IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Okay, I know there are a million "Johnny Miller sucks" threads . . .

. . . but I'm sitting here watching The BMW and I swear he's getting worse. He's slurring his speech more than usual. He's going off on random tangents. And he's clearly bugging the crap out of the other announcers.

Roger Maltbie has been dismissive to Miller all day. And even Gary Koch and Dan Hicks seem frustrated.

The incident I just watched involved Maltbie telling a story about why Anthony Kim chokes up on his clubs. Miller interrupts and the following exchange occurs [paraphrased]:
Miller: "You guys on the East Coast call it choking up. We call it choking down here out West. I think we are more accurate."

Maltbie [annoyed]: "Uhhhh, okay."

Hicks [to Miller]: "You've got rights to that 'choking' word, so we're going to stay out of it."

Miller: "Well, I'm not sure how to take that, but thank you."

[Miller goes off on a tangent about how older balls used to spin a lot more.]

[camera goes back to AK]

Maltbie [still annoyed]: Okay, there's a good look at Kim choking up or down or whatever you want to call it.

Many years ago, I used to like Miller. But for the past 5 or so (maybe longer), he's virtually unintelligible ... and more than virtually annoying. I swear, he sounds half-drunk sometimes. And even the other announcers seem to be getting increasingly fed up with him. (And it's not the good-natured ribbing like you see between buddies Gary McCord and David Feherty.)

Anyway, I know this issue is beating a dead horse, but Miller seems particularly bad today. It makes me want to mute the audio. Too bad I don't speak Spanish - I would use the SAP button.

Oh well, at least he hasn't said "Isn't that right Dottie?" a million times today.

I agree now.

Rodger: ITs going to break to the right.
Miller: How Much?
Rodger: UGH! ITs going to break some
Miller: How many feet?
Rodger: I dont know!
Nantz: (Mockingly) How many inches Rodger?

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I agree now.

Not to nitpick, but Nantz is on another network covering the NFL somewhere today. It's Dan Hicks who has the burden of sharing the booth with Johnny today.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Oh, i got mixed up...sry. They have the very similar voices.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Another gem from Miller just a minute ago: after going on a bizarre rant about why Rees Jones didn't put the 17th green against the creek running down the right side of the hole during the course's recent redesign, he badgers Gary Koch (who apparently has no objections the hole's routing) to agree with his opinion. Koch half-heartedly says, "[putting the green against the creek] might have given it a little more risk/reward opportunity." Miller: "It wouldn't have just made it more risk/reward, it would have made it better!"

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I got a kick out of his comment before Anthony Kim's birdie putt on 17... something like, "if he misses this one it's because he either pulled it or pushed it or left it short."

I know he was making the point that AK should know the line because he'd just seen Furyk's putt, but it reminded me of one of the running jokes in my Sunday scramble match... "if we get the right speed and the right line on this putt, we have a good chance of making it."

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

I got a kick out of his comment before Anthony Kim's birdie putt on 17... something like, "if he misses this one it's because he either pulled it or pushed it or left it short."

Yeah, reminds me of the old line: "If you leave it short, it never has a chance to get in the hole." Uh, it also doesn't have a chance to go in the hole if it's on the wrong line or you blow it by the hole. In fact, it only has a chance if you pick the right line and don't hit it short or long.

DVR'ed this round and watching it now and just saw this part, and didn't hear the 'annoyance' in Maltbie's voice you describe, nor anyone else.

Not defending Miller, but just didn't hear it, thought they were joking around as usual... Not the biggest Miller fan, and I agree that his tangents can be distracting, but you have to admit, having someone who can give opinions and has knowledge beats the droning lack of insight of the Golf Channel analysts. The 'isn't that right, Dottie' catch is hilarious, hahaha...

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

I like Miller. He adds a little color to the event without being silly like Gary McCord. But to each their own.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I find him pretty funny although he has been getting a little full of himself. My favorite announcers are McCord and Feherty.

Taylormade R7 460
Lynx Parallax 15 Degree
Nickent 3DX Ironwood 18 degree
Callaway X-18's
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreeOdyssey Black Series No. 1

Miller is like your grandfather. He is stern, and says stuff completely of subject. I enjoy watching tournaments when he is in the booth. Just for the stuff he says, and I love how critical he is.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I didn't catch much of the BMW Championship, but I was able to see some of round 2/3. Sergio Garcia was in the rough and Miller was criticizing how Sergio brings the club from the inside into impact. Because of this Sergio is more likely to hit the ball fat...

Does he know Sergio is one of the best ball strikers ever?

What makes it funnier is that he continued saying that to make good contact in the rough he needs to come "over the top" like J.B. Holmes. LOL I don't even know where to begin with this statement.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

I didn't catch much of the BMW Championship, but I was able to see some of round 2/3. Sergio Garcia was in the rough and Miller was criticizing how Sergio brings the club from the inside into impact. Because of this Sergio is more likely to hit the ball fat...

What he means by that is that a golfer with a more upright swing has a better chance of catching more ball out of the rough compared to a player like Garcia who comes into the ball on a flatter plane. By coming in on a flatter plane, more grass will come in between the club and ball.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

What he means by that is that a golfer with a more upright swing has a better chance of catching more ball out of the rough compared to a player like Garcia who comes into the ball on a flatter plane. By coming in on a flatter plane, more grass will come in between the club and ball.

Okay, I think you should e-mail Sergio and tell him to swing steeper because his ball striking isn't good enough.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

Funny,

While listing to him talk about that choke up/down thing I was wondering if someone would start another JM thread! ;)

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, I think you should e-mail Sergio and tell him to swing steeper because his ball striking isn't good enough.

I e-mailed Sergio like you suggested and he said " Gracious " ! :)

play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

. . . but I'm sitting here watching The BMW and I swear he's getting worse. He's slurring his speech more than usual. He's going off on random tangents. And he's clearly bugging the crap out of the other announcers.

I heard that too... Do you think there was any chance that Miller was completely sober?

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!