IGNORED

Experience with teaching girlfriends how to golf?

CollegeGolfer
Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Equating mastery of an activity or area of knowledge with fitness to teach that activity or area of knowledge is a silly and often baseless assumption.

I had a professor in college who was a Nobel finalist - probably the smartest human being whom I've ever been around in my entire life.  First day of class, we had people sitting in the aisles of a 180-seat lecture hall.  But no one could understand a damn thing he tried to mumble to us (and he was a native English speaker).  Five weeks later, at the start of class, there were 14 of us in the lecture hall.  After 10 minutes, I was the seventh one to walk out of the class, since it was pointless to spend time in class straining to hear a genius who could not even explain adequately how to open the book to the correct chapter.

If expertise at playing golf must be commensurate with ability to teach golf successfully, how is it that we have any top-100 instuctors coaching PGA pros and giving others lessons?  Surely if they have to be brilliant at playing to teach others, they would all be out making the leaderboards on the PGA, LPGA and Senior tours every week, making millions, instead of adjusting other people's grips and commenting on their hip rotations, no?

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

My fiancee just enjoys going to the course with me. Actually enjoys it..yes.

Sure I pay the extra fee..but it's worth it..she's a good spectator.

my wife loves to ride around with me and take her camera out to get some nice shots of the course and nature. she'll grab the occasional club for me or help me find a ball. it's better for me than playing by myself.

this transitioned into her wanting to play more and play legitimate 18 hole courses instead of little executive courses.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

I'll say this again: There are very, very few people that visit this site that have any business trying to teach a rank beginner the golf swing. Give a few tips? Maybe. Take a player from never having swung a club to a proficient golfer? No effen' way.

Hey, ask the swing gurus on this site (Erik, et al) what they think about someone who can't break 80 from 72/1xx rated tees teaching the golf swing to a beginner. I don't even think they'll weigh in. You might get your feelings hurt.

You're listed as a 5. I guess that only makes you half as stupid as a 10? Congratulations.

Hogan didn't believe it required lessons to break 80, and that anyone could do it if they applied themselves.

He had a great quote too: "Teaching, you know, isn't the worst way to get things straight yourself". I believe the man with the best swing of all time probably has some business dictating how the swing should be learned.

OP: It's a risky proposition. Buy her a copy of Hogan's Five Lessons, make her read it start to finish and reread it yourself to make sure your own stuff jives. Teach her some basics yourself, being consistent with the book. If she ever questions you or blames you, she can't argue with the book. If she gets frustrated, it'll probably be at a dead man instead of you. Plus she'll be able to teach herself and refer to the text, which will end up a lot better than having to obey and listen to you. Have her use video so she can see she moves her head or breaks her elbow (Dear God they never listen to THAT tip) or whatever, so you don't get bitten for mentioning it yourself. Stay away from the course for a while, especially a full length course; get some drills and range time, and work on the short game until she's respectable around the greens. And don't mention shoes.

EDIT: And don't make her do the drill where she swings a broom, they take offense to that.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Serious overthink all around here.

go out have fun, keep it light.  give her a couple of pointer at the beginning, keep it simple.  If she asks for more, help.  go to the range beat some balls, putt a little.  If she has fun it could be rewarding for the both of you.  If she really gets into it get her some lessons.

I see that you're a college student, go out have fun and don't listen to the old farts.  If you can play golf with her she might be a keeper.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

To all women:   Men dream about a woman that simply enjoys the game of golf and is a pleasure to play with (I know I've had this dream).  Its not even about how well you learn to play the game (because we all know the last reason we brought you was for competition).  The reason men want to share their interests in golf is because of the joys, heartaches, frustrations, and rewards that sadly bring us satisfaction.  All men ask is that you come, you participate, you give it your best effort, and try to have fun. We are letting you peek into our adolescent minds and see what makes us tick.  We want you to somehow get a better understanding of how we enjoy ourselves outside of your "death gripping" boundaries.  Seriously, I think every guy on this forum can agree with that.

To all men:   The reality however is, if your wife/girlfriend/female is learning this game because of your interest in golf and not hers, IT WILL NEVER WORK.  I can assure you, your significant other will only compound your frustrations on the course.  It is not possible for a female to enjoy you, while you engage in something you enjoy.  They see it as competition for your time, attention, and money they could otherwise be spending on themselves.  They will sabotage this wonderful day you have planned, and attempt to create all manner of confusion inside your head full of mush.  You see, women are selfish to the core.  It is fantasy to think you can teach a woman anything about what this game means to you.

The outcome:   After you attempt this dreadfully unnecessary process of teaching a female anything, there are two possible outcomes.  1) The lesser men will be convinced by their significant other that this time bandit of a game should be categorized as "less important than she is."  He will unwillingly have to lay down his hobby to pursue her interests, and reluctantly begin hanging his nuts on the door when he enters his home from that point forward.  2) The men with more testicular fortitude will begin to understand their mistake early in the first hole, and will not be able to un-say those harsh (but true) words of "this was a mistake."  That will lead all manner of hell being unleashed upon him for the remaining 17 holes.  As you can see, neither outcomes are the least bit appealing, leading me to my conclusion below...

Conclusion:   Golf is a game that is meant to be enjoyed.  To further complicate an already complicated game is not only foolish, it is unnecessary.  Please do not attempt to include your female companion in this part of your life's journey, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

This is hilarious. Did you time travel here from the 19th century?

dak4n6

To all women:   Men dream about a woman that simply enjoys the game of golf and is a pleasure to play with (I know I've had this dream).  Its not even about how well you learn to play the game (because we all know the last reason we brought you was for competition).  The reason men want to share their interests in golf is because of the joys, heartaches, frustrations, and rewards that sadly bring us satisfaction.  All men ask is that you come, you participate, you give it your best effort, and try to have fun. We are letting you peek into our adolescent minds and see what makes us tick.  We want you to somehow get a better understanding of how we enjoy ourselves outside of your "death gripping" boundaries.  Seriously, I think every guy on this forum can agree with that.

To all men:   The reality however is, if your wife/girlfriend/female is learning this game because of your interest in golf and not hers, IT WILL NEVER WORK.  I can assure you, your significant other will only compound your frustrations on the course.  It is not possible for a female to enjoy you, while you engage in something you enjoy.  They see it as competition for your time, attention, and money they could otherwise be spending on themselves.  They will sabotage this wonderful day you have planned, and attempt to create all manner of confusion inside your head full of mush.  You see, women are selfish to the core.  It is fantasy to think you can teach a woman anything about what this game means to you.

The outcome:   After you attempt this dreadfully unnecessary process of teaching a female anything, there are two possible outcomes.  1) The lesser men will be convinced by their significant other that this time bandit of a game should be categorized as "less important than she is."  He will unwillingly have to lay down his hobby to pursue her interests, and reluctantly begin hanging his nuts on the door when he enters his home from that point forward.  2) The men with more testicular fortitude will begin to understand their mistake early in the first hole, and will not be able to un-say those harsh (but true) words of "this was a mistake."  That will lead all manner of hell being unleashed upon him for the remaining 17 holes.  As you can see, neither outcomes are the least bit appealing, leading me to my conclusion below...

Conclusion:   Golf is a game that is meant to be enjoyed.  To further complicate an already complicated game is not only foolish, it is unnecessary.  Please do not attempt to include your female companion in this part of your life's journey, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Loosely translated as: " Get off my golf course, get in the kitchen and make my sandwich"

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

My experience with teaching girlfriends/wives to golf is a bad idea.  Buy them lessons from a pro and if you're a pro buy the lessons from another pro.  In all cases get out of the loop.

Butch

Originally Posted by dak4n6

This is hilarious. Did you time travel here from the 19th century?

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Loosely translated as: " Get off my golf course, get in the kitchen and make my sandwich"

No, but I married a humdinger of a female.  I love her to death, but...  lets just say damn good looking does not = considerate, self-less, & understanding.  I wrote that post mainly for enjoyment, but mostly from experiance.  Not every man is blessed enuff to find a perfect woman.

Men, we fall into one of two catagories:  you are either one of the fortunate ones who doesnt realize how whipped into shape you are, or you haven't been married long enough to see the needy side of a woman.  Ten years and a few kids into a marriage and she'll try to have you tuned up like a NASCAR.  It's in their genetics...

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

• Administrator

No, but I married a humdinger of a female.  I love her to death, but...  lets just say damn good looking does not = considerate, self-less, & understanding.  I wrote that post mainly for enjoyment, but mostly from experiance.  Not every man is blessed enuff to find a perfect woman.

Men, we fall into one of two catagories:  you are either one of the fortunate ones who doesnt realize how whipped into shape you are, or you haven't been married long enough to see the needy side of a woman.  Ten years and a few kids into a marriage and she'll try to have you tuned up like a NASCAR.  It's in their genetics...

Maybe you should change your avatar. I suggest something like this:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Maybe you should change your avatar. I suggest something like this:

What is all this "holier than thou" shit your throwing??  Your post (#64) says "Don't"...  as if to say "don't attempt to take your woman to play golf with you."  You then followed it up with a quote you deemed hilarious about how its always the guys fault.  Have you changed sides now?

Maybe you should change your avatar to a bandwagon...

What is all this "holier than thou" shit your throwing??  Your post (#64) says "Don't"...  as if to say "don't attempt to take your woman to play golf with you."  You then followed it up with a quote you deemed hilarious about how its always the guys fault.  Have you changed sides now?

he's not saying that he recommends you teach a wife/girlfriend golf, just that the content of your last few posts paint you as a bit....let's call it "old-fashioned" in some of your views.

he's not alone, as you can see by the other posts responding to yours.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

My wife took up the game about 6 months ago. I've been playing since I was 5. Fortunately, I know I suck at teaching things like golf, so after a couple of range sessions and trips to the 9 hole executive course, I turned her over to a professional... When we play together, I try to refrain from commenting too much unless there's a glaring fault that's getting her frustrated. She's improved a lot since she started and is definitely hooked. However, I still only play about every other round with her because I need time with the guys, LOL.

:tmade: R11 9* Blur Stiff --- R11 14* 3w Blur Stiff --- Rescue 11 21* Aldila RIP Stiff :tmade: Tour Preferred CB 3i-6i --- MC 7i --- MB 8i-PW - Project X Flighted 6.0, custom lie and lofts :vokey: Oil Can 52.08 --- Oil Can 56.11 --- Oil Can 60.07 :cameron: 1996 Catalina - Custom specs made @ :titleist:

Originally Posted by tiger187126

he's not saying that he recommends you teach a wife/girlfriend golf, just that the content of your last few posts paint you as a bit....let's call it "old-fashioned" in some of your views.

he's not alone, as you can see by the other posts responding to yours.

I agree with everything you just said.  I also understood exactly what iacas and others were insinuating.  Thank you for saying it with taste instead of an unprofessional barrage of insults.  There tends to be a high school method of ganging up and throwing a punch in these forums when someone is getting attacked for his personal opinion.

My post was merely to tell a humorous version of my efforts in the adventure of teaching my wife to play golf.  Obviously I miscalculated the age and maturity of the audiance.  It is also entirely possible they are among the men I spoke of that check their manhood at the door when they go home.

I agree with everything you just said.  I also understood exactly what iacas and others were insinuating.  Thank you for saying it with taste instead of an unprofessional barrage of insults.  There tends to be a high school method of ganging up and throwing a punch in these forums when someone is getting attacked for his personal opinion.

My post was merely to tell a humorous version of my efforts in the adventure of teaching my wife to play golf.  Obviously I miscalculated the age and maturity of the audiance.  It is also entirely possible they are among the men I spoke of that check their manhood at the door when they go home.

You're offended by those responses?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

"Don't" = Get a professional to teach her, thus relieving you of the responsibility for being at fault.

No holier than thou stuff. And I don't call my wife "my woman" either. Your calendar appears to be off by a century or more.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

"Don't" = Get a professional to teach her, thus relieving you of the responsibility for being at fault.

No holier than thou stuff. And I don't call my wife "my woman" either.  Your calendar appears to be off by a century or more.

I forget most of you are northerners...

We slap our bitches around here and tell 'em to cook us some supper. I mean really, you guys could work for the democratic party the way you've mis-construed what I've said!

• Administrator

I mean really, you guys could work for the democratic party the way you've mis-construed what I've said!

Uhhh... yeah. I don't think that's what's happening here.

• Upvote 1

Just got back from playing 9 with the wifey.  We were supposed to play 18 but she wanted to quit at the turn (always does).  I played pretty well . .making 4 pars, 2 bogeys a double and 2 quads.  My wife made at least triple on every hole, quit on half of them and was pretty much pissed off the whole time because a year ago, when she practiced regularly for a few months, she could hit them better.  This is pretty much how it goes everytime.  Are you sure you want to teach your girlfriend?

Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!