IGNORED

The ProtoSports Holster for the iPhone

Note: This thread is 4136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a new product on the market that allows you to connect your iPhone to an alignment stick and video your swing anywhere on the golf course. Its called the ProtoSports Holster. It is going to help you utilize your practice time by putting video at your fingertips in seconds. We don't always have time to setup a tripod on the range or have friends around to help us video and this gives us a perfect solution.

It is now available at www.protosports.com.

179557_434299173277306_404899494_n.jpg 481934_435675673139656_1078039434_n.jpg 480768_435675579806332_1602517210_n.jpg

Mine should be here soon.  This is something a lot of our members need to check out, I've been seeing too many videos taken from the ground

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just got my holster in the mail tonight... It is legit.  And I love it already...  Let me explain why I really thought I needed this holster...

First, for the past several months I've been trying to jerry rig my iPing cradle to an alignment stick... To film with my iPhone when I didn't have anyone at the range to video my swing.  And that failed 80% of the time because it was a pain in the ass trying to get the iPing cradle to stay attached to the alignment stick... And then even when it was attached - I had to make sure it was at the very tip of the alignment stick as the alignment stick is too thin for the iPing cradle to stay attached.

Secondly, I hate disturbing strangers to take a video of me at the range.

So... Getting this holster from ProtoSports was definitely of interest when I saw the original thread here on TST.

Now... Let me review the ProtoSports holster...

1.) Easy of Use.  I like is how easy it snaps onto the alignment stick.

2.) Secure fit. Once it is attached to the alignment stick - it is very snug and won't slide up or down (like the silly iPing cradle I was trying to use before).  It is a nice snug fit so you don't have to worry about the camera angle being all wonky.  As long as the alignment stick is securely in the ground, and isn't moving... The iPhone camera will take a nice clear video.

3.) It is very small - half the size of the iPhone - so it can fit nicely into a pocket on your golf bag so that it is always there when you need it.

Here is a sample video I took tonight while at the range....  Definitely worth purchasing in my opinion... And I'll add that I have nothing to do with this accessory.  Other than stumbling across it in the forum.

I highly recommend that anyone out there that takes their golf practice sessions serious (any 'Myswing' members)... You should check this out if you have an iPhone 4 or 4S.

• Administrator

FWIW, please post reviews on the product page: http://thesandtrap.com/products/protosports-holster-for-the-iphone . I have a "shell" one I'll be completing later today (after I catch up on the forum posts).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I just got my holster in the mail tonight... It is legit.

I just got mine last night as well, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Any ideas what you are going to do for FO videos?  The Talega range I go to at lunch is the same as Rancho - all mats - so I don't know how I'm going to use this for face on.  Maybe try and stand the bag up and leave the stick inside?  Hmmm...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Any ideas what you are going to do for FO videos?  The Talega range I go to at lunch is the same as Rancho - all mats - so I don't know how I'm going to use this for face on.  Maybe try and stand the bag up and leave the stick inside?  Hmmm...

Yeah, put the stick through one of the straps or something (the towel ring? the umbrella holder?) so it doesn't fall over.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like the concept, but have a couple suggestions to make the product more useable.    First, make the part that clips onto the stick on a simple swivel from the part that holds the phone so you can can adjust it to be vertical if the stick you've clipped it on to is at an angle.    The second suggestion (this goes along with the first) is to then have the two different clips (currently for vertical and horizontal use) instead be two different sizes, with one meant to clip onto an alignment stick and the other the right size to clip onto a club shaft.    Combined these would make it useable with a broader variety of attachments, let you clip it onto a club in your bag, use a club instead of a stick if you don't carry alignment sticks, etc.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clambake

I like the concept, but have a couple suggestions to make the product more useable.    First, make the part that clips onto the stick on a simple swivel from the part that holds the phone so you can can adjust it to be vertical if the stick you've clipped it on to is at an angle.    The second suggestion (this goes along with the first) is to then have the two different clips (currently for vertical and horizontal use) instead be two different sizes, with one meant to clip onto an alignment stick and the other the right size to clip onto a club shaft.    Combined these would make it useable with a broader variety of attachments, let you clip it onto a club in your bag, use a club instead of a stick if you don't carry alignment sticks, etc.

While true, the swivel would increase the cost quite a bit, and having two models violates the idea of simplicity as well. One of the best things Steve Jobs did for Apple was to slash their product lineup to a few basic models that could be somewhat minimally configured (internally).

I don't know if there's a market for a $50 clip (one clip, two different swiveling pieces for the shaft and alignment stick).

I just got mine last night as well, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

For face on - I've just been doing swings without a ball.  Off in the grass off to the side of the range.  Not ideal... But it works too.  The idea of standing the bag up straight isn't a bad idea though.

For face on - I've just been doing swings without a ball.  Off in the grass off to the side of the range.  Not ideal... But it works too.  The idea of standing the bag up straight isn't a bad idea though.

Not sure if my bag will actually stand up, but Erik's suggestion of sliding the stick through the umbrella holder should work, I would think.  I will find out soon enough I guess.  And once I get those down, I will finally start a myswing thread.  (I just didn't want to start one with those "swings" you recorded the other day because they were hideous)

Not sure if my bag will actually stand up, but Erik's suggestion of sliding the stick through the umbrella holder should work, I would think.  I will find out soon enough I guess.  And once I get those down, I will finally start a myswing thread.  (I just didn't want to start one with those "swings" you recorded the other day because they were hideous)

Hahahha... How are you going to get better if you don't put up your misses?

Hahahha... How are you going to get better if you don't put up your misses?

I know, I know ... I'd just feel a little better starting off with something decent.  But I will definitely post good and bad after that.

Originally Posted by iacas

While true, the swivel would increase the cost quite a bit, and having two models violates the idea of simplicity as well. One of the best things Steve Jobs did for Apple was to slash their product lineup to a few basic models that could be somewhat minimally configured (internally).

I don't know if there's a market for a $50 clip (one clip, two different swiveling pieces for the shaft and alignment stick).

Erik, I think you're making my idea more complicated than what I envision.     I'm not talking about having two models or an expensive swivel arrangement, but something very simple (one of my fundamental product development design rules).

I have a cell phone belt case that has a very simple ratcheting swivel so the phone can either hang vertically or horizontally.   It only has two pieces of plastic that snap together with a ridged area where the two pieces meet to hold the swivel in a set angle.    Looks to be very inexpensive to manufacture.

Also, I'm not suggesting two different swivel pieces.   The current version has two sets of snaps set at 90 degrees depending on which orientation you want to use.   If there these are on a swivel base, then my suggestion is to have one of snaps in a smaller diameter for alignment rods and the others (90 degrees apart) in a larger diameter to fit on a shaft.    Orientation is then set by just swiveling into position.

Overall, one case that fits different applications, can also be clipped onto something sitting at an angle (like a club sitting in a bag), and probably no more than $1 incremental manufacturing cost.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clambake

Also, I'm not suggesting two different swivel pieces.   The current version has two sets of snaps set at 90 degrees depending on which orientation you want to use.   If there these are on a swivel base, then my suggestion is to have one of snaps in a smaller diameter for alignment rods and the others (90 degrees apart) in a larger diameter to fit on a shaft.    Orientation is then set by just swiveling into position.

Okay. I still think that's a $34.95 type of product. Or $29.95. And I'm guessing most people have driveway markers and don't need it to clip onto a shaft (plus shafts vary in diameter, so you'd have to have it clip on to the bottom near the head, and the clubhead would get in the way. Not in the way of filming necessarily, just "in the way" of general use.

I think the product is fine. It's simple and effective, and requires exactly one injection molded piece and no assembly.

• 1 month later...

The ProtoSports Holster made an appearance at the PGA last week. It is not out in the masses yet but there are a few guys who are using it and like it a lot. It sounds like some guys like it for putting as well as full swings. The ability to monitor putting strokes and skid rates can make a big difference on the strokes where it counts. You can take a look at true roll, where the ball is making contact with the putter, as well as alignment as it relates to putting. If you haven't seen it yet you can take a look at it here.

www.protosports.com

• 1 month later...

Just ordered one for iPhone 5.  I did not see an option to pick for it on your website so make a comment that is the phone I need it for.

Frankly, it pisses me off that I did not come up with this idea.  I can remember being out with my alignment sticks and taping my phone to them and wondering about a product that would make it much easier.  Sucks for me, but great for you.  I'll gladly give my money to someone who was smarter than me to actually invent and market the product.

Note: This thread is 4136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!