IGNORED

Experimenting with the "Baseball" Grip

Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey that sounds like an interesting concept ...think I'll give the reverse overlap a try on a practice round....sounds like the best of both worlds : the power of the right hand dominant combined with the control of a unified two handed grip....but "by their fruit yee shall know them"....so I gotta give it a go!!

Thanks!!

I too was just inspired to give it a try....

BTW although I am short, I have large hands ...I wear an XL glove and use mid-size grips on my scoring irons and putter...will probably change to same mid size when I replace iron grips throughout the bag next time...

It wasnt a shot so much as it was just stating the truth.  The vast majority of golf instructors will try to steer you away from the interlock for the reasons that I stated above.  Most high handicappers dont use their hands enough and an interlocking grip is only going to limit their wrist action, so its not a good grip for them. Im sorry that some people cant accept the fact that the interlock isnt the end-all, be-all despite the fact that Jack and Tiger use it.

So, just to make sure I've got this...... Some of the top players in the world, past and present, use it, but if an instructor teaches it as his initial grip of choice to his students, it indicates that he doesn't know what he's doing. Huh. :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm new to golf as of February. I started with the baseball grip before switching to the interlock. With interlock I started hitting straighter then as I developed more club head speed I started slicing. I recently went back to baseball as I can control the club head of my irons a lot easier. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's why I have developed a nasty slice with the driver.

I'm new to golf as of February. I started with the baseball grip before switching to the interlock. With interlock I started hitting straighter then as I developed more club head speed I started slicing. I recently went back to baseball as I can control the club head of my irons a lot easier. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's why I have developed a nasty slice with the driver.

Probably! :~(

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

To all who use the ten finger grip:  Do you place your backhand (left) thumb around the grip (like a baseball bat) or under the thumb pad of your right hand? (More like a golf grip)

I seem to have better control when placing it under the right hand thumb pad area...

I connect the left thumb with the lifeline of the right hand. The thumb extends down the shaft, slightly favoring the right side.

John

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

It wasnt a shot so much as it was just stating the truth.  The vast majority of golf instructors will try to steer you away from the interlock for the reasons that I stated above.  Most high handicappers dont use their hands enough and an interlocking grip is only going to limit their wrist action, so its not a good grip for them.

Im sorry that some people cant accept the fact that the interlock isnt the end-all, be-all despite the fact that Jack and Tiger use it.

What are you talking about?  Interlock or Overlap is the most common grip in golf.  How is an interlock grip going to limit wrist action?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Ditch:

I am finding this baseball grip to be a real keeper...better distance, lower trajectory off the tee; better control with hybrids and irons and wedges.....much less fade too...

BTW: I tried that reverse overlap suggested by another poster and it was OK...but not as effective ...and it aggravated the back of my right pinkie....

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

To all who use the ten finger grip:  Do you place your backhand (left) thumb around the grip (like a baseball bat) or under the thumb pad of your right hand? (More like a golf grip)

I seem to have better control when placing it under the right hand thumb pad area...

mine goes under my right palm/hand as well.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I use it also as it is by far the most comfortable and provides for the most contact surface area on the grip

The problem I have is that my right pointer finger and middle finger as well takes over 90% control at impact resulting in pulled shots.   To correct for this I concentrate on having full contact on the grip with all 8 finger/palm knuckles and maintain this even pressure straight line full contact through impact.

I also find that my thumb pads must be on top. Any other way is very bad for me.  Oddly  enough I must remove my thumbs altogether when putting kind off like holding a baseball bat

when people say "baseball grip" do they mean both thumbs wrapped around the shaft like a baseball player?  a 10-finger golf grip has the lead hand thumb aligned with the shaft, much like an interlock or overlap would.   it seems like these terms are used interchangeably when it might be better to separate them.

nobackswing - people use them interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure everyone is probably referring to the 10 finger grip. Meaning, you wrap your hands like you would a baseball bat, but you then align your thumbs down the shaft of the club.

To the OP, I've used the 10-finger grip [or baseball grip] for almost 20 years. I started playing golf when I was in little league and adapted the baseball grip to the 10-finger and never really thought about changing it. Now, if I just play more than 5 times per year maybe I'll actually play to my handicap...

When I first started my friend showed me the three grips, and I just assumed I would use 10 finger. I then went home and started looking up grips on youtube and saw a couple guys say Tiger used interlocking. Well I changed from 10 finger to interlocking right at that moment before even hitting a ball lol. After reading this the post, I'm thinking about trying out that 10 finger grip now. I'll hit some balls with it next time out and see how it feels. I can't believe It never crossed my mind to at least try hitting a ball with a 10 finger group before.

Sincerely, Jim

started with interlock, went to baseball, now settled with overlap grip ... to each his own ... if it works for you ... YAY !!!

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!