IGNORED

Is it really an eagle?

evan01
Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by evan01

OK here are the stats on the hole.     Blue  508/white 482/gold 360. It's a blind big up hill drive then over a creek to a raised green.  Thanks for all the replies! I will take the eagle and hopefully it will grow into a big eagle someday.  Oh yea Buckeye nut you are tuff on the eagle rookie. Bet you don't give many putts!

yea....no gimmes!!

Seriously though..... making a 3 on a 360yd par5......um?    It's cool that you made a 3........but a 360yd hole is a 3-wood from the tee and sand wedge approach for many people.  I'm not trying to bust your chops, but we need to be realistic.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was leaning more towards the eagle is an eagle side until I saw that distance. There's no way I could say I had an eagle on a 360 yard par five with a straight face.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Sorry, 360 yards is a clear par 4 for men.

Still, as you collect eagles you can count that one.  You did it in a tournament when the field was playing it as a par 5.  Until you get your second eagle though, you will always have an asterisk on the "have you ever made an eagle" question.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Yes folks that is how I feel. I play to a 11 handicap and most of the fellas play18 and up. They will take it all day long. I will not be talking to much in the club house about the mini Eagle. Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok so whats the minimum distance a par 4 must be before it can be considered a legit eagle hole?

Also what about the distance for a par 5?

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Ok so whats the minimum distance a par 4 must be before it can be considered a legit eagle hole?

Also what about the distance for a par 5?

It really depends on the hole and the conditions........par4?.....If it's a piece of crap wide-open muni.......that's 1 thing.  if it's Olympic club #7, it's another.  Miss the green and you make 5 or six!

In this modern era of 500yd par 4's......I can't imagine a legit par5 eagle being on a hole much shorter than 500yds.  If there is insane topography that requires a player to lay far back....maybe the hole can be a bit shorter. Definitely not 360............LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by evan01

I will take the eagle and hopefully it will grow into a big eagle someday.

Keep nourishing your game and I'm sure it will! Haha! Yeah, Buckeyenut is a little rough on the short eagles and such, hopefully he realizes I was just giving him a little crap yesterday. I would sh*t if I came to a par 3 and it was 230 yds!

I once made "eagle" on a 412-yard par 5 at an executive-length course. I pushed my drive left, hacked out to 20 yards short of the green, then chipped in. It was a nice scrambling birdie, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking it was a real eagle.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

As long as you are not the guy determining what the par is like this guy http://thesandtrap.com/t/60254/anyone-make-a-double-eagle-albatross-and-not-a-hole-in-one#post_740922 , then I would say minimum distance for it to be considered an eagle is 451 on a par 5 and 251 on a par 4, but would say that in most cases I would like to see it in the 475-500 range and at least 270 for a par 4.

What do you guys think the minimum distance would be for a legit hole and one?   I ask because I was playing yesterday at Keystone where they have set up some beginner/Junior tees that are mostly just somewhere on the fairway around 150-175 yards from the green with some adjustments to take away any forced carrries.  #12 is a down hill par 3 that measures 120-171 with mostly no-mans land up until about 15 yards from the green.  The beginner tees were about 10 yards short of the green with mowed fairway that could be putted from...with an up pin, you could make a 16 yard hole in one!

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

It really depends on the hole and the conditions........par4?.....If it's a piece of crap wide-open muni.......that's 1 thing.  if it's Olympic club #7, it's another.  Miss the green and you make 5 or six!

In this modern era of 500yd par 4's......I can't imagine a legit par5 eagle being on a hole much shorter than 500yds.  If there is insane topography that requires a player to lay far back....maybe the hole can be a bit shorter. Definitely not 360............LOL

what about for the guy that drives 220. i assume it would have to be an eagle worthy hole for him. i consider myself long compared to my buddies, and getting on in 2 at 500 yards is a damn lucky great day making shot for me

I would think it has to be counted as an eagle if you are playing from the minimum set of tees that are appropriate for your game, and distance.

I sometimes play with seniors who prefer to play from forward or senior tees, and that's not a true test of your game.  But it's nicer to be right with people you are playing with sometimes.

The course rating/slope should give you an indication of how you played, although bad shots still hurt you.  You have to make the shot but in  a lot of cases the reduced distance gives you some percentage more leeway for mis-hits..   But if you shot 5 strokes lower from more forward tees, you should consider it scaled back from if you shot that from normal tees.

Driver:  TaylorMade Burner 9.5 degree R Flex

3-Wood:  TaylorMade RocketBallz 15 Stiff flex

Hybrid:  Cobra Baffler 19 degree

Irons:  Cobra S2 irons  4-PW

Wedges:  52.08 Hogan, 56.14 Vokey and 60.07 Vokey

Putter:  1967 Muirfield Blade putter

• 1 year later...
I would say it would be dependent on how far you drive it on average... if your hitting a sand wedge or lob wedge for your second shot... par 4... you hit driver, hybrid... yeah why not lets call it an eagle... my first eagle came was I was 15... same year I made a double-eagle... on the 7th hole at Afton...lol had 8-iron for my second shot from about 170... I had two in the same round at the league championship that year I shot 86... (three blow up holes)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I wouldn't call this a legit eagle, the hole should be a par 4. Isn't a par what a scratch player normally scores? Scratch would make 4 all the time.

I have a par 5 on my course, only 450, but it plays slightly up hill, it's got a 30 yards deep lake before the green and it's often against the wind, so it's tough to make the green in two, making it a 5.

Sorry no eagle. I made an eagle on a 410y par4, so this was an albatros? Made twice a birdie on a 230y par3, so they were eagles? Best to play from the rabbit-tees, lots of eagles, albatrosses and condors on your path. Maybe a hole in one on a 300y par 6!

Sorry no eagle.

I made an eagle on a 410y par4, so this was an albatros?

Made twice a birdie on a 230y par3, so they were eagles?

Best to play from the rabbit-tees, lots of eagles, albatrosses and condors on your path. Maybe a hole in one on a 300y par 6!

He's not calling the hole a par 5 of his own accord, the course had it marked as a par 5. By the scorecard it was an eagle. Would I feel like I made an eagle, no, but then neither does he. That doesn't change the fact that by the scorecard what he had was an eagle.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

He's not calling the hole a par 5 of his own accord, the course had it marked as a par 5. By the scorecard it was an eagle. Would I feel like I made an eagle, no, but then neither does he. That doesn't change the fact that by the scorecard what he had was an eagle.

While that is possible I think it is more likely the tees were only rated for women and if they had both women and men ratings the par would appear on the scorecard as 5/4, at least that is fairly common here when forward tees on holes this short have both ratings.

In any case regarding distances (my emphasis added):

Yardages for guidance in computing par are given below. The effective playing length of a hole for the scratch golfer determines par. (See Section 13-3b.) These yardages may not be applied arbitrarily; the configuration of the ground and the severity of the obstacles should be taken into consideration.

Authorized golf associations are empowered to adjudicate questions of hole par. (See Decision 16/1.)

Mike

While that is possible I think it is more likely the tees were only rated for women and if they had both women and men ratings the par would appear on the scorecard as 5/4, at least that is fairly common here when forward tees on holes this short have both ratings.

In any case regarding distances (my emphasis added):

I understand what you are saying, but if you play a course and it has the par stated on the card that doesn't match those numbers do you change what the card says? Do you go into the clubhouse afterwords and tell them it's wrong? I'm not arguing that the hole is crazy short for a par 5, that much is obvious. If I were to talk about getting an eagle on this hole I'd qualify it by saying "but it was only 360 yards so it was basically a birdie on a par 4 anywhere else". The guy was just asking if it should count as an eagle, which I do just for the fact that the course said it is.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!