IGNORED

In the market for Blades - any suggestions?

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so here is the deal... I bought a set of MP-59's last fall when they first came out.  I really like them, but during the fitting process (last Fall) I also hit the MP-69 blades and loved them.  At the time, I was concerned with getting a blade and having buyers remorse.  But over the last 10mo+ - I've really been working on improving my game.  And my ball striking is getting consistent enough now, that I'm really interested in getting a set of blades.  I just think they look sleek and like the feel of the 69's.

I've already talked to my local fitter about buying the 69's, but I thought before I pull the trigger on a new set of 69's... I'd like to get feedback from users here on blades that they are currently playing, or eyeing.  The reason is that I don't want to make a decision without really thinking this through.

I'll also add... I've hit the Callaway Musclebacks at the Ely fitting event this past Spring and loved them.  So - I may consider those as well?

Anyway, any recommendations on blades would be appreciated.  Also - please for those users that have blades, please add which shaft (flex and type) you have. From the shaft side, I like the KBS tours that are in my 59's.  But I've also hit some Project X shafts that were sweet in the Musclebacks from Callaway.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They are all the same. Just get the one you think looks the best and/or is the cheapest.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

I personally like the Nike Blades in my sig because I prefer the thinner top line. I also like Titleist's 712 MBs and the Mizuno MP-69s but chose the Nike for the top line.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by pixel5

They are all the same. Just get the one you think looks the best and/or is the cheapest.

^^^This....they are effectively all the same. Here's an online video review of MP69 vs Titleist MB Forged. Lots of other great video comparisons available from this guy as well.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

• Administrator

Get the ones I play , the Piranha A-Blades. Best irons I've ever hit.

I sent you a PM too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't own any, nor will I be getting them anytime soon, but I really love the look of the Titleists.

During the winter, my instructor would tape up a couple irons every time during my lessons and I have to say the 712 MBs stood out. They're nice sticks - much better than the 710s. I don't like any new blades enough to kick my old TA1s or MP-11s out of the bag (even if they were available at 1/2 price), but if I was buying my first set of blades those and the Callaway Razr MBs would be on my short list - as they are on the OP's.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

Get the ones I play, the Piranha A-Blades. Best irons I've ever hit.

I sent you a PM too.

You only recommend brands you are sponsored by. This recommendation isn't really valid.

Either way, I don't think you need to go spend $800-1000 on a set of irons, especially blades. Go to ebay and look for a set in new/good condition. I play a set of MP-14's (circa 1999) and they play no differently than MP-69's (2012). Don't rule out the Nike VR Pro, and Cleveland 588 along with various Mizuno and Titleist blades. You should be able to find a good set for $300-500. Possibly even brand new (I've seen VR Pro's for $500 with the plastic still on em).

EDIT: From what I know, Nike bought the patent from Mizuno for the MP-14's to create their VR/Pro blades per request of Tiger Woods. He played MP-14's in all his amateur titles. Shows you how far iron technology has changed in blades; none at all.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Also, take it from me. I like my VR Pro Blades.

You only recommend brands you are sponsored by. This recommendation isn't really valid.

Either way, I don't think you need to go spend $800-1000 on a set of irons, especially blades. Go to ebay and look for a set in new/good condition. I play a set of MP-14's (circa 1999) and they play no differently than MP-69's (2012). Don't rule out the Nike VR Pro, and Cleveland 588 along with various Mizuno and Titleist blades. You should be able to find a good set for $300-500. Possibly even brand new (I've seen VR Pro's for $500 with the plastic still on em).

EDIT: From what I know, Nike bought the patent from Mizuno for the MP-14's to create their VR/Pro blades per request of Tiger Woods. He played MP-14's in all his amateur titles. Shows you how far iron technology has changed in blades; none at all.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Administrator

Incorrect. I'm not sponsored. I endorse them, and I do so for free. Have you seen my basement wall? :) I have plenty of brands of irons I could play (for little to no cost), and I chose to play the Piranha A-Blades.

This is true across the board. I'm not paid by Edel (and I'm damn sure not paid when someone on here visits someone else and buys a set). I paid for my Edel wedges when I could get others free. Ditto for the putter. Ditto for the True Linkswear shoes.

I'm not paid to sponsor anything, nor am I given consideration to sponsor anything. I endorse things the same way others here might endorse things, with the only exception being that they've likely bought the things they pay for and I will often get them discounted or free.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I play the Maltby Tricept F2 Forged and love them. I was playing on game improvement irons but I learned on old RAM blades and just couldn't stand the look. I love the Maltby irons as they have a little forgiveness in them but hit really nicely. I had the pro at our course build the set for me, I ordered all the parts. The shafts are the Apollo Acculite stiff and had the entire set built for just under $300. With the shafts I have it gets me a lot of height which for golf in our area with very small greens it is better to have a higher flight so the ball hits and sticks. I will be playing these irons for a long, long time!

If you're going to keep them forever, Miura Tournament Blades, or a combo of Mura Blades and CB-501's.

If you're a club ho' and just buying on a whim, Mizuno, TItleist, or try the Piranah ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I find that my Mizuno MP-32 (cut-muscle) blades are far better than my Nike forged blades (the original/first released version).  I used to think that blades mostly felt the same, but now I just can't agree with that at all.  The MP-32's feel like game improvement cavity backs when compared to the Nike blades...a seriously noticeable difference between the two.

Mind you, a scratch (or better) golfer may disagree as they would hit the sweet-spot every single strike of the ball with either set of irons.  I believe that the sweet spot seems bigger in the MP-32's per the difference in weight distribution between the two designs (from the research that I did).

*True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff Flex shafts on both sets.*

Quote:

Incorrect. I'm not sponsored. I endorse them, and I do so for free. Have you seen my basement wall? :) I have plenty of brands of irons I could play (for little to no cost), and I chose to play the Piranha A-Blades.

This is true across the board. I'm not paid by Edel (and I'm damn sure not paid when someone on here visits someone else and buys a set). I paid for my Edel wedges when I could get others free. Ditto for the putter. Ditto for the True Linkswear shoes.

I'm not paid to sponsor anything, nor am I given consideration to sponsor anything. I endorse things the same way others here might endorse things, with the only exception being that they've likely bought the things they pay for and I will often get them discounted or free.

Maybe he means it shows up in your signature and if some else put their favourite brand or irons in their signature . . . wait a minute . . . cancel that.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The V blades are gorgeous

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MbolicGolf

The V blades are gorgeous

Chuck Evans loves them. He was sponsored by Callaway, too, and switched. They're just a teeny bit longer heel to toe and with maybe a slightly thicker topline and a bit more offset, IIRC. I could have been happy playing the V-Blades, but I love the A-Blades.

I have the Adams Pro a12 and I'm not sure if they're blades, but they're about as close as you can get to it and I love them. It has a tiny muscle back. They are so smooth off the face and very easy to hit. Come with the KBS 90 shaft which for some people may or may not work, it's a mid to high launching shaft with mid to high spin. Although, the combination of the shafts and iron heads feel like butter, but honestly I would like a little more feel and get some better feedback.

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!