IGNORED

Places to play in Michigan?

Note: This thread is 5120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm glad this thread has come back as I was about to post a question along this line. Last year at the Indy Golf Expo I picked up a brochure and price list for Gull Lake View and Stonehenge stay and play packages. I liked this one to try first with my 4-some because it's only 3 hrs north of us and we can see how the weather is going to be as to say RTJ Trail being 8-10 hrs away. Anyone with info on the courses and the villa's at Gull Lake would be greatlly appreceated

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recomend any of these courses for the Metro area...

two great ones in Oxford about 45 min north not to far off I-75...

Copper Hills
http://copperhills.com/view.asp?id=244&page;=4735

Boulder Pointe
http://www.boulderpointe.net/?

South of Detroit we have another couple nice ones near Ann Arbor...

Eagle Crest
http://www.eaglecrestresort.com/

The Majestic
http://www.majesticgolf.com/view.asp?id=192&page;=3294

If you are looking for a place to stop on the way up from WV... you might consider staying and playing here (just outside Toledo)...

http://www.maumeebayresort.com/golf-1044.html
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Another good course in SE Michigan is the Orchards

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I have played Gull Lake View, East Course; Gull Lake View West Course; Gull Lake View, Stonehedge Course and Gull Lake View, Marywood Course. All are very nice. I have not stayed there as I live about 1 hour away. I would suggest that you include The Medalist Golf Club, Marshall, MI as one of the courses you must play while in the Battle Creek area.

If you or somebody in your group has a University of Michigan affiliation, I'd suggest a round at either U-M course. The main course is an old Alister Mackenzie track. The other, called Radrick Farms, was designed by Pete Dye. Both are quite fun to play.

speaking of the battle creek area bedford valley is nice and is also a part of the gull lake view family of courses. i would also recommend that you play yarrrow if you are in the area.

I will be at the Indy Golf Expo in Feb, that's where I first heard of Gull Lake View. I'm sure the Michigan golf both will be there again this year and I will check into all the course's mentioned. Hopefully I'll get my group tp come up for a weekend once or twice this comming summer. Thanks again

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

I will be at the Indy Golf Expo in Feb, that's where I first heard of Gull Lake View. I'm sure the Michigan golf both will be there again this year and I will check into all the course's mentioned. Hopefully I'll get my group tp come up for a weekend once or twice this comming summer. Thanks again

if you plan a golf trip to Michigan... Gull Lake is nice and all... but I would consider the extra 3-4 hour drive to reach Northern Michigan where golf is at its absolute best.

I have golfed in quite a few regions and Northern Michigan is still my favorite. Nothing beats some of the big courses carved through mature forest... or if you're real lucky the links-esq setups at Arcadia Bluffs and Bay Harbor.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

First post everyone. Some buddies and I have done 2 Michigan trips 2007, and 2008. We try to go the first week of the fall season to get reduced rates as some of the courses we choose to play can be a little pricey.

Courses played: Arcadia, Bay Harbor (Links & Quarry), Manistee National (Cutters Ridge), Forest Dunes, Threetops, Treetops (Masterpiece), True North, Tullymore, and Black Lake.

#1 Without a doubt is Arcadia. The guys won't go on the trip unless we are playing this course.
#2 True North. Played this last year and it was beautiful, lots of elevation changes, well manicured, and some difficult holes.
#3 Forest Dunes. This is located in the center of the state, perfect place to stop on your way up North for your first round. One of the nicest manicured courses I've ever played.
#4 Bay Harbor. Although they were aerating the fairways when we played it was a great experience and a very nice layout overlooking the bay.

Tullymore was a nice course and very challenging. We had crappy weather and finished in the dark so I would like to play that one again on a nice day.

Also played lots of nice ones in SE Michigan. We have a traveling golf league and I am the one who sets up the courses. Coyote Preserve, The Grande, Moose Ridge just to name a few.

Hope this helps.

First post everyone. Some buddies and I have done 2 Michigan trips 2007, and 2008. We try to go the first week of the fall season to get reduced rates as some of the courses we choose to play can be a little pricey.

For making only two Michigan trips, you have chosen some great courses. I hope you chose to come back for more. There are still plenty more to play, although they may be a let down after Arcadia.

Right now we are burried under a lot of snow with temps dropping into the single digits tonight.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Has anyone played some of the courses in the U.P. namely: Sweetgrass, Timberstone, or Greywalls. Just wondering how some of these compare to other Northern Michigan golf.

Greywalls looks really interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
We also do a golf weekend every year here in Michigan. We usually go over to Battle Creek and stay at Yarrow. The rooms you stay in are right over the first hole, which is pretty sweet. I would recommend playing Yarrow for sure. The best course I have played though has to be Arcadia Bluffs. This coures was absolutley amazing!!! Another course I didn't see mentioned was The Grande. This course is in Jackson and is in my opinion one of the best in Lower Michigan.

I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and have played most of my golf there, if you are looking to play some public places that are not part of a resort here are some good places in Detroit area:

Shepard's Hollow, Clarkston: Enough said by everyone else, this is first rate.

Pine Knob, Clarkston: Great course, it is definitely worth a stop if you are in the area.

Fieldstone, Auburn Hills: This is my favorite course in the area, it was designed by Arthur Hills and is definitely a gem at a decent price, it also serves as the qualifier for the Buick Open.

Blackheath, Rochester: Amazing links style course, hosted the US Amateur sectional qualifier and deigned by the same designer as the Gailes, one of my favorites in the area.

Twin Lakes, Oakland: Another one of my favorites, great conditions and some beautiful holes with a difficult layout.

And here are some more great courses in the area:
-Boulder Pointe, Oxford
-Devil's Ridge, Oxford
-Copper Hills, Oxford

• 2 months later...

Our Summer Trip has been booked. We have 8 guys this time. Should be incredible. Thoughts on courses, although all discussed in the thread, are still always appreciated:

Friday, July 17: Cook's Creek (Columbus, OH)
Saturday, July 18: Eagle Eye & Hawk Hollow
Sunday, July 19: Alpine & Monument (Boyne)
Monday, July 20: Heather & Hills (Boyne)
Tuesday, July 21: Bay Harbor (all 3 nines)
Wednesday, July 22: Ross & Moor (Boyne)
Thursday, July 23: Crooked Tree (x 2)
Friday, July 24: Heather again & Hills again (a scramble to finish the trip)

15 rounds in 8 days.

Eagle Eye is an amazing course. There are some gigantic bunkers, and even a par 3 island green like the TPC.

I would recommend playing Hawk Hollow first, that way you won't be let down when you go from Eagle Eye to Hawk Hollow.

Hawk Hollow is a nice course on it's own, but it's not in the same league as Eagle Eye.

Eagle Eye is an amazing course. There are some gigantic bunkers, and even a par 3 island green like the TPC.

would it really matter... I mean they're playing like 10-12 more rounds that week, including Bay Harbor. Personally I like playing the nicest course in the morning that way afternoon rounds can be geared towards ryder cup matches, gambling, or other fun stuff, and I usually play best on my first 18. I guess it's just a preference thing... either way, none of the courses on his list are "bad" courses.

The only thing I don't uderstand is playing Crooked Tree twice, why not someplace else... not like there is any shortage of area courses.

Note: This thread is 5120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!