IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I'm taking a break from watching the U.S. Open to vent about how awful Johnny Miller's commentary is. I'm tempted to watch the rest of the final round on mute. Miller has no personality and compensates by being hyper-critical and grouchy. He makes watching golf nearly unbearable. From the way he talks, you'd think he never made a mistake on the golf course for his entire career.

Miller's overbearing, blowhard attitude makes me long for Feherty, McCord and Kostis.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

I was thinking the exact same thing. He should stick to his column.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

I agree; there were a handful of times today where I shook my head at what Miller said. He caught himself a few times and tried to back track a bit, but he talks like he was the greatest player ever. Ironic for a guy who retired relatively early due to a bad case of the yipps. I saw him interviewed by Rich Learner on Live From yesterday and they discussed his 63 final round to win, and Miller was weepy the entire time. Hard to figure out how his on camera personality changes from that.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

i completely agree. i cant believe how far off nbc is. today i heard roger maltbie commenting on cabrera after the first errant tee shot all day. it was something to the effect that, "this is why he only has 3 european tour victories". i was thinking, "easy there buddy". found it funny when he went on to win.
as for captain obvious (johnny miller), just like every other commentator, tiger's exciting play makes his job much easier, with more to talk about. i also hate bob costas.

id prefer to have the cbs crew, but we have no choice.

Johnny Miller SUCKS!
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

id prefer to have the cbs crew, but we have no choice.

I second that

What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I'm taking a break from watching the U.S. Open to vent about how awful Johnny Miller's commentary is. I'm tempted to watch the rest of the final round on mute. Miller has no personality and compensates by being hyper-critical and grouchy. He makes watching golf nearly unbearable. From the way he talks, you'd think he never made a mistake on the golf course for his entire career.

How about no commentator at all? Seriously, these guys are annoying. Just tell me who it is, how far the guy is away, and what club he's hitting. No background stuff, no riffraff, unless it's absolutely vital.

The same goes for baseball and usually football. I want to watch the damn game!
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

The whole NBC crew of Miller, Maltbie, and Costas are just down right pathectic in my view. They were kissing Tiger's arse so bad on Saturday that I did have to mute them,,,lol.

I can't remember what hole but Miller was basically calling Cabrera a choking dog, and Cabrera stakes it and makes a birdie, leaving Miller to swallow his rhetoric!!! I just can't stand how they cling to Tiger like he's the only one out there, I was celebrating mighty loud when Cabrera pulled off the win!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

How about no commentator at all? Seriously, these guys are annoying. Just tell me who it is, how far the guy is away, and what club he's hitting. No background stuff, no riffraff, unless it's absolutely vital.

Hopefully, one of these days, we'll have TVs with the DVD-type options; one track for commentary, one track for just the game's audio.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Miller isnt terrible during the actually announcing, the thing that pisses me off is that they never stop talking about his 63 or w/e to win the U.S. open...It's like, WE HEARD WE DONT CARE NOW!!!

Roger Maltbie is an ididot as well. Damn guy looks like a chipmunk thats why they took him off camera.

NBC isnt terrible but it's not great either. CBS has better announcers, but ESPN was the worst. Chris Berman for golf makes me wanna puke.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Berman was awful. Johnny Miller was awful. I still don't understand why golf writers praise him for speaking his mind. We are watching golf, not world current events. Johnny sometimes just has to hear himself talk (like yesterday, Australians are better at the chip and run shot than Americans).

Like a previous poster said, we are here to watch the golf (or the game), keep your mouth shut.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

What's worse than the commentary is the idiots who always yell "Get in the hole!" as loud as they can every time Tiger hits a shot... That is just foolish...

I also really get tired of seeing only Tiger and Phil's shots all day, there are other golfers playing the event you know...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

I found Miller's commentary to be like a bad piece of furniture in the room. You know it's there, and you hate it, but after a while you're able to ignore it enough to not hate the room it's in.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• Administrator
Berman was awful. Johnny Miller was awful. I still don't understand why golf writers praise him for speaking his mind. We are watching golf, not world current events. Johnny sometimes just has to hear himself talk (like yesterday, Australians are better at the chip and run shot than Americans).

I'll agree or let a lot of stuff about Johnny Miller slide. Personally, I think with the right cast, he'd be a fine announcer.

But the comment above is simply stupid. Miller made that comment moments before Baddeley got up and down from nearly the same spot as Tiger, while Tiger bladed his chip over the green and made double. It was as prescient, wise, and timely a quote as I've ever really heard in a golf telecast. It was exactly the kind of opinion that was appropriate at that time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Aussie quote was good, and that's what Miller is there for. The problem is they go to him too often and he can't fill the dead air, so he winds up talking out of his ass. He needs to be the third guy in the booth. Slick announcer guy, technical shot by shot guy, then throw it to Johnny occasionally for a color perspective.

I miss Feherty so much. And McChord.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!