IGNORED

Traveling With Clubs

Biddy
Note:Β This thread is 4035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by Motley01

That brings up a funny story.

Once I was traveling for business out to Cali and decided to take my clubs to get a round in.

I was waiting and waiting and waiting for my golf bag, and it never showed up. So I talk to the bag issues office for the airline. I told them I haven't seen my bag.

So we walk over to the carasel, and see another golf bag, and everyone is gone. Uh oh, somebody took my bag!!!!

So they ended up calling the guy who's bag was left. He was on his way home already. Told him he took my bag!!

I had a big tag on it clearly with my name and everything. Why are people in such a hurry, that they just grab the Β bag without looking at the label?

I was so pissed off, by the time he got back to the airport, and found this guy, got my bag and he got his. But 2 hours went by, and I missed my tee time.

Maybe your clubs were nicer.

I've never had club damage when traveling. and my cover is soft....whether flying or a train, probably isn't relevant to damage.

The one weird thing i like to do is place a golf umbrella in the bag so it's the tallest club.Β  I place top down in a slot so it fits tight....so it won't slide....

Knock on wood....my clubs have made a dozen round trips by air and never seen damage.Β  My cover has seen better days, but it still works....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm currently trying to hammer out a deal over Craigslist to secure a leather travel case to cover my bag for roughly 25, if that doesn't work out I'll most likely have to try placing the clubs in upside-down like one gentleman said earlier, snapping on the cover and putting a line or two of duct tape over it.

Alternatively, if anyone in the DC region has a bag they'd be willing to loan for a small fee/lunch (I could leave a photocopy of my drivers license so they knew my information or some other form of insurance?), or know of a shop that offers that, I'd be appreciative if somebody could point me in the right direction. I just hesitate to buy a bag I only really plan on using once.

I ended up sealing the deal on this bag off Craigslist for 40 and it's only been used once:

I pick it up Monday. I've read a few articles online about traveling with clubs, but are there any other tips I should know about other than just keeping the clubs in the bag and sliding them in? Thanks again for the help.

I'll be going to Virginia in the next few months occasionally for business. This is a great thread.May be time to invest in a hard case.

2013 Goal:

Β 

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Taking the heads off adjustable woods is a great idea.

I have a 48" PVC pipe that I put in my golf bag before putting the whole thing in a travel bag (Ogio "smaller" Β version called Straight Jacket). Since PVC Β arranged to be longer than any of my clubs, it stops any impact from getting down to the clubs. You can buy a gadget like this at Golfsmith for $30-$40. The PVC pipe costs a few dollars at Home Depot. (Plus, I wanted a 6' segment of PVC for a golf drill. At Home Depot, PVC pipe comes in 10' sections. So, I got the 4' section for travel "for free." I think the entire set up cost me $5)

One more thing -- mark your travel bag with tape, ribbon, color... some way to make sure someone doesn't accidentally take yours. Lots of black travel bags look the same. That is another reason I like my Ogio bag -- it is distinctive. No one will accidentally grab my bag. All that said, that Sun Mountain Club Glider looks like a heck of a bag. Order a crazy color and add something to make it distinctly yours.

You would think a 4 foot PVC pipe would send up all sorts of red flags with TSA...

Driver: Ping K15 10Β°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5Β°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56Β°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Administrator
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

You would think a 4 foot PVC pipe would send up all sorts of red flags with TSA...

Why? It's in checked baggage, for one, and they can open it up and look at it if they want.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Why? It's in checked baggage, for one, and they can open it up and look at it if they want.

And they do.

Upon returning from Scotland a few years ago, I found my bag had been searched and in addition to moving some dirty rain gear around, they included a set of head covers (still new in packaging) with the Scottish flag colors and cross plus a Scottish weekly golf magazine logo on them. I thought this was a odd and nice marketing touch and gift from Scotland golf. The other three guys I was traveling with, had no such gift. No one I know who visited Scotland has ever had a gift added to their travel bag. So, I'm guessing the searched my bag while searching others and put the head covers back in the wrong bag.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/Β Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23*Β hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

And they do.

Upon returning from Scotland a few years ago, I found my bag had been searched and in addition to moving some dirty rain gear around, they included a set of head covers (still new in packaging) with the Scottish flag colors and cross plus a Scottish weekly golf magazine logo on them. I thought this was a odd and nice marketing touch and gift from Scotland golf. The other three guys I was traveling with, had no such gift. No one I know who visited Scotland has ever had a gift added to their travel bag. So, I'm guessing the searched my bag while searching others and put the head covers back in the wrong bag.

When I went to South Africa last year, the company we booked through brought us some nice golf goodies when their agent met us at the airport. Each of us got an umbrella in the colors of the SA flag, Tees of the same color, as well as a towel and driver head cover.

Of course I say 'gave', but in reality it was well paid for.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 6 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm bumping this one and attempting to steer it slightly.Β  Has anybody done the Fedex thing when traveling?Β  They have great commercials ("You guys are only capable of hate" - "I don't hate golf"), but they don't elaborate on costs.Β  For that matter, I don't know what most airlines are charging for clubs these days either?

I might be making a trip with up to Montana this summer and there is supposedly a nice golf course right where we're going.Β  If that's the case, I don't want to miss out!

I think the fedex way is the best because you can insure your clubs and don't need a hard case.Β  On the cost, I am not sure how much it is but it can't be more than what the airline would charge and the convenience of it is nice too.Β  I am going to play one of the Disney courses in december and I am planning on using fedex to send my clubs.

Originally Posted by Joshsmit56001

I think the fedex way is the best because you can insure your clubs and don't need a hard case.Β  On the cost, I am not sure how much it is but it can't be more than what the airline would charge and the convenience of it is nice too.Β  I am going to play one of the Disney courses in december and I am planning on using fedex to send my clubs.

we have looked at fed ex for shipping our clubs to LakeΒ Tahoe it was around $250 per bag we have 28 -32 guys that go. one of or vendors offered to palletize the clubs and ship them via fed ex but the logistics to get them back is what we searching

Originally Posted by el shanko

we have looked at fed ex for shipping our clubs to LakeΒ Tahoe it was around $250 per bag we have 28 -32 guys that go. one of or vendors offered to palletize the clubs and ship them via fed ex but the logistics to get them back is what we searching

$250?!Β  I assume that's round trip?Β  Still a lot more than carrying it yourself even if you're paying an additional $50Β baggage fee.Β  I like the convenience, but I'll schlep another wheeled bag for $150....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Joshsmit56001

Yeah, I was searching around and found a calculator.Β  Here's the link: http://emails.fedex.com/m/p/fdx/fxcup/Golf-Shipping/ship.html Just plug in the zip codes.Β  For me, it looks like it would be about $70 total both ways.Β  (Using Fedex ground 3 day)Β  Pretty sure I can't beat that taking it on the plane, but I don't know for sure.Β  But the convenience of not having to lug them through the airport is pretty appealing.Β  Just show up at the course and they're there?Β  Can't beat that.Β  On the other hand, I have no idea what the return shipping would be like ... do courses have fedex pickups scheduled and all I have to do is re-box them after my round ... or is it on me to go find a fedex store.Β  Probably need to call the course for that one.Β  :)

Originally Posted by el shanko

Wow.Β  I wonder if you were looking at overnight prices or something.Β  According to the above calculator its $100 total round trip per bag.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For me, it looks like it would be about $70 total both ways.Β  (Using Fedex ground 3 day)

Are you sure that's both ways?Β Β Β  I just looked into shipping my clubs from San Diego to Monterey and the FedEx calculator shows $52 each way for slow ground, or a whopping $360 each way for express.Β Β Β Β Β  It's only a distance of about 460 miles, so I'd be surprised at a $35 each way cost unless you're just shipping them across town.

Originally Posted by David in FL

$250?!Β  I assume that's round trip?Β  Still a lot more than carrying it yourself even if you're paying an additional $50Β baggage fee.Β  I like the convenience, but I'll schlep another wheeled bag for $150....

this is what the host told me (my boss) i personally iΒ did not look it up. i notice some one posted aΒ link i will check it out. thanks.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Are you sure that's both ways?Β Β Β  I just looked into shipping my clubs from San Diego to Monterey and the FedEx calculator shows $52 each way for slow ground, or a whopping $360 each way for express.Β Β Β Β Β  It's only a distance of about 460 miles, so I'd be surprised at a $35 each way cost unless you're just shipping them across town.

Lake Forest, CAΒ (92630) to Anaconda, MT (59711) comes back with a Fedex Ground 3 day rate of $35.66 going there, and $33.52 coming back.

I couldn't figure out how to check the prices for overnight.

Also, if I put in Lake Forest (92630) to Pebble BeachΒ  (93953) it tells me that it's $23.66 each way for Fedex Ground 2 days.

Lake Forest, CAΒ (92630) to Anaconda, MT (59711) comes back with a Fedex Ground 3 day rate of $35.66 going there, and $33.52 coming back. I couldn't figure out how to check the prices for overnight. Also, if I put in Lake Forest (92630) to Pebble BeachΒ  (93953) it tells me that it's $23.66 each way for Fedex Ground 2 days.

Montana? Pebble I understand, but what GC are you going to in Montana?

Note:Β This thread is 4035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!