IGNORED

Players ordered to speed up at British Open

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

So did anyone get hit with a penalty.  I haven't heard anyone talk about this or how the pace of play went for the tourny.

I'm curious to see if the rounds were really any faster.

At least Scott and Gmac were on clock on last day.

On Saturday, Bubba Watson had it going for about 12 holes, with his high wire savant quirkiness, but after three bogeys, he was burning holes with his glare as he watched playing partner Poulter size up every chip and putt from all 360 degrees of every green. You could just feel Bubba's frustration. Slow play has played a role in each of the last two majors. Scott's group gets a warning on Sunday at the Open and Furyk's got one on Sunday at Olympic. Gmac was in both of those groups, but I don't think he's known as a slow player.

I just read the following:

Prior to the start of the US Open, the USGA issued a notice to all players warning against slow play.   The notice stressed that the snail's pace of some players was costing the game popularity, so competitors were instructed to "be observant", reach your decision quickly, and execute your shot with promptness and dispatch".        The USGA's director also said "The time has come when we simply must act if the game is not to be seriously injured.  The thing is getting completely out of hand."

Furthermore, the USGA director indicated that the previous year the first threesome took 3 hours 27 minutes and the last group 4 hours 16 minutes.     "This is just aweful, and it doesn't make sense" said the director.    "It hasn't been so long since 3 hours was considered adequate for a round.   This is murder on spectators as well as on players who wish to play at a reasonable speed."

Now for the punch line.  The above is from the book "Miracle at Merion" by David Barrett, referring to the 1950 US Open.     Sixty two years ago the USGA felt slow play was a major problem, and here we are today with times that seem to be measure in geological terms instead of with a clock.    I find it fascinating that this was thought to be so out of hand over six decades ago, and yet now it is far, far worse!

• Upvote 1

That's why i lol when clowns say that 4 hrs is a good pace and that they're not playing slow...

Peter Alliss is a great storyteller, but he seemed to be serious when he told Feherty that in his first win in 1954, they played 36 holes on Friday so they could get back to their clubhouse duties on the weekend, and his two rounds took just under four hours --- total. He said nobody wanted to play with Bobby Locke, because he took 2:45 to play 18 holes.

Originally Posted by brocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

That's why i lol when clowns say that 4 hrs is a good pace and that they're not playing slow...

Peter Alliss is a great storyteller, but he seemed to be serious when he told Feherty that in his first win in 1954, they played 36 holes on Friday so they could get back to their clubhouse duties on the weekend, and his two rounds took just under four hours --- total. He said nobody wanted to play with Bobby Locke, because he took 2:45 to play 18 holes.

Off topic but did anyone want that guy to just zip it? He was Grandpa Simpson blathering on about the old days.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Off topic but did anyone want that guy to just zip it? He was Grandpa Simpson blathering on about the old days.

What did you expect him to talk about? I thought it was very interesting, and a hundred times better than listening to the deep thoughts of Charlie Rymer and Tripp Isenhour, let alone the fifteenth rerun of Big Break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

What did you expect him to talk about? I thought it was very interesting, and a hundred times better than listening to the deep thoughts of Charlie Rymer and Tripp Isenhour, let alone the fifteenth rerun of Big Break.

I didn't watch all 4 days live so it's possible I only I caught him during his most awkward moments. I have no idea who those other two guys are.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I didn't watch all 4 days live so it's possible I only I caught him during his most awkward moments. I have no idea who those other two guys are.

Apparently we are talking about two different things. I was talking about "Feherty," which is a show on the Golf Channel where David Feherty interviews people in depth, and his guest this week was Alliss, so naturally he would talk about the old days when he was a player. I see now that you were talking about his commentary during the live broadcast of the Open, so your comments make more sense. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Rymer and Isenhour are a couple of chuckleheads to whom GC turns for analysis and commentary almost every day, and they show what happens when you pay your analysts minimum wage. Neither ever won a PGA event, or made a cut in a major. Isenhour is most famous for killing a hawk with a golf ball when he was annoyed by its screeching a few years ago. In his post-round analysis of the Open last week, Isenhour kept referring to the "vagrancies" of links courses. Oh well, at least he was trying. Rymer usually plays it safe, and sticks to words of two syllables or less. I guess the GC management thought that Andrew Magee was too intellectual for its audience. I could mention they both went to GaTech, but it might make someone mad, so I won't.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe they could send a pace group out first (preferably a group of seniors who post at thesandtrap.com since they're widely regarded as the quickest players) and people need to not lose any holes to them.

Great idea.

I volunteer my services.  Where do I sign?

If I don't get 'em round in under 4 I'll eat my hybrid.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• Administrator

Rymer and Isenhour are a couple of chuckleheads to whom GC turns for analysis and commentary almost every day, and they show what happens when you pay your analysts minimum wage. Neither ever won a PGA event, or made a cut in a major. Isenhour is most famous for killing a hawk with a golf ball when he was annoyed by its screeching a few years ago.

Best shot he ever hit. :P

What he did was horrible. I'm not saying the shot was good because he killed a rare and endangered (IIRC) bird. I'm saying hitting a small target from even 50 yards away is pretty impressive.

Unless he was just trying to miss and rattle a ball around in the tree, and he hit the hawk, in which case it's not all that impressive after all, and again reverts to him being 100% ******* instead of 99% *******, 1% great shot.

I wasn't aware they'd both never made a cut in a major. I think I knew they'd never won.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

Yep. Not only that, but now *we're* the ones who are rude for even suggesting that it could or should be faster. (See http://thesandtrap.com/t/60600/golfer-attacked-for-slow-play)

Bill

Note: This thread is 4260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!