• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmorg19

Best Premium, Tour Compression Ball

32 posts in this topic

I'm searching for a ball that has a 100+ compression factor that doesn't hit like a rock or cost a fortune. I hit a Taylormade TP Black LDP today and truly enjoyed it, but it wasn't very responsive around the green. I understand the trade off of having a harder ball, but I'm just curious if there is a happy medium ball. I may just be living in the great golf beyond though

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

This is a tough one to answer.  Compression ratings aren't as commonly available as they once were.  While expensive I still feel ProV1's are the best ball.  The downside is the price and the durability of the ball.  I have never been a fan of the ProV1x's because they are a much harder ball, but in your case may be ideal.  I also have played the Nike One Tour golf balls which were in between the two ProV1's in relation to how hard they felt, and it also produced good spin around the greens.  However, Nike One Tour balls were replaced wiht the new 20xi's and I haven't had the chance to play them.  I have heard they play very similar to the Nike One's did.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by jmorg19

I'm searching for a ball that has a 100+ compression factor that doesn't hit like a rock or cost a fortune. I hit a Taylormade TP Black LDP today and truly enjoyed it, but it wasn't very responsive around the green. I understand the trade off of having a harder ball, but I'm just curious if there is a happy medium ball. I may just be living in the great golf beyond though

http://thesandtrap.com/products/kickx-tour-z-golf-ball

http://thesandtrap.com/products/kickx-tour-z-golf-ball/reviews/

http://www.golfshopcentral.com/p-47-kick-x-tourz-premium-balls.aspx?B=1&A;=59 (enter the pro code "thesandtrap")

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

ProV1x and Callaway Hex Black

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Motley.  Callaway Hex Black and ProV1 (although he mentioned the ProV1x instead).  The Hex Black is rediculous around the green, but my swing speed is only 105-110 on average so I don't get the compression.  ProV1s are great all around (other than for me due to the swing speed thing). Sounds like you may not have the problem with a lower swing speed though.

Let us know what you go with.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and my buddy loves the new Nike 20Xi.  I've never played one though, so I have no comment of my own on it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I have tried the Taylormade TP Black LDP, Taylormade TP Red LDP, Nike One Tour, Nike One Platinum, Titleist ProV1 & ProV1x, and Callaway tour i(x). So far the TP Black is the best for me. I ended up hitting it 310 and change to an elevated fairway. It seems to spin slightly less than the ProV1x however. When you are getting 10 or 15 more yards, the spin isn't the biggest concern all of the sudden. Motown88: I see what you mean about the lack of compression ratings available now. I've had to look to the depths of the interwebs to find even ballpark numbers for the balls. They also used to show them on the ball with the number and name color, but that has gone out the window in most cases.  Iacus: I haven't heard of that ball yet. I'll have to try it and see for sure. The reviews seem extremely positive on the website. Motley01: I enjoy the ProV1x's for sure. There's no problem getting that little bugger down the fairway. I hit the Hex Black a while ago, but I forget how it felt so I'll have another go with it. Tefunk: I hear nothing but excellent reviews for both of the 20XI's. I can't wait to try them out.

I'm on vacation for the next few days, but as soon as my trials resume, I will let you know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was curious if you knew how the Hex Black compares to the Tour i(s)?   I just started playing the Tour i(s) and have found it better off the tee and on the greens when compared to the Titleist NXT Tour I had been playing.

Originally Posted by tefunk

I second Motley.  Callaway Hex Black and ProV1 (although he mentioned the ProV1x instead).  The Hex Black is rediculous around the green, but my swing speed is only 105-110 on average so I don't get the compression.  ProV1s are great all around (other than for me due to the swing speed thing). Sounds like you may not have the problem with a lower swing speed though.

Let us know what you go with.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I switched to the Pro V1s a few months back and don't intend to go back. Motown is right, you may like the V1xs, as they're a bit harder. I don't know about your area, but I have a golf store that is perpetually going out of business here, and you can get Practice and X-out Pro V1s and Pro V1xs for around $30 a box. Can't use them in tournaments but they're fine for your weekly round, and they perform the same. You can also buy buckets on Amazon that are refurbished, but to me the refurbished ones just don't spin the same way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

I switched to the Pro V1s a few months back and don't intend to go back. Motown is right, you may like the V1xs, as they're a bit harder. I don't know about your area, but I have a golf store that is perpetually going out of business here, and you can get Practice and X-out Pro V1s and Pro V1xs for around $30 a box. Can't use them in tournaments but they're fine for your weekly round, and they perform the same. You can also buy buckets on Amazon that are refurbished, but to me the refurbished ones just don't spin the same way.

I've literally hit the cover off of a refurb'ed ProV1. Not all are made the same. I usually just get them from the recycled ball sellers online. The 5A balls are as close to new as you get for half the price.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by jmorg19

I've literally hit the cover off of a refurb'ed ProV1. Not all are made the same. I usually just get them from the recycled ball sellers online. The 5A balls are as close to new as you get for half the price.


Same here. They don't get along with most wedges. My Taylormade RACs are pretty gentle on them though. Where is the cheapest place to get the 5As?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

Same here. They don't get along with most wedges. My Taylormade RACs are pretty gentle on them though. Where is the cheapest place to get the 5As?

Usually Lostgolfballs.com have pretty good prices on their balls. They even run specials where 5As cost the same as 3As. I haven't found a cheaper place

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

Same here. They don't get along with most wedges. My Taylormade RACs are pretty gentle on them though. Where is the cheapest place to get the 5As?

This is off topic, but how do you like your RAC's.  I used to have TM RAC Lt's and they hit great but all the clubheads kept flying off.  I never had a problem with clubs before those, or after.  TM told me it was my problem they were flying off, I just want to know if you've had similar issues.  I personally think I had defective clubs, but never found someone else that played RAC's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Motown88

This is off topic, but how do you like your RAC's.  I used to have TM RAC Lt's and they hit great but all the clubheads kept flying off.  I never had a problem with clubs before those, or after.  TM told me it was my problem they were flying off, I just want to know if you've had similar issues.  I personally think I had defective clubs, but never found someone else that played RAC's.

I've definitely never had durability issues with them. I'm a pretty long player, so I end up with a great deal of wedges into greens from various lies and I absolutely love my RAC Chromes. I have a little trouble spinning them at times, but that's likely my swing, not the clubs. Sounds like you did get some defective clubs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

I've definitely never had durability issues with them. I'm a pretty long player, so I end up with a great deal of wedges into greens from various lies and I absolutely love my RAC Chromes. I have a little trouble spinning them at times, but that's likely my swing, not the clubs. Sounds like you did get some defective clubs.

Glad to hear another player is having no problems with them.  TM telling me it was my swing and not their defective clubs was a blessing in disguise.  I have Nike VR split cavity backs now and love how they play.  It just would have been nice if TM had told me a few years ago that I had faulty clubs, not good customer service in my opinion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Motown88

Glad to hear another player is having no problems with them.  TM telling me it was my swing and not their defective clubs was a blessing in disguise.  I have Nike VR split cavity backs now and love how they play.  It just would have been nice if TM had told me a few years ago that I had faulty clubs, not good customer service in my opinion.


I feel like you'd need a forensic report to get them to admit fault there. More power to you there lol, I couldn't stand my old cavity wedges.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The search for the ball is nearing the end. I played a Srixon Z-Star X today. After a birdie on the first hole, an eagle opportunity on a par 4, and being able to stop the ball like no other, this ball may be for me. It was sent to the golfing gods, however, when I hit a 6 iron 200 yards over the green and through the woods. I was attempting to lay up and it came off the face red hot. I also played a Taylormade TP Red LDP, Bridgestone B330, and a Callaway tourix. The TP Red was a fairly decent, but just didn't have the distance of the others. The Bridgestone is a very solid, long hitter ball. It had a nice soft feel, but I felt I was at the mercy of the ball at time. It would spin crazy fast one hole and release and roll further on a shorter shot the next hole. The Callaway is a stupidly long ball. I just threw my hands at it and got it down the fairway 340 yards. It is a great ball for long par 5's, but there just isn't a satisfaction when hitting it. It goes 300 yards but you feel like you hit a rock. I hit it with my iron decently flush (slightly thin) and thought I was going to throw the club. It genuinely hurts to hit that ball if you do not catch it flush every single time.

In the final episode of this saga, I will review, hopefully, a Nike One Platinum, a Callaway Hex, a Titleist ProV1x  a Top-Flite Gamer (wild card ball), and, if I can get a hold of one, a Nike 20XI.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are 3 I really like but I ain't long but I am accurate.  The 2010 Top Flite E I think it is called.  I bought 3 boxes this spring and have used 3 sleeves from one box.  It is a very excellent ball with great attributes and if I didn't own so many of the Noodles and Wilson Duo's I just might play this one all the time. An old ball, the Noodle soft and long.  I really like it.  Doesn't roll out much on the green so it gets good bite but I skin it easily, and that causes it to get hairy easily!  But to me has great feel which to me is important.  The last ball I really like is the Wilson Pro Staff Duo.  It seems to be as long as anything else and rolls out nicely but checks up on the green and feels good off my sticks a  bit better ball than the previous mentioned two.  thanks

I think if you are 5 or better maybe more expensive balls would be for you but if you ain't in the single digits I don't know how much more a $50 box of a doz premium balls would be than the above mentioned.  Just my opinion though.   For instance last Wed I played the south course in Churchville NY.  I played with a little fella, about 5'4", and 150lbs soaking wet, but the dude could dead nuts smack the mack daddy about the fairway.  Consistently 260--270 off the tee and in the fairway.  I ain't that long but as the round went on I got a bit closer to him.  I was using the Noodles exclusively.  Inside of a 100 yds he wold consistently be over the green almost like clock work.  I would be on the green like clock work.  I would one putt or 2 putt and he would 3 putt consistently or better.  He was using the ProV1.  I let him hit a Noodle with a wedge on the last hole and danged if he didn't back it up about 8' or so.  He couldn't believe it.  Not saying he is going to change but I know for a fact it had him thinking!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      No problem.  I'm not tired of responding to sincere and thoughtful posts, like yours, even if it rehashes stuff from before because OF COURSE it is unrealistic to expect people to read 3000 posts before commenting.  In any case I have that quote in a file and it was simple to post it - much simpler and politer than saying "go find it , it's here."  I DO think that one should maybe at least read a smattering of such a big thread before jumping in,   But I have no patience whatsoever with the "I saw Jack play" and "he was nice at a clinic" type posts or posts by people who try to claim some special credibility because of some entirely personal subjective connection.  But that isn't you. As to the rest, you asked for the exact quote and I gave it to you.  If you want to argue with what he said, that is another matter and does not concern me, since my position is that even if we, arguendo, say that the field strengths did NOT get better, Tiger's career was so much more dominant than Jack's that it doesn't matter.  I don't NEED to make a stronger field argument to make the case that Tiger dominated golf in a way and to an extent that no other golfer has ever dominated golf.  And he did it for 15 years (after an absolutely unprecedented career as an amateur) which, IMO, is long enough that it no longevity argument could overcome the sheer dominance advantage his career embodied.   The fact that all that is true in the face of field strength increasing is just icing on the cake.   
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Excellent. Thank you for re-posting that quote. Sorry to hear you're tired of rehashing. Why not just let the thread die then? Is the expectation that folks will read all 272 pages before making a comment? That strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.. I agree the tour is tougher than it used to be. I consider the differences more incremental than astronomical...not the 'order of magnitude' range that seems to come through in some comments. I think Jack is both being accurate in assessing his perception of a shift in quality, but also exaggerating for effect or experiencing present-day myopia at the very least about the money. $100 in 1962 money would be ~ $800 dollars today. Not exactly what I would call bus fare. The 'paltry' $100,000 had the buying power of about $800,000 in today's dollars, which is ~ 60% of today's average purse and ~ 30% of the Players' purse).. Most Americans would happily take an annual salary like that today. They weren't getting ditch digger wages. The prize money even then definitely attracted keen competitive interest. Clearly purses have also grown more than inflation and even journeyman make more in a year than the top 10 in 1962 (below), but it seems about in line with the growth of the population of golfers in the U.S. itself - about triple since Jack's day, Endorsement money has definitely gotten bigger, as the tour and the golf marketplace have developed and expanded over time.   Rank       Player                  1962 $                   2015 $ 1            Arnold Palmer        $81,448                 $639,223 2            Gene Littler           $66,201                 $519,562 3            Jack Nicklaus         $61,869                 $485,563 4            Billy Casper            $61,842                 $485,351 5            Bob Goalby            $46,241                 $362,910 6            Gary Player            $45,838                 $359,748 7            Doug Sanders        $43,340                 $340,143 8            Dave Ragan          $37,327                 $292,951 9            Bobby Nichols       $34,312                 $269,288 10          Phil Rodgers          $32,182                 $252,572  
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      Broke par, Lowest Score Wins. 
    • Disadvantage of too stiff a flex?
      I've often thought about going with an X flex driver shaft.  I may get an adapter from My Titleist 910 and experiment.
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      I'd like to claim the "Broke 80" award, as I managed this for the first time December 28th last year.   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT Gross 5 4 4 5 5 3 5 5 5 41(41) Par 4 4 3 5 4 3 4 4 5 36 Distance 353 357 168 465 312 142 389 339 492 3017 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL 5 4 4 4 5 3 5 4 4 38(38) 79 (79) 5 4 4 4 4 3 4 3 4 35 71 479 356 323 355 396 185 309 136 365 2904 5921               Thanks!        
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. TessaEdin
      TessaEdin
      (24 years old)
  • Blog Entries