IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just happened to pause the FedEx Playoff event today while Louie Oost... was driving it over the green on a par 4. TaylorMade Tech Center had his numbers as follows:

Club Speed: 114

Ball Speed: 170

Carry 286

It rolled/bounced past pin-high which was listed as 306 yards.  I believe that's a smash factor of 1.49.  As far as I know Louie is not considered a short hitter by any means.

I just thought it was interesting.  It seems like anything above 105 for club speed is pretty good.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

[quote name="bplewis24" url="/t/60345/why-is-it-unbelievable-i-can-drive-300/936#post_764621"]I just happened to pause the FedEx Playoff event today while Louie Oost... was driving it over the green on a par 4. TaylorMade Tech Center had his numbers as follows: Club Speed: 114 Ball Speed: 170 Carry 286 It rolled/bounced past pin-high which was listed as 306 yards.  I believe that's a smash factor of 1.49.  As far as I know Louie is not considered a short hitter by any means.  I just thought it was interesting.  It seems like anything above 105 for club speed is pretty good. [/quote/] His club speed is 114 not 105. Some of us amateurs have a 105 speed (or an amazing beginner like Jimbo with a 115), but that's pretty much maxed out for me at 85% or so, but I can't help but think that these professionals can control a 65% or 70% swing effort and still get a swing speed of 105. I was on the range yesterday with another amateur, and he hit his balls well beyond 250 yards with a driver. He stated that he hits regularily 290. The trajectory where I lost sight of the ball was flat and penetrating. That and the fact that he hit my right handed 7 iron about 200 yards was a sight to look at. His handicap is from 5 to 15 ( not sure what that means), but he hit pretty well. He also said that he had just started controlling his swing at lower swing speeds, with consistency. This means that he can effortlessly hit 240 whenever he wants. This is my carry distance maxed out. So, he showed me different effort levels and proceeded to hit flags (close to them), on the driving range. I am guessing that game pressure probably keeps him from scratch, because it wasn't his ball striking. By the way, the person next to him, was hitting irons to the visible horizon. Most likely to where he was aiming. So, this is not an isolated case of really amazing ball striking around here. However, I can't image that a professional who trains and hits 8 to 10 hours a day, and plays a course every day could not have even more control over the ball. I am sure their hitting distances are somewhat by choice, and not by a physical limitation. I think that a pro is most likely being able to control the trajectory at a slower 105 to 115 swing speed, and hit it where he wants to under a great deal of mental pressure. So, yes a controlled swing speed of 105 was pretty amazing to watch, but even this person who did it was not a scratch golfer, yet.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

His club speed is 114 not 105.
Some of us amateurs have a 105 speed (or an amazing beginner like Jimbo with a 115), but that's pretty much maxed out for me at 85% or so, but I can't help but think that these professionals can control a 65% or 70% swing effort and still get a swing speed of 105.
I was on the range yesterday with another amateur, and he hit his balls well beyond 250 yards with a driver. He stated that he hits regularily 290. The trajectory where I lost sight of the ball was flat and penetrating. That and the fact that he hit my right handed 7 iron about 200 yards was a sight to look at. His handicap is from 5 to 15 ( not sure what that means), but he hit pretty well.
He also said that he had just started controlling his swing at lower swing speeds, with consistency. This means that he can effortlessly hit 240 whenever he wants. This is my carry distance maxed out. So, he showed me different effort levels and proceeded to hit flags (close to them), on the driving range. I am guessing that game pressure probably keeps him from scratch, because it wasn't his ball striking.
By the way, the person next to him, was hitting irons to the visible horizon. Most likely to where he was aiming. So, this is not an isolated case of really amazing ball striking around here.
However, I can't image that a professional who trains and hits 8 to 10 hours a day, and plays a course every day could not have even more control over the ball. I am sure their hitting distances are somewhat by choice, and not by a physical limitation. I think that a pro is most likely being able to control the trajectory at a slower 105 to 115 swing speed, and hit it where he wants to under a great deal of mental pressure.
So, yes a controlled swing speed of 105 was pretty amazing to watch, but even this person who did it was not a scratch golfer, yet.

I know he is 114 and not 105.  My point is that he's not a short hitter.  I've heard that Furyk is around a 105-107 (not sure if that's true or not) and of course he's one of the shorter hitters on tour. However he would have plenty of distance with a bunch of amateurs.  And I have no doubts that these are "controlled" swing speeds and not necessarily "going after it on a launch monitor" swing speeds.

Later on in the broadcast, Bubba, DJ and Tiger recorded the following:

Bubba: 124, 179 ball speed, 289 carry

DJ: 123, 180 ball speed, 290 carry

TW: 120, don't recall, 276 (it was a weak drive pulled into the left rough).

I saw that hole. 18th.  Bubba and DJ.. those were some ridiculous hits.

As a 95mph SS.. that just had me in my seat laughing in amazement.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

I saw that hole. 18th.  Bubba and DJ.. those were some ridiculous hits.

As a 95mph SS.. that just had me in my seat laughing in amazement.

I'm not sure which was more impressive.  DJ's seemed more controlled, but the way Bubba really went after his was pretty fun to see.  Of course, even though he outdrove DJ by a few yards on seemingly each hole, DJ outplayed him by a lot.

I know he is 114 and not 105.  My point is that he's not a short hitter.  I've heard that Furyk is around a 105-107 (not sure if that's true or not) and of course he's one of the shorter hitters on tour. However he would have plenty of distance with a bunch of amateurs.  And I have no doubts that these are "controlled" swing speeds and not necessarily "going after it on a launch monitor" swing speeds. Later on in the broadcast, Bubba, DJ and Tiger recorded the following: Bubba: 124, 179 ball speed, 289 carry DJ: 123, 180 ball speed, 290 carry TW: 120, don't recall, 276 (it was a weak drive pulled into the left rough).

Yes, I am sure that watching any pro is really impressive up close. I wonder how hard Bubba and Dustin can hit if they went all out? I doubt that they will do it as they need to golf every day with sore muscles and injuries or whatever else. The teaching pro at my neighborhood course can hit onto the second fairway from the driving range. I was told the distance he hits is 334 yards, and when he hits, it is pretty impressive to watch. I image that he tones it down on the course and controls the trajectory for optimal landing positions. Also, I wonder if 280 to 290 yards is all you need to hit reliably for the tour courses? I read somewhere that Tiger does not win with speed, but skill on the mid to short shots and putting. So, 120 is quite good. Did Phil Michelson play this same tournament? If so, I wonder how far he is hitting his really low lofted drives? I am sure he hits them as far as he needs as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I just happened to pause the FedEx Playoff event today while Louie Oost... was driving it over the green on a par 4. TaylorMade Tech Center had his numbers as follows:

Club Speed: 114

Ball Speed: 170

Carry 286

It rolled/bounced past pin-high which was listed as 306 yards.  I believe that's a smash factor of 1.49.  As far as I know Louie is not considered a short hitter by any means.

I just thought it was interesting.  It seems like anything above 105 for club speed is pretty good.

I WAS gonna say "Thats cute" did you see bubbas and Johnsons stats. but you covered that. Those were unbelievable. 124 mph swing speed

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I WAS gonna say "Thats cute" did you see bubbas and Johnsons stats. but you covered that. Those were unbelievable. 124 mph swing speed

Yeah, they're just on a whole 'nother level.  I actually think my jaw dropped when I saw the numbers in comparison.  And these are relatively controlled swings compared to what a guy like Jamie Sadlowski is attempting when he swings.  I'm sure they could go even faster.

Yeah, they're just on a whole 'nother level.  I actually think my jaw dropped when I saw the numbers in comparison.  And these are relatively controlled swings compared to what a guy like Jamie Sadlowski is attempting when he swings.  I'm sure they could go even faster.

I agree. To me, even a single digit handicapper is playing on a whole different level.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I care about it slightly. I just started golfing, and enjoy it tremendously. I'm also very proud of my achievements and enjoy sharing them with people on the forum and my personal friends. It's also something I naturally react to if someone doubts me, and think it's slightly interesting to debate it here. I could be wrong haha. I just didn't want to keep bogging down those other posts.

the ego reacts to it, you're not your ego... but maybe this is the wrong forum for this type of talk

Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!