IGNORED

Club lengths in general

Note: This thread is 4272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 6,2 feet tall (74,4 Inches).

With Golf shoes my wrist height is 37''.

I currently play standard lenght and lie. (Callaway x-forged 2007)

I checked many online fitting sites.

They all basically say 2° up and 0,5'' longer maybe even 1'' ...

However I don't want to trust a computer blindly.

Therefore I decided to just add half an inch to my club lenght for now.

Because I think that cannot be wrong...

Before I do this work I wanted to ask if I am basically right.

Does the ballflight change when I just edit the club lenght?

Some more questions:

1. Is it true that an accurate lie fitting is not really important for lofts that are smaller than 24°

2. I have three wedges (Cleveland 588    52°,  56°,  60°).

Some say they should all be the same lenght others say half an inch between them...

What's the advantage of having them all the same lenght?

Originally Posted by woltaire

Before I do this work I wanted to ask if I am basically right.

Does the ballflight change when I just edit the club lenght?

Tough to say but adding length makes the club play more upright and slightly less stiff because the swing weight has increased.

Originally Posted by woltaire

Some more questions:

1. Is it true that an accurate lie fitting is not really important for lofts that are smaller than 24°

I would tend to agree, although 3 irons tend to be 20-21 degrees.  But yeah when you get into the hybrids and fairway woods the sole is more rounded so there is less of a need for getting the lie angle perfect.

Originally Posted by woltaire

2. I have three wedges (Cleveland 588    52°,  56°,  60°).

Some say they should all be the same lenght others say half an inch between them...

What's the advantage of having them all the same lenght?

I think they should be lengthened as well but maybe only a 1/4".  I think if you don't it might be too noticeable in terms of feel at address but with wedges you want to have the ability to have a short enough club for a variety of shots around the green.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Therefore I decided to just add half an inch to my club lenght for now. Because I think that cannot be wrong...

This may sound obvious, but have you ever had a fitting session? Having someone looking at your swing and setup.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

No I never had a fitting session.

I don't have a Golf Pro but try to learn alone...

It's a period where I change so many things every day that I also don't want to get a club set that is fitted to my errors...

I made this video now that shows setup and basic swing.

I draw some lines into it.

What can be seen is that I slightly lower and rise my body before and during swing.

My idea was to make my Irons longer than standart in order to work agains the down and up movement...

However I am not sure if that will work of if I am right...

I went to the GolfWorks club fitting and assembly school in February. Fitting for shaft length got a lot of discussion. Main idea: You have to actually fit a person with a club in their hand. The wrist-to-floor formula is a starting point, but you don't want to cut metal based on that alone.

Have you put impact tape on the sole of your irons? Hit some shots on the impact board, and the main impact point on the sole will tell if you have proper lie angle. Rub mark toward heel, lie angle is too upright. Rub mark toward toe, lie angle is too flat.

You can adjust this by changing both shaft length and lie angle. Other factors affecting best shaft length and lie angle are your stance/spine angle, and arm length related to overall height.

In your swing video , I could not see the flight of your ball. Do you tend to miss either right or left a lot? Or, did your online reading make you feel you needed to spec your club to industry averages?

In the frame holding your video , you say you're concerned about up-and-down movement of your torso. ...

The video shows you have a common problem among us mid-HDCP golfers: Coming out of your stance on follow-through, generally resulting from stiff back muscles. If you're interested in stabilizing your swing, you might try an exercise program to increase the flexibility of your lower back. More flexible back muscles would allow you to "stay down" in your stance better. I am a year into the Titleist Performance Institute exercises. One benefit: I can "stay down" better in my downswing.

If you're interested, Titleist Performance Institute has its own web site.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!