IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just give this guy kickstarter of the month right now :-D Good point about Vegas, sacm3bill. Makes it more likely. At this point though, I'd like to see the swing. Everyone agree on that? I'm not calling him a liar or giving him a cyber high five until then :-P

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Just give this guy kickstarter of the month right now

Good point about Vegas, sacm3bill. Makes it more likely.

At this point though, I'd like to see the swing. Everyone agree on that? I'm not calling him a liar or giving him a cyber high five until then

I'll settle for a Trackman readout as well.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I'm for sure not bragging, or looking for any type of attention. I just reached a golfing goal, was very proud of my achievment and posted about it in a thread or two. After posting, I was attacked and called names by multiple people and tried to defend myself. The debate in those post where getting long and drawn out so I started a new post about it here. Again the post seems slight productive to me and I rather enjoy everything I've read so far.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Do you mean like you're being over in one of the "scramble" threads?

I am the one being rude.  I am being attacked by five different guys because I said I don't like taking mulligans.  Why don't you grab a bat and join in, genius.

I think the issue is the extremely offensive words you choose to use. In this thread you claim to never post anything you wouldn't say to someone's face. Is that true?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I'm for sure not bragging, or looking for any type of attention. I just reached a golfing goal, was very proud of my achievment and posted about it in a thread or two. After posting, I was attacked and called names by multiple people and tried to defend myself. The debate in those post where getting long and drawn out so I started a new post about it here. Again the post seems slight productive to me and I rather enjoy everything I've read so far.

Is your next goal to spin a wedge back off the front of a green into a sand trap?

I think the issue is the extremely offensive words you choose to use. In this thread you claim to never post anything you wouldn't say to someone's face. Is that true?

If you and five friends walked up to me and started attacking me, yes, I would not have a problem calling you an "extremely offensive word" as you say.

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

Quote:

If you and five friends walked up to me and started attacking me, yes, I would not have a problem calling you an "extremely offensive word" as you say.

I don't recall attacking you personally before you suggested that I (among others) led a miserable life because I too had doubts about this OP's driving stats. Do you ever play Nintendo Wii? Switch games after playing for awhile and the system puts up a message on the screen with a picture of outside and it suggests taking a break.  If thesandtrap.com had that feature, it would be popping up on your screen right about . . . . . now

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Is your next goal to spin a wedge back off the front of a green into a sand trap?

Precisely! Next we'll be hearing about a goal of trying to hit a 175 yard pitching wedge!

All joking aside - 300 is impressive for a beginning golfer, whether it happened 1 time or 100 times. However, setting goals related to distance is pointless.

We'd love to hear about your 1st par, birdie, eagle, hole-out from a bunker, 50-foot putt, breaking 50 for 9, 100 for 18, etc....these are tangible results that show improvement.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap. I've been called a few names and would like to continue any conversations/debates with doubters or believers in this thread, instead of continuing in the other ones.

Any input good or bad is very welcome. Cheers

Just post your swing (or is it already posted?).  It would be pretty easy to tell if you have the ability to hit it that far or not.  Hitting a drive 300+ isn't just as simple as having a fast club head speed, which is what a lot of people think.

There are really a few different category of the "300 yard boasters":

1) Guys who claim to average 300+

2) Guy who claim to hit it 300 on their best drives

3) Guys who claim they hit it 300 yards, but it's 150 yards off target (often followed by a "LOL").

Often when threads about driving distance are created, posters tend to argue against the guy in #1.  However, I haven't seen somebody claim to be #1 in a long time.  #2 I could really care less about.  What does it matter that you can hit it a long way 1 out of 15 times?  Number 3 is the one that tends to agitate me.  Do people even understand how far you have to hit it, to hit it 300 yards in total distance from the tee and 150 yards offline?  High handicappers with good swing speed or flexibility don't hit it 300 yards and 50 offline on their bad hits.  They hit them 175 yards out and 50 yards offline...and think it's 300.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Shoot I drive it 300 yards at least once a round. On this hard dogleg left, a 373 yard hole I routinely hit it 60-70 yards from middle green.
  • Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

This is why:

http://www.golf.com/instruction/quest-300?page=1

I sometimes get confused around here for somebody who thinks that *nobody* can hit it 300 but that simply isn't true.  I know many of the low single digit and plus cappers can.  I highly doubt a high handicapper can do it.  My reasoning is . . you need a very high swing speed *as well as* great mechanics to hit it 300 (like carry 290 . .I'm not talking about a long roll down a hard fairway).

If you have these great mechanics and you're driving 300 then there is no way you can be a 20 handicap.  On most par4's you're landing the bal 20 yards from the green and you have 3 chances from there for par.  You could be the worst putter in the world and still be a high single digit.

I tend to agree with this.  I've played with several golfers who hit 300 easily with a driver and they've got the short game to back it up and maintain a low handicap.   And I have personally witnessed, along with 4 other players, a drive of 426 yards from our club's long drive champion.  (granted it was from an elevated tee box, to a downhill fairway, with a strong lake wind behind the ball, that rolled over the green and ended up behind a 420 yard par 4 green)

But that guy was also not only the long drive champ, he was a scratch golfer.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Just give this guy kickstarter of the month right now

Good point about Vegas, sacm3bill. Makes it more likely.

At this point though, I'd like to see the swing. Everyone agree on that? I'm not calling him a liar or giving him a cyber high five until then

Here is my swing LINK . The bottom swing is about 95 mph ss and that particular drive went about 270 yards, I measured it. I now for sure have a 105 average swing speed now on the same effort swing. When I first started I went into dicks and hit about 20 balls with my driver and got my estimated SS of 93mph. Now my swingspeed is about 105 average and my fasted ss I recorded at Dicks was 109. These are all average swings. I do swing slightly harder on the course when trying to get a little extra distance. My swing has also improved a bit since then. Now I don't lift my heal on my swing, added some lag and straightened my arms out a bit.

I go to Dicks about every two weeks and hit about 20 balls with my driver to test my SS.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Just post your swing (or is it already posted?).  It would be pretty easy to tell if you have the ability to hit it that far or not.  Hitting a drive 300+ isn't just as simple as having a fast club head speed, which is what a lot of people think.

There are really a few different category of the "300 yard boasters":

1) Guys who claim to average 300+

2) Guy who claim to hit it 300 on their best drives

3) Guys who claim they hit it 300 yards, but it's 150 yards off target (often followed by a "LOL").

Often when threads about driving distance are created, posters tend to argue against the guy in #1.  However, I haven't seen somebody claim to be #1 in a long time.  #2 I could really care less about.  What does it matter that you can hit it a long way 1 out of 15 times?  Number 3 is the one that tends to agitate me.  Do people even understand how far you have to hit it, to hit it 300 yards in total distance from the tee and 150 yards offline?  High handicappers with good swing speed or flexibility don't hit it 300 yards and 50 offline on their bad hits.  They hit them 175 yards out and 50 yards offline...and think it's 300.

I am definitely #2 even though I don't think I have ever commented on my drives except on this thread.  I don't think you can get close to your maximum distance if your ball is 150 yards off line.  For me everything has to be close to perfect for me to get a ball close to 300 yards out.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Here is my swing LINK. The bottom swing is about 95 mph ss and that particular drive went about 270 yards, I measured it. I now for sure have a 105 average swing speed now on the same effort swing. When I first started I went into dicks and hit about 20 balls with my driver and got my estimated SS of 93mph. Now my swingspeed is about 105 average and my fasted ss I recorded at Dicks was 109. These are all average swings. I do swing slightly harder on the course.

I go to Dicks about every two weeks and hit about 20 balls with my driver to test my SS.

Ball Speed Launch Angle

Back Spin (rpm's)

Carry Distance
170 mph 11.5-15.5+* 2000-2400 289 yards
160 mph 12-16+* 2200-2650 271 yards
150 mph 13-16.5+* 2300-2800 252 yards
140 mph 14-17+* 2350-2950 233 yards
130 mph 14.5-17* 2400-3100 215 yards
120 mph 15-17* 2500-3300 196 yards

95 mph of clubhead speed probably results in a ball speed of 140 to 145 mph.  Under perfect launch conditions you would carry the ball 240 yards (approx).  You must be doing one of the following things:

A) Cutting the corners on doglegs and not realizing this considerably shortens the hole

B) Playing with serious tailwinds, on steeply downhill holes, or both

C) Exaggerating your distance

This is physics here.  I'm not making this stuff up.

I am what most would consider an "avid" golfer.  I probably average 50 rounds per year, and have been playing with this consistency now for a little more than 10 years.  I'm now 38 years old.  I'm "medium long" compared to the good players I generally compete with.  I cannot count the number of times I have talked to guys who have claimed they were driving the ball 300+ yards (i.e. "Dude I just played on Wednesday, and I was crushing the driver!").

In my playing "career" I have had the opportunity to play with many of these guys after their having told me how great they are hitting it.  In nearly every case (not every), they were exaggerating their abilities by 20% or more (300 yds X 20% is 60 yards for you English majors).

It's not that I don't believe you "can" drive the ball 300+ yards.  But you should understand, this claim is so frequently made by guys with no real understanding of what "averaging 300 yards off the tee" means, I'm predjudiced to expect you're full of it.  Please don't take offense.

One time in Vegas I was playing with some buddies of mine (several years ago, and I can't even remember the course).  We were playing in the afternoon, late spring time, and it was hot and windy.  One of the holes we played was a downhill Par 5, which played with 20+ mph winds at our back.  The tee box was elevated, with a hazard directly in front of the tee box that required a carry of about 230 to clear a grassy mound, after which the fairway sloped strongly downhill toward the hole (invisible from the tee box).  The hole itself measured 550 yards from the tee we used.  I hit an absolute missile, dead nuts straight, clearing the hazard and the knob easily.  My friends teed off, and as we drove our carts up to the knob to find our balls...I couldn't see my ball anywhere.  I knew I'd hit it dead straight, so there was no way it could have been lost, but for the life of me I couldn't see it...until we had driven to my playing partners tee shots.  I was just inside the 100 yard marker.

That doesn't mean I tell people I can hit the ball 450 yards, although I did do it once.

Mr. 3 Wiggle is right:  don't take any of this personally.  If you're knocking it out there 300+, don't mind the critics, just work on your short game.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by mad max

I am definitely #2 even though I don't think I have ever commented on my drives except on this thread.  I don't think you can get close to your maximum distance if your ball is 150 yards off line.  For me everything has to be close to perfect for me to get a ball close to 300 yards out.

its really hard to hit a bal 150 yard offline? When I was first starting I did have a legit 80 Yard slice at times. But even on those bad slices I could produce long shots sometimes. Some of my long drives have been no where near the fairway, but not 150 yards away from center lol. 80 at most. Now my worst slices even when swinging for the fences are more like 40-50 yards off the fairway center line. I might hit 3 or 4 fairways a round, sometimes 2 lol

Sincerely, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post

Here is my swing LINK . The bottom swing is about 95 mph ss and that particular drive went about 270 yards, I measured it. I now for sure have a 105 average swing speed now on the same effort swing. When I first started I went into dicks and hit about 20 balls with my driver and got my estimated SS of 93mph. Now my swingspeed is about 105 average and my fasted ss I recorded at Dicks was 109. These are all average swings. I do swing slightly harder on the course.

Ball Speed Launch Angle

Back Spin (rpm's)

Carry Distance
170 mph 11.5-15.5+* 2000-2400 289 yards
160 mph 12-16+* 2200-2650 271 yards
150 mph 13-16.5+* 2300-2800 252 yards
140 mph 14-17+* 2350-2950 233 yards
130 mph 14.5-17* 2400-3100 215 yards
120 mph 15-17* 2500-3300 196 yards

95 mph of clubhead speed probably results in a ball speed of 140 to 145 mph.  Under perfect launch conditions you would carry the ball 240 yards (approx).  You must be doing one of the following things:

A) Cutting the corners on doglegs and not realizing this considerably shortens the hole

B) Playing with serious tailwinds, on steeply downhill holes, or both

C) Exaggerating your distance

This is physics here.  I'm not making this stuff up.

So you are saying I don't drive it 300+?

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

So you are saying I don't drive it 300+?

LOL

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!