IGNORED

Experience with teaching girlfriends how to golf?

CollegeGolfer
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Let her take lessons. Trust me, she will resent you for pushing her to do things correctly, in a way she never would with a swing coach.

Or

Teach her the bare basics. Grip, stance, posture, let her learn the rest as she goes along, and give her advice, only when she asks for it.

Yes Man you are so RIGHT. LISTEN TO APOC G10'S ADVICE. ONLY GIVE ADVICE WHEN SHE ASKS FOR IT. IF YOU ARE TO SERIOUS, IT TAKES THE FUN OUT OF GOLF FOR HER AND SHE WILL NOT WANT TO PLAY WITH YOU ANYMORE.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

in my experience women are much better learners of things that they've never done before than men. shooting and golf are two of these things. they listen better and don't use a bunch of preconceived things to get in the way of learning.

I agree. My wife is always open to try to do anything I tell her, and she will often solicite my advice on course, usually about stance and alignment. Sometimes after a bad shot she will ask me what she did.

Another thing that I think makes women good golf students is they don't try to come out of their shoes when swinging, which most of us guys are guilty of.

dak4n6

Been there -

Pay for her lessons.

Show her putting, but teach her one fundamental at a time, and only when she asks. Let her do her thing. Have a putting contest, she'll see you're good, and will ask questions. But always back away. No smothering allowed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

oh i forgot to mention, have little competitions that she can (theoretically) win. putting and chipping can be equalizers that will make her feel good if she gives you a run for your money.

we'll go 20' away and chip in. black is 1 point, yellow is 5 and red is 10. half points if you bounce it in. 10 balls per round, best of however long you want to play.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

I took my now ex girlfriend golfing once. I had shown her like the extreme basics like grip, not moving her head and a few really little things. She was able to hit balls decently and I told her I was not really the right person to teach her and that she should get lessons.

I ran into trouble when she wanted to go play. I told her some golf etiquette before we went, but it must not have stuck. We played at a par 3 course and she got really frustrated at how bad she was. When another group caught up to us and she had already had 10+ strokes on one hole I told her she needed to pick up her ball so that we could get out of the group behind us way and let them play through. She flipped her ****ing lid on me!

Moral of the story... it obviously depends on your girls personality but approach with EXTREME CAUTION.

:whistle:

If you have a pro or swing coach you work with, take her to this person for a couple of lessons.  Then, you can help her as the game develops. You will both be "speaking the same language" because of a common swing coach.

I respect the fact you have a 3.6 HDCP, but playing well and being able to teach golf are two different things.

If she is smaller physically, look into petite clubs for women - just like petite clothing lines. Petite clubs have shafts which are an inch shorter than normal, and flatter lie angles. Petites are designed for women 5-foot-2 and under (which, according to my wife, is about half the population of adult US women). Adams offers the Square Two line with a petite version; other OEMs make petites also.

Suggestion: Once she starts to get the swing down, start her off on a par 3 course. The emphasis will be on short game and scoring, rather than hitting the ball a long way.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My girlfriend just recently got into golf.  She started on a pretty easy par 3 course and has shot pretty well.  I took her to a real course with lots of bunkers and water and lets just say that that didn't go so hot.  Luckily my gf likes to practice on her own with plastic golf balls.  Just teach her the basics, so that she is practicing "right."  My gf has been picking it up fast (150 yard 5 iron shots).  Make it fun, and something that you both enjoy.  Honestly I love teaching.  There is nothing better then demonstrating something and then watching her stick one on the green from 100 out.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxzH3Ov_VUA

"This is my nightmare!"

That's funny as hell and all too true...

my wife is not allowed to play around me.  She is not allowed to play in the same group as me and is not allowed to play in front of me on the course.  If she was allowed, we would have been divorced already.  She doesnt understand that it isnt ok to stop and chat on the fairway or hit the ball 46 times while there are people waiting on the tee box.  She can play all she wants, but I wont teacher her or help her.  It leads to fights, lol.

Lessons is the best way to go.  Cheap clubs is also the best way to go.

My brother has the same stance as me.  The ladies used to play in front of us, so we could tell them to hurry up of they were too slow.  That ended quickly.  One time my brothers wife actually hit me with her ball while teeing off.  I was on the green that was behind and to the left of her.  So she hit the ball backwards to hit me in the inner thigh about an inch from my cubes.  I had a giant welt and it was black and blue for weeks.  did i mention it was about an inch from my cubes?

Just tell her that golf requires shoes and there's already a girl running the kitchen - she's not allowed to play!

Just kidding!

Good luck man, that's pretty cool that she's even interested. My wife occasionally says she'd like to play with me but I definitely have a feeling that I'd go out and buy a full set of the "Wilson Pink Ribbon"s for her and they would immediately collect dust.

Originally Posted by MajorSlice

my wife is not allowed to play around me.  She is not allowed to play in the same group as me and is not allowed to play in front of me on the course.  If she was allowed, we would have been divorced already.  She doesnt understand that it isnt ok to stop and chat on the fairway or hit the ball 46 times while there are people waiting on the tee box.  She can play all she wants, but I wont teacher her or help her.  It leads to fights, lol.

Lessons is the best way to go.  Cheap clubs is also the best way to go.

My brother has the same stance as me.  The ladies used to play in front of us, so we could tell them to hurry up of they were too slow.  That ended quickly.  One time my brothers wife actually hit me with her ball while teeing off.  I was on the green that was behind and to the left of her.  So she hit the ball backwards to hit me in the inner thigh about an inch from my cubes.  I had a giant welt and it was black and blue for weeks.  did i mention it was about an inch from my cubes?

I apparently played behind your wife and her boyfriend on the side, Monday....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Spyder

Just tell her that golf requires shoes and there's already a girl running the kitchen - she's not allowed to play!

Just kidding!

Good luck man, that's pretty cool that she's even interested. My wife occasionally says she'd like to play with me but I definitely have a feeling that I'd go out and buy a full set of the "Wilson Pink Ribbon"s for her and they would immediately collect dust.

If you tell her it requires shoes, that simply means 1 thing:  SHOE SHOPPING!

She'll end up with 18 pairs of golf shoes.

Originally Posted by NotPortlyNJ

If you tell her it requires shoes, that simply means 1 thing:  SHOE SHOPPING!

She'll end up with 18 pairs of golf shoes.

Knowing my girlfriend... that is very accurate... I'll just let her wear sneakers for now.  She doesn't have much of a powerful swing, so I don't think she'll absolutely need the stability. :X

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I apparently played behind your wife and her boyfriend on the side, Monday....

Lol.  I seems to play behind them all the time too.

My wife has already declared that her 1 yr old FJ shoes are inadequate and got a new pair of Nikes - $100, although she 'saved' $40 cause they were on sale..

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

Ok, so if I want to teach her how to play, then I need too...

• Not mention shoes
  • Don't push her to much, let her learn at her own pace
  • Not mention shoes
  • And, not mention shoes

I think I got it. :-)

Good luck CG!

As far as activities we do together, nothing beats when we finish a round where she played well and is all glowing and in a great mood, have a couple drinks at the 19th hole, and is usually followed up by more 'together activities' when we get home

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Good luck CG!

As far as activities we do together, nothing beats when we finish a round where she played well and is all glowing and in a great mood, have a couple drinks at the 19th hole, and is usually followed up by more 'together activities' when we get home

TMI

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!