• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmartin461

Hypothetical - Same Divot While Practicing

8 posts in this topic

If a really good player who can control the low point takes a divot 2-3 inches in front of the ball then in theory they could place a tee in the ground and put the ball in the same place every time.  The second shot would have the club go into the previous divot and nothing would be taken from the ground.

If this is true, why does this not really happen? The professionals, who are like surgeons, seem to use up a 1 foot X 1 foot area of turf or more when they are warming up.

Is this because people need the divot feedback/feel?

Just wondering, I am not consistent enough to try it yet.

Brad

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

The results are different hitting off a tee.  For example, on shorter par 3's where I may not have an ideal club I will sometimes decide to tee off without using a tee, this way I can lose a few yards.  Since you will only use a tee 18 times during a round it's not beneficial to tee up every shot on a range prior to playing your round.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Motown88

The results are different hitting off a tee.  For example, on shorter par 3's where I may not have an ideal club I will sometimes decide to tee off without using a tee, this way I can lose a few yards.  Since you will only use a tee 18 times during a round it's not beneficial to tee up every shot on a range prior to playing your round.

No, the tee in the ground would represent where to put the ball each time.   Given the club would strike the ball, then the ground a few inches forward of that spot, it should remain undisturbed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

But the ball is still on a tee.  There is less friction with the surface of the tee then there is when the ball is on the ground itself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Motown88

But the ball is still on a tee...

The ball is not on a tee. The OP is talking about using a tee to mark where to put the ball for each iron shot during practice. The theory being that since really good players never hit the ball fat, they would never take a divot directly under where the ball is, therefore they could always replace the ball exactly where the previous one was, and the divot size would never increase. What you actually see though, is they move the ball back a bit each time, or over, so the divot area grows for each shot.

OP, I think you answered the question yourself - they're used to the feel of the club taking a divot, so want to take one each time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because you still take a little turf. Low point might be four inches in front of the ball but you still take an inch of turf directly under and towards the front of the golf ball. You can do this a little bit with the tee but you'll tend to catch the tee now and then and it'll wiggle around and make a hole that isn't going to hold up a tee.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

The ball is not on a tee. The OP is talking about using a tee to mark where to put the ball for each iron shot during practice. The theory being that since really good players never hit the ball fat, they would never take a divot directly under where the ball is, therefore they could always replace the ball exactly where the previous one was, and the divot size would never increase. What you actually see though, is they move the ball back a bit each time, or over, so the divot area grows for each shot.

OP, I think you answered the question yourself - they're used to the feel of the club taking a divot, so want to take one each time.

My apologies, I must have read the OP wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

Because you still take a little turf. Low point might be four inches in front of the ball but you still take an inch of turf directly under and towards the front of the golf ball. You can do this a little bit with the tee but you'll tend to catch the tee now and then and it'll wiggle around and make a hole that isn't going to hold up a tee.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0