IGNORED

Brandel Chamblee (Again) Calls for Tiger to Ditch Sean Foley

iacas
Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The latest Chambliss is that Tiger hits irons well at the range with a tight divot but on the course he is too steep.

Of course, there is a simple fix to shallow out the swing - Foley knows it, Tiger knows it, we know it. It's doing it on the course with a new swing that is the issue.

AND he only has one shot.  AND he can only play flat courses.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

AND he only has one shot.  AND he can only play flat courses.

Yes, that was on tonight's menu, too.

But Tiger did play a draw - I saw one today.

:-)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by walk18

Chamblee doesn't have the credentials to bash Tiger or his coach. What has he done in his career?? At least when Nick Faldo says stuff, whom I also dislike and disagree with btw, at least that guy had a stellar career.

+1

Tiger has 14 majors and 73 more tournament wins than Chamblee.

Tiger has 2 more wins in 2012 than Chamblee has in his whole career.

The Golf Channel really needs to dump this clown and get Holly Sonders more air time.

Originally Posted by ay33660

+1

Tiger has 14 majors and 73 more tournament wins than Chamblee.

Tiger has 2 more wins in 2012 than Chamblee has in his whole career.

The Golf Channel really needs to dump this clown and get Holly Sonders more air time.

That's it - Holly is far more qualified to talk about breast augmentation than Tiger...

:-)

Really, using your logic, no one but Jack or the dead Sam Snead could criticize  Tiger's game.

uh, no.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by brocks

You sure about that? He's very likely seen more than she has.

I was going by their logic.

I see Woods problems with wedge shots and putting.  He cannot hit the wedge shots close.  There was a time when he did not miss inside of 15 feet.  Now iffy from 5 feet.  Needs a short game coach more that a Foley ball striker coach.  Why can't you see that?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

"The jobs are never coming back to America," said Steve Jobs when asked by Obama about bringing jobs in China to US.

Same can be said of Tiger going back to Harmon for many reasons, one being their super ego would clash.

Tiger is an anal-yzer and tinkerer of his golf swing, and that is the chief reason for his changes; he wants better swing today to win more today than yesterday. His mind works differently than that of his critics other Tour players. If he had a choice, he would love to win by 10 or 15 strokes.

As all of you know there are no perfect golf swings, but we all need one that works well. With Tiger's talent and work ethic, he has made changes under 3 distinct coaches and won. That should speak volumes.

Lastly, IMHO, his putting hasn't been up to his old brilliant self along with short game.

The most interesting comment I heard all week about Tiger's game was by Nobilo, who said Tiger played all week to avoid his weakness. And his weakness right now is not his driver, but his wedge game. So Tiger's decision to play irons off most tees was not dictated by how he was hitting his driver, which after all has been good in 2012, but because of how he is hitting his wedges. Not sure I buy that that is Tiger's mindset but it can't be denied that Tiger is struggling with his wedge game right now.

The most interesting comment I heard all week about Tiger's game was by Nobilo, who said Tiger played all week to avoid his weakness. And his weakness right now is not his driver, but his wedge game. So Tiger's decision to play irons off most tees was not dictated by how he was hitting his driver, which after all has been good in 2012, but because of how he is hitting his wedges.

That is the [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/60403/2012-british-open-discussion-thread/216#post_746017]stupidest thing I've ever heard.[/URL] ;-)

Needs a short game coach more that a Foley ball striker coach.  Why can't you see that?

That may be true now, but only because of the very significant improvement that Foley has brought to Tiger's ball striking. As they shift emphasis to his short game, it will improve. If he can pick up two shots a round by controlling his distances better, he will be back to dominating, even if his putting gets no better. Sorry, I forgot to combine these last two posts. If there were a way to delete a post in the edit time window, I would.

Originally Posted by bigoak

I see Woods problems with wedge shots and putting.  He cannot hit the wedge shots close.  There was a time when he did not miss inside of 15 feet.  Now iffy from 5 feet.  Needs a short game coach more that a Foley ball striker coach.  Why can't you see that?

And despite these weaknesses he is the current favorite to win Player of the Year, has risen to #2 in the world (and is just a small fraction behind Donald if we ignore the 40 event denominator) and is the only player with 3 PGA Tour wins so far this year.  And despite the concerns about his putting he is just outside of the top 20 in strokes gained in putting.

When (not if, when) he gets his distance control back with the wedges the other players should be very very afraid.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

When (not if, when) he gets his distance control back with the wedges the other players should be very very afraid.

Are you as baffled as I am at the number of "experts" who think last week was a disaster for Tiger? I realize that he's looking for wins, not high finishes, but how can anyone look at this progression and conclude that his chances are [URL=http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidlariviere/2012/07/23/percentages-dwindling-in-tiger-woods-quest-for-majors-mark/]dwindling?[/URL] 2011 US Open --- DNP (injury) 2011 British Open --- DNP (injury) 2011 PGA --- MC 2012 Masters --- T40 2012 US Open --- T21 2012 British Open --- T3 You don't need a math degree to recognize that as a positive trend. And if that's not enough, the Rory Era has fizzled out, and the last two Open champs have been 42 years old. So if Tiger can manage to keep himself in as good shape as Darren Clarke for the next six years, and can find a couple shots a round, say one more sand save and one more close wedge per round, who is going to stop him? As I keep saying, he doesn't need to get back to his 2000 form, and win 3 majors per year. He just needs to get back to his average form, and win one major per year. That would give him 20 majors by age 42. Throw in the fact that it seems more and more likely that the long putters will be going away soon, and IMO he's a lock to break both Snead's and Jack's records before he's 40 --- always barring serious injury. 8 months ago, when he failed to close out the Australian Open, people were wondering if he could ever string four good rounds together again. Tiger was ridiculed for saying it was a process -- that you first did it on the range, then in practice rounds, then in competition, then on Sunday, then in majors. It took him well under a year to progress to the point that he now has more wins than anyone else this year, and he's clearly the best golfer in the world again. He's at the stage in majors where he was just eight months ago in weak-field events. Unless his progress comes to a screeching halt, he's only months away from winning majors any week he's on his game.

• Upvote 1

The problem with Tiger is people compare him with the pre-2010 Tiger to his present game.

His new swing is better, but he needs more than a cut to be "Tiger." With his talent, people won't rest until he hits a draw and cut - high, medium and low. The criticism last week is that he is too steep on the downswing and needs to take a wood out once in a while.

He also needs work on his wedges and putting.

People want old Tiger with a new swing, but old short game.

Three wins, five top-10's out of 13 events, first on the money list.

If it were anyone else but Tiger that would be a great year. And, frankly, even that it is Tiger, it's still a pretty damn good year.

I don't think Chamblee's comment was much of an attack @ Tiger as it is against Foley..  Remove Tiger from Sean Foley's resume and what is left?  Sean coaches a handful of players, the 2 most notable being Rose and Mahan.  O'Hair left Foley and what has Ames done of late?  Has Sean taken C quality or B quality players and turned them into AAA quality?  I think not..  Personally I think using Tiger as the product of Sean's coaching is like coach Caldwell taking credit for Peyton Manninng's success..  I'm not sold that Sean Foley is the "be all , end all" of swing coaches.. I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but lets be honest here, Tiger will make any coach look good.. Personally this year, I think Tiger's success is more attributed to playing smart golf (like how he managed the Open), then just pure swing talent..

I don't think Chamblee's comment was much of an attack @ Tiger as it is against Foley..  Remove Tiger from Sean Foley's resume and what is left?  Sean coaches a handful of players, the 2 most notable being Rose and Mahan.  O'Hair left Foley and what has Ames done of late?  Has Sean taken C quality or B quality players and turned them into AAA quality?  I think not..  Personally I think using Tiger as the product of Sean's coaching is like coach Caldwell taking credit for Peyton Manninng's success..  I'm not sold that Sean Foley is the "be all , end all" of swing coaches.. I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but lets be honest here, Tiger will make any coach look good.. Personally this year, I think Tiger's success is more attributed to playing smart golf (like how he managed the Open), then just pure swing talent..

Really? Because i think his swing with Haney looked awful. If you can't see how much better it is now then maybe that's why you said that...

Colin P.

Really? Because i think his swing with Haney looked awful. If you can't see how much better it is now then maybe that's why you said that...

But no one cares what his swing looks like, it's whether he is winning or not. Tiger has dominated fields with three different swings.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!