IGNORED

Streamsong Resort

Note: This thread is 2258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Streamsong's two golf courses (one designed by Tom Doak and the other designed by Ben Crenshaw/Bill Coore) are currently completed and they are undergoing some of the final steps to prepare for their expected opening in December of this year.  The clubhouse (that includes a 12 room lodge) is currently under construction and will be completed and opened when the courses open for play.  I went on a tour of the courses last week and it looks great with some spectacular scenery and they are nothing like any other course in Florida (very much have a British links look and feel).  Golf Digest did a tour/review of the course that will appear in the September issue.

Initially the resort itself will include the 36 holes of golf (actually 37 as it has a "playoff" hole to settle bets post round) a 216 room hotel, 4 restaurants, a skeet shooting range, private bass fishing lakes and nature trails.  Other amenities may be added after the resort is opened for a while (one thing the course has plenty of is land to expand and add amenities, etc.).  The hotel is currently under construction and is scheduled to open in late 2013.

In addition to streamsongresort.com you can also keep updated on the opening of the courses and the progress on the construction of the resort by visiting on visitcentralflorida.org.

That's about an hour from me... I may have to take a trip down there when it opens. it's out in the middle of no where. and was an orange grove... I would guess they moved a lot of dirt to build the courses.

It would seem a little fishy that two people with only one post started and responded to this thread...

Actually Streamsong was not a citrus grove.  It is owned by Mosaic (the phosphate mining company) and was built on reclaimed mine land.  The designers moved little to no dirt in building the course as they liked the pits and sand dunes that were left over from the mining days.

The course has a very raw look with the dunes, wild native grasses and sand waste areas.  You will need to keep it in the fairways or be in store for a very long day and a lot of lost golf balls.

Very true it is in the middle of no where, but that is also the allure of the entire resort.  Everything is understated and blends into the surrounding land.  You stand on the dunes and look around and see nothing but natural land for miles, and you do not hear a sound.  A big change from most Florida courses where you are surrounded by houses.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this course in GolfDigest and being about an hour from there in Tampa I can't friggin' WAIT to get out and play both courses.  The pictures look amazing.  Trying to hook up with their sales team to find out about stay and play packages, etc.  Will post up here when I hear more.

Advertise much?

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

Advertise much?

I'm pretty cynical but I don't think that's what's happening.

It's a new course and it's getting some awfully good press...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

Advertise much?

If that was directed at me, check my reviews and posts.  I'm not on here to advertise.  GoflDigest put a one page review of the course in their September issue.  I saw it, I live an hour from the site, I went looking for threads on it.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jwrussell

If that was directed at me, check my reviews and posts.  I'm not on here to advertise.  GoflDigest put a one page review of the course in their September issue.  I saw it, I live an hour from the site, I went looking for threads on it.

Yeah don't worry about it.

I saw the little article thing and am intrigued. My wife was just in Clearwater, FL. If I had been there I'd have driven over just to take a look at it!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure why you think I was referring to you. Maybe I should have quoted the first two posts to be clear. I'm referring to the two brand new people who have all of the information about this new place, never posting anywhere else before or since this thread. Clearly it's advertising but it's subjective apparently. I was told links to commercial sites/products wasn't allowed on TST, after I posted a link to GolfShot in my signature.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

• 3 months later...

I just visited the Streamsong site and it said the clubhouse and the 2 courses will be opening late this month.  I am looking looking forward to the "resort" part opening so there will accommodations available.  It looks like it will be a very nice getaway location!

On their website I see a greenfee of 399 dollars to play for a day. When I play (to me) a top course like Celebration for a day I pay less that 100.

Can't be worth that much money....

Just took a second tour of the property and definitely have the itch to play them when the open later this month.

You really get a Scottish links feel to both courses.  Tall grasses and dunes off the fairways, deep bunkers with natural sand from the site (nothing trucked in).  Almost constant breeze/winds will greatly affect shots because there are few trees and no buildings to block the wind. No fringe or transition cuts around the greens, so a lot of bump and run strategy.

No palms, no primping, no flower beds, definitely not your average Florida golf courses.

On their website I see a greenfee of 399 dollars to play for a day. When I play (to me) a top course like Celebration for a day I pay less that 100. Can't be worth that much money....

Exactly. I could scrape together that kind of money for a round there, but would I even want to?

• 2 weeks later...

Any public or resort that has courses by Doak and the team of Coore and Crenshaw is a must see golf destination IMO. If I lived in Florida, I'd try to get there. The fairly recent trend towards strategic, lay of the land courses (Sand Hills, Bandon, Cabot Links, etc...) is good for golf and the future of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!