IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You must have never played on a Sim.

You hit your REAL clubs into your REAL balls into a $40,000 state of the art sim that has 2 sets of 360 lasers to read ball speed and launch angle.  1 Set reads ball spin while the screen also reads ball spin and angle, plus it takes into account the angle the ball comes off the screen.  It is SUPER accurate.  It has actually shown me all my club distance that I use on the course, and they are spot on (Save my PW for some odd reason, I think it is because i hit the roof before the screen with the PW)

Also,  the sims i play on use the same laser contractor that our national missile defense system uses. So if you don't trust them, well.... your kinda screwed... (USA btw)

I'm about to head out now to the real course, so maybe ill get a vid of a real course swing for yall.  Just kinda hard to prove where the ball went with and iPhone videoing my ball going 300+.

On the SIM i get a ball speed read out, launch angle, carry, and total distance.

Originally Posted by B-Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Why?  The majority of people here know exactly how a person can hit the ball just by watching their swing.

A swing on a simulator isn't the same as a swing on a real course. If you're not hitting a real ball at a real target, you can modify your swing without even realizing it. Even a swing on a driving range isn't perfect, but it's better than on a simulator.

I'm not suggesting that guy was right with his sim distances, but you're certainly wrong about playing golf with a simulator. You do hit a real ball with a real club and if the system is properly calibrated (a big if) then it's pretty accurate. If hitting into a screen was such a poor representation of a person's swing, then hitting a ball into a net must virtually useless, right?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm not suggesting that guy was right with his sim distances, but you're certainly wrong about playing golf with a simulator. You do hit a real ball with a real club and if the system is properly calibrated (a big if) then it's pretty accurate. If hitting into a screen was such a poor representation of a person's swing, then hitting a ball into a net must virtually useless, right?

Some sims are off bad. The ones that are never calibrated.  The sim at Edwin Watts was telling me I was hitting my Burner 2.0 375 yards,  I was like, NO this is not right.

I think they tweak sims at retail stores to get you to buy clubs when you see OMG 300.

The sims here are on a 10 year plan 4x a year..  He has 4 in his bar and I play on each as avaliable.  They all read the same give or take 3 yards.

For your viewing pleasure, Ill hit one in each sim if they are open to reassure the SUPER ANTI EVERYTHING people on here.

Didn't know it would be this much fuss over a sim..... Its like " hey ill prove it to you " other person  " Ok, but you can't blah, blah, blah and you cheated blah blah blah".  Just chill and post you own video so you get the flip side of it.

Originally Posted by Darksun22

Any other funny long drive stories?

I was playing in a charity event at Cimmaron Hills, thought I had the long drive competition in the bag.  Nope.  Every guy there got outdriven by a lady.  True story.  Turns out she was a female long-drive competitor.  Talk about getting played.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Why hasn't there been any talk about perfect contact? There's probably slim to no chance he's hitting the center of the face... I have a pretty fast swing speed, but i hit it all I over the club face. My smash factor is usually 1.35, with a SS of 120+...terribly inefficient

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 3PuttKing

Lol nope. I hope you weren't actually expecting them....

A trackman fitting was $130 at the place I went to last week.  Kinda unreasonable to expect somebody to just fork over that kinda money within 24 hours of an internet challenge.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I was playing in a charity event at Cimmaron Hills, thought I had the long drive competition in the bag.  Nope.  Every guy there got outdriven by a lady.  True story.  Turns out she was a female long-drive competitor.  Talk about getting played.

I saw a female long-drive competitor at the range I go to about 2 months ago.  Man could she crush it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Roblar

Have I missed the trackman stats somewhere?

He said next week last saturday or friday so give it a few more days.

I'm not sure it even matters at this point. He's already posted a vid of himself swinging hard and it's been determined he's getting decent speed. I don't think he has anything to gain considering he's admitted to accomplish that he has to go after it in way he wouldn't usually on the course. He should have titled his thread a little different and he wouldn't have caught any flak. If he had said I can hit it 300+ plus on the range when I drop a nut, leave a skid mark and flail at it Happy Gilmore style people would have believed him. I'm not saying he intentionally mislead anyone just that it wasn't clear what he meant. The last vids he posted pretty much cleared that up. There isn't any reason to doubt him now. With some practice and tightening up that swing he's going to hit it far regularly. Dude is already close to breaking 90 after just 20 or so rounds, he's off to a great start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave :-)

While I understand the need to be a decent driver, I dont understand the need to brag about it. Being able to drive the ball 300 yards (and most of those who can do it, spray it all over) is nowhere near as impressive as being able to nail an iron within 5 yards of your target.

My average good drive is 250-260 yards of carry, thats is a nice, comfortable swing. I can swing 'out of my shoes', and put it much further. But then I have zero accuracy, and have to hope it lands in the fairway and light rough. There is nothing impressive about spraying balls all over the course. I'd rather be well set for a good second shot from 140 yards, than from high rough or in the woods at 100 yards.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Look guys.... It's easy to explain how Jimbo is hitting these 300yd drives.  He's mastered the art of hitting a flyer with the driver. Impact high off the face to maximize his launch angle and minimize his spin.  Explains his 300+yd slices all day.

Originally Posted by onesome

He said next week last saturday or friday so give it a few more days.

So while we wait for his trackman stats to arrive... I figured some of you in here would be interested to know I putted the ball 225 straight over the green, over 2 bunkers, around a golf cart and smack in the middle of the fairway 3 holes down... true story. I'm averaging 215 yards per putt over the last 3 weeks. If you like, I'll post a video of this tremendous feat. Matter of fact, we can get a representative from the philly area to go to the local pitch n putt with me and i'll bet the title on my apartment I can make a 225 yard putt within 600 balls or so.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Any one who claim to drive over 300 yrds have to qualify their post with their swing videos!  Otherwise, their post will be deleted !

Originally Posted by KaiL

Any one who claim to drive over 300 yrds have to qualify their post with their swing videos!  Otherwise, their post will be deleted !

Sounds great, but how about we make it so that anyone claiming to make any type of shot other than a total flub has to post a swing or shut up.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Since this entire thread has gone somewhere conveniently tucked in a hand basket, can someone please explain "smash factor" to me? I saw my stats when testing out a G20 the other day (any opinions on that club would be much appreciated, by the way. I'm thinking about buying that, replacing my Nike STR8-FIT Black Square. My Nike is 9.5 regular flex, and the Ping is 9.5 Stiff with a shortened Project X 6.0) and got all my stats, and the only one I was unclear on was the smash factor. It was about 1.4ish if I remember correctly; swing speed was usually about 105 to 110 max. Thanks!

Originally Posted by colin007

Why hasn't there been any talk about perfect contact? There's probably slim to no chance he's hitting the center of the face...

I have a pretty fast swing speed, but i hit it all I over the club face. My smash factor is usually 1.35, with a SS of 120+...terribly inefficient

Originally Posted by Jwat381

Since this entire thread has gone somewhere conveniently tucked in a hand basket, can someone please explain "smash factor" to me? I saw my stats when testing out a G20 the other day (any opinions on that club would be much appreciated, by the way. I'm thinking about buying that, replacing my Nike STR8-FIT Black Square. My Nike is 9.5 regular flex, and the Ping is 9.5 Stiff with a shortened Project X 6.0) and got all my stats, and the only one I was unclear on was the smash factor. It was about 1.4ish if I remember correctly; swing speed was usually about 105 to 110 max. Thanks!

Smash Factor is simply (Ball Speed / Club Head Speed).   So if you are 1.4ish with a swing speed of 105mph... Then your Ball Speed should be 147mph-ish+.  If you are swinging 105 to 110 and only getting 1.4ish... Then you most likely aren't hitting the sweet spot - or suffering from off center hits.

• Upvote 1

What is a good smash factor then? I was testing a club I wasn't used to, but I felt most of my shots were pretty close to the center, except for a few errant crazies when I was trying to work the ball a lot for the sake of testing the club. Thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Smash Factor is simply (Ball Speed / Club Head Speed).   So if you are 1.4ish with a swing speed of 105mph... Then your Ball Speed should be 147mph-ish+.  If you are swinging 105 to 110 and only getting 1.4ish... Then you most likely aren't hitting the sweet spot - or suffering from off center hits.

Originally Posted by Jwat381

What is a good smash factor then? I was testing a club I wasn't used to, but I felt most of my shots were pretty close to the center, except for a few errant crazies when I was trying to work the ball a lot for the sake of testing the club. Thanks for the explanation.

The highest smash factor that I've heard on record is 1.54.  The goal should be 1.5 - especially with your stated swing speed.  It is one thing to concentrate on Smash Factor - but you should also monitor your Angle of Attack.  Check this out - if you really want to maximize your distance off the tee.  You can see having an 'ascending' or positive Angle of Attack is what is going to increase your distance off the tee.

Go watch some videos of Andrew Rice (Youtube)... He uses Trackman and has some great advice on how to maximize your distance off the tee.

trackman - driver fitting chart.png

Wow, that's really impressive. Is that essentially "hitting up on the ball" as it's referred to?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The highest smash factor that I've heard on record is 1.54.  The goal should be 1.5 - especially with your stated swing speed.  It is one thing to concentrate on Smash Factor - but you should also monitor your Angle of Attack.  Check this out - if you really want to maximize your distance off the tee.  You can see having an 'ascending' or positive Angle of Attack is what is going to increase your distance off the tee.

Go watch some videos of Andrew Rice (Youtube)... He uses Trackman and has some great advice on how to maximize your distance off the tee.

Note: This thread is 4236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!