "Women's" when referring to Women's Briths Open if there isn't a corresponding men's version?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The Sand Trap community can get right to work on the British Open rotation as soon as the US unemployment rate is below 8% and the housing crisis stabilizes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

The Sand Trap community can get right to work on the British Open rotation as soon as the US unemployment rate is below 8% and the housing crisis stabilizes.

I'm not sure the point of your post but, the Sand Trap community is international.

when does Carnoustie host again?  Can't really complain about their last two Opens.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Note: This thread is 4280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!