IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I like the CBS team better, however I do like Miller's comments because he has the guts to call it like it is and not lay down and be a pansy. A typical example will be a bunker shot that a pro hits and the crowd is clapping, the pro is shaking his head and Miller will call it correctly. Sure he will make his mistakes, but if you never piss anyone off then you are probably being a little wimpy. Oh, and like Faldo, he does know what he is talking about when it comes to actually playing the game. Now does he annoy me every now and then? Sure, but I realize that this is live TV and for every call he blows he gets 50 right.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I like the CBS team better, however I do like Miller's comments because he has the guts to call it like it is and not lay down and be a pansy. A typical example will be a bunker shot that a pro hits and the crowd is clapping, the pro is shaking his head and Miller will call it correctly. Sure he will make his mistakes, but if you never piss anyone off then you are probably being a little wimpy. Oh, and like Faldo, he does know what he is talking about when it comes to actually playing the game. Now does he annoy me every now and then? Sure, but I realize that this is live TV and for every call he blows he gets 50 right.

But I think what people's general consensus is... is that when you have to listen to someone for over an hour during the telecast, personality goes farther than Miller's knowledge.

I tend not to listen to commentary while watching golf, so I can't really weigh-in on this one... but I don't think most people (not just from this site but I've been reading others now as well, it seems the "We hate Johnny" topic is popular) have a problem with his knowledge... they have a problem with his attitude/personality.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

But I think what people's general consensus is... is that when you have to listen to someone for over an hour during the telecast, personality goes farther than Miller's knowledge.

Good point, he can get pompous at times and that never goes over well.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's funny, there's a lot of sports announcers out there that it seems a lot of people hate, yet many of them stick around for decades.

I think Johnny Miller does a very good job. Is he perfect? Of course not, but the question becomes who are they going to get that is going to be BETTER? Be able to to all of the analysis and top notch experience Johnny does AND conduct themselves professionally and with a personality everybody will like?

That's a very short list. In fact it's probably a blank sheet of paper.

I actually think both CBS and NBC have put together a couple of pretty good announcing teams. I think overall I do prefer CBS, but NBC is good too.

i think miller and maltbie need to go.....faldo, ferehty, and mcord are great

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Just my two cents here: If people liked Johnny Miller so much, I don't think there would be a thirty minute show on the Golf Channel about the ten stupidest things he has ever said.

I am not a huge fan of Miller, but I can't say I am a fan of Tighlman and Lerner either. Although he hardly ever announces, I would have to say Paul Azinger is the best announcer I have ever heard.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Nick Faldo is the best in my book, smooth...."James Bondish"

Don't really like Miller, seems to be starving for attention to me. But I don't turn the volume off when he is calling a round either..

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Who's with me, lets get johnny miller off the air. I'm sick of his babble, even tiger dissed him on his crap analysis. Johnny was saying the swing vision shot was better and he wasn't finishing around with his arms. Tiger said he was just hitting a cut and a draw would look very different. Dumb Johnny had nothing to say.

I don't know, but I love the avatar!

ok so he messes up a few times. big deal. he is much better than that homo jm nantz and all the yahoos that have no clue about golf and are just talking heads. i love when golf is on NBC and miller is commentating.

Wow, calling Jim Nantz a homo?? He is a sports broadcaster.. not restricted to golf alone because he is actually talented and knowledgable about all sports (therefor he gets offered jobs elsewhere).. most importantly he doesnt say stupid shit. Gary Koch is the one who needs to go, that guy is beyond annoying. Rich Lerner and Kelly Tilhgman are idiots. Johnny Miller knows his golf although he can go a bit over board sometimes.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

ok so he messes up a few times. big deal. he is much better than that homo jm nantz and all the yahoos that have no clue about golf and are just talking heads. i love when golf is on NBC and miller is commentating.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE! Johnny Miller knows what he is talking about. Big deal he made a mistake. It's not like he made a mistake like Kelly Tilghman did earlier this year....

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Wow, calling Jim Nantz a homo?? He is a sports broadcaster.. not restricted to golf alone because he is actually talented and knowledgable about all sports (therefor he gets offered jobs elsewhere).. most importantly he doesnt say stupid shit. Gary Koch is the one who needs to go, that guy is beyond annoying. Rich Lerner and Kelly Tilhgman are idiots. Johnny Miller knows his golf although he can go a bit over board sometimes.

I agree about Nantz. He CAN be overly dramatic, but he was a college golfer and is a good player. There have been some lousy ex-player commentators over the years...Curtis Strange, Lanny Wadkins, Trevino, Nicklaus was terrible whenever he would sit in. My pet peeve about ex-players are guys telling stories instead of making observations about the golf. Oh, and Ken Venturi was my all time least favorite, self absorbed commentator.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

Johnny Miller only said what kind of follow through was that. It looked as if Tiger forgot to follow through. But then when they replayed it on the BizHub he did realize he was probably trying to work the ball.

He merely mentioned that it did not look like a normal Tiger follow through WHICH IT DIDN'T.

Heck you could even here Tiger laughing as he watched the ball.

Johnny tells it as he see's it. Big deal. I like him and we need more like him.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Johnny Miller only said what kind of follow through was that. It looked as if Tiger forgot to follow through. But then when they replayed it on the BizHub he did realize he was probably trying to work the ball.

It was the worst golf interview on TV I have ever seen, totally uncomfortable for Tiger. Tiger corrected Johnny and said he was wrong, that is probably why he was laughing during the analysis. Other than that, Tiger got cut off 100 times by our pal Johnny.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

It was the worst golf interview on TV I have ever seen, totally uncomfortable for Tiger. Tiger corrected Johnny and said he was wrong, that is probably why he was laughing during the analysis. Other than that, Tiger got cut off 100 times by our pal Johnny.

I have to admit i did miss the interview. Was speaking more towards when the shot actually happened.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I agree about Nantz. He CAN be overly dramatic, but he was a college golfer and is a good player. There have been some lousy ex-player commentators over the years...Curtis Strange, Lanny Wadkins, Trevino, Nicklaus was terrible whenever he would sit in. My pet peeve about ex-players are guys telling stories instead of making observations about the golf. Oh, and Ken Venturi was my all time least favorite, self absorbed commentator.

right on! Venturi and Strange were HORRIBLE. I would rather listen to Nantz and Miller ALL DAY LONG. I like Faldo, and Feherty. McCord in small doses.

I have to admit, i find Miller annoying, but not as annoying as Steve Sands and Rich Lerner.

When the Golf Channel used to show in England, Golf Dentral used to have sections where Lerner would give what can only be described as a monologue, and it was as if her was trying to win a pulitzer prize for his efforts, it was so over the top and annoying.

It was always like
"when the sun sets, and the dew settles on the tips of grass, and all have gone home for an evening of much deserved rest, one person will be asking himself, what could it have been?"

It's golf for gods sake, not a sebastian faulkes novel!

And Steve Sands is just annoying

Regarding Faldo, i think he is very good, and not being horrible or anything at all, i just think that in America, his very British style can be misunderstood and found to be offensive, he just says what he thinks, and as a 5 time major winner, i thik he has earned the right!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

Personally, I like Miller, he tells it like it is and he is an established player, which gives some credibilty to his commentating. He has been wrong before and admits that he has(99 Ryder Cup), but he calls it like he sees it. Now that being said they could fire 90% of the Golf Channels commentators and I would like that. Just keep Faldo and can the rest of them.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I can put up with Miller because he does add color. The one thing that I am starting to giggle at is his diddy to do with hearing the mishits from up in the booth. I know the guy used to get into sensory stuff so he may have a keen sense around ball contact but the ' two grooves up ' line is a bit too much for me...

Other then that we need for filler as Tiger lays another beating on the masses and the telecast slides into all the excitement of a curling game...

Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!